What's new
What's new

Recommend Torque Wrench For Collet Nuts

athack

Stainless
Hello All,

Please recommend a torque wrench to tighten collet nuts in a Cat40 fixture. I would like one with interchangeable wrench ends.

Thank You for the help.

its one thing to have torque wrench the other is what torque to use. often depends on tool holder what maximum torque it can take before it might crack or get damaged from too much torque. some tool holders have thicker wall thickness around collet. thinner walled ones will crack when torque too high.
and there is also metal fatigue issues over time where hairline cracks occur often unnoticed on older tool holders. usually see tool comp problems cause when under load crack opens up

Well darn, I just used the given spanner with my thumb near the collet with the other four wrapped around the handle. With the 100 & larger TG’s I might get a few inches out on the spanner but not much more than that…

Caterpillar OTOH has beam indicating wrenches for that stuff.

Good luck,
Matt

This newer generation of machinists and programmers want numbers for everything ( which I think is great). Torque for insert screw, torque for shell mill center screw, torque for collet nuts, the whole nine yards. These torque wrenches and interchangeable heads are getting pretty popular. To be honest i've yet to use one. But then again i've been doing this for 30 years so I have a built in torque wrench in my arm.

Torque wrenches for collet nuts, ha, ha. Then I tried it and shit, I was totally under torquing some things and over-torquing others, but mostly under-torquing. I now use a torque wrench on just about everything, even the 7 ft-lbs on the 1/4" sidelocks, and I am a one-person shop. Don't knock it till you try it for a while. Good setups are all about consistency right? Torquing your tools and clamps goes a long way to improving consistency.

Haas did a Tip of the Day a while ago on why you would want to use a consistent and correct torque for tightening collets. They make a pretty strong case. Worth watching.

The first time you see a 6" long 3/4 endmill come out of a holder @18,000rpm and skate around spinning on the table you have a new appreciation for using a torque wrench to tighten collet holders... Your definition of tight, vs someone else's are two completely different things, unless you can give them a number and have them "click" it.

Ya know, I don't get torque wrenches for collets (maybe small ones, er11..?) but I REALLY DO APPRECIATE THEM for setting stuff in a vise. Soooo much easier to have a guy tighten to a click, than 'feel', especially if they are new to machining...

Frank,

Any plans to add something for ER-11? I'd think they'd be a bit more finicky being so small and fragile.

Thanks!

Yes. We have a smaller torque wrench on order ( same end connection). It will have a smaller torque range and will accommodate ER11, ER11M, and ER16M. Adapters are in the works also. Maybe 6-8 weeks for everything.

So my question is does everyone need this and why? The reason I ask is I've been using er holders for a long time and have never had an issue. Is it an accuracy thing or?

So my question is does everyone need this and why? The reason I ask is I've been using er holders for a long time and have never had an issue. Is it an accuracy thing or?

Process reliability, repeatability between multiple operators. If you're a one man shop or all your operators are experienced you likely won't need it unless you're pushing the limits of the holder. But everyone has a different notion of "snug". You could have a moderately aggressive program proven out and reliable with one operator, which becomes unreliable when another operator takes over who doesn't tighten as much. Conversely you can have someone over tighten and damage your holders and nuts.

Process reliability, repeatability between multiple operators. If you're a one man shop or all your operators are experienced you likely won't need it unless you're pushing the limits of the holder. But everyone has a different notion of "snug". You could have a moderately aggressive program proven out and reliable with one operator, which becomes unreliable when another operator takes over who doesn't tighten as much. Conversely you can have someone over tighten and damage your holders and nuts.

So this is more production control aimed...one may call it poka-yoke

Try one out and see how close you have been torquing your nuts or side lock screws to what they are supposed to be. It is not just for production or because there is more than one person doing it. If a tool moves or a part moves it is nice to know for certain that it is not because something was not quite as tight as it should be.

I already had a 1/2" drive torque wrench and deep sockets so trying it out was a no brainer, just took me 20 years longer than it should have.

Try one out and see how close you have been torquing your nuts or side lock screws to what they are supposed to be. It is not just for production or because there is more than one person doing it. If a tool moves or a part moves it is nice to know for certain that it is not because something was not quite as tight as it should be.

I already had a 1/2" drive torque wrench and deep sockets so trying it out was a no brainer, just took me 20 years longer than it should have.

Interesting observation. I like the idea for progress control, but to each their own!

Back