Recommendation for facemill - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with you guys that its more the cost per part you need to worry about but we just a small job. Actually we have 2 shops and I am the manager of the one. We only have 3 guys there, me and 2 others. Most of the machines are manual 5" boring G&L boring mills. We do have one Mazak vtc16 cnc mill. Most of the square cutting inserts are used on the boring mills milling slots on the side of bearing housings for overhead cranes. These are steel burnouts and sometimes kind of ugly. The slots are not always the same width but usually about 4" wide and 3/8" deep. Sometimes we have 2 parts and sometimes maybe 16 parts so its hard to tell how much it is costing per part. I do also use the square cutting inserts on the cnc from time to time mostly profiling parts but usually never any real great numbers of parts. Im just looking for a cutter that would cut as well or better than the sandvic cutters we have but maybe be a little cheaper on inserts. My boss bought me 2" cutter for the cnc that takes tpg 332 inserts because they are really cheap. I tried to run it like and I run the sandvic cutter and it quickly broke all 4 inserts before I could even get it shut down. Those don't hold up at all. I have a cutter that I own personally that I use in my home shop that takes apkt inserts and it cuts well but only having 2 usable edges is kind of draw back

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TPG 322 mill cutters are for manual machines.
    I know of no decent mill cutter that uses tnmg 432 inserts.
    There is a whole big problem in such a design on reasonable cutter diameters.
    Just go real slow and tell the boss that it's cheaper that way as the tools costs less per hour.
    Bob

3. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We a couple 4" cutters that take tnmg 432 inserts and they cut pretty well on the boring mills. The inserts also hold up pretty well but they don't cut a true 90 degree shoulder. They are also not near as free cutting as the sandvic cutters and on a small machine they take more power. the boring mills don't seem to mind too much. The guys would much rather run the sandvic cutters and I don't blame them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well seeing as you are looking for a suggestion. I would suggest a Kennametal Mill 4-15, Mill 4-11, or Mill 4-12KT. They are all reasonably economical modern shoulder milling platforms. They utilize modern carbide grades and coatings and are pretty free cutting. Properly applied they should last a good deal longer than the square inserts. You will also be able to get 4 corners per insert. If you are only facing and want to keep the cutting forces down, it's hard to beat the Dodeka platform in structural steels. You should be able to touch an hour in tool life per edge properly applied. 12 edges per insert, gives you great economy.

I may be somewhat biased these days, but I went to these platforms a few times as a customer, and nobody came in that could beat them by near enough to justify buying new cutter bodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by huskermcdoogle View Post
    Well seeing as you are looking for a suggestion. I would suggest a Kennametal Mill 4-15, Mill 4-11, or Mill 4-12KT. They are all reasonably economical modern shoulder milling platforms. They utilize modern carbide grades and coatings and are pretty free cutting. Properly applied they should last a good deal longer than the square inserts. You will also be able to get 4 corners per insert. If you are only facing and want to keep the cutting forces down, it's hard to beat the Dodeka platform in structural steels. You should be able to touch an hour in tool life per edge properly applied. 12 edges per insert, gives you great economy.

I may be somewhat biased these days, but I went to these platforms a few times as a customer, and nobody came in that could beat them by near enough to justify buying new cutter bodies.
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know roughly what those inserts would cost. Just a ball park figure would be fine. We have a kyocerra 6" cutter that usually use on the boring mills just for facing without needing a square shoulder. These inserts have 5 edges plus you flip them. We have had jobs that had 4" of stock on a piece 24" square and it will remove all that stock without even changing the inserts. We run it 200rpm and feed as fast as the machine will go which I if I recall correctly is 40in/min. These inserts are rather pricy also but we get so much cutting from them they pay for themselves.