What's new
What's new

Recommendations for Coolant for HAAS for Part Time Mill

SobtzakTech

Plastic
Hi All,
Got another quick one. I got my HAAS TM-1P mill up and running. I need coolant. My mill isn't going to be running 8hrs a day or anything. Its a side business so running in the evenings/weekends. What is a decent, middle-of-the road coolant? There's so many choices, I thought I'd ask. I'm mainly going to be milling mild steel and aluminum.

Any feedback is appreciated!
Thanks,
Tom

I'm in a similar position, VMC in the garage, side business, and in Arizona. I might go a week or two without firing up my mill. I like trimsol 585XT. Never goes sour, works well, and doesn't stink up the house. Almost always on sale at MSC, about 175 for 5 gal and lasts me about a year on average. Zero issues with rust, buildup, or stripping paint in the machine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Didn't mean for the fangs to come out. I've heard of Cool-X. Is that the stuff made by Motorex and marketed as a 'spindle coolant'?
Wasn't quite sure what they meant by that.. cb750chris, sounds like you're set up just like me. Thanks for the info!

Thanks guys. Didn't mean for the fangs to come out. I've heard of Cool-X. Is that the stuff made by Motorex and marketed as a 'spindle coolant'?
Wasn't quite sure what they meant by that.. cb750chris, sounds like you're set up just like me. Thanks for the info!

It was invented by the guy that made Rain-X. It uses some fancy-dancy nano-technology blah-blah-blah. :D
I like it because we get good tool life, it's a nice milky white color, and doesn't smell. I don't really like the 585XT because of the smell. If you're in Michigan, MT Advantage would be your distributor.

I don't know if their claims are accurate, so get your grains of salt ready.

Tool-X(R) - Tool-X

I’m in a similar situation, but I can go months without turning on a machine. I use Qualichem Xtreme Cut 250C.

Probably even more important for idle time and coolant is a bubbler and skimmer, or other coolant cleaner. I use a Zebra coalescer on both my mill and turning center. Works great! I changed over to the 250C about three years ago and it still works (and smells) like new.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention: once you figure out what coolant you want to run, try contacting the coolant company. Tell them you have a new mill and you are thinking of trying their coolant. There’s a good chance they will send you a free pail to try. They want you as a long term customer and competition is high between manufacturers.

I would look into minimum quantity lubrication for quick less demanding jobs, we use a koolmist on our knee mills. For coolant longevity especially when it will sit idle a skimmer, air bubbler, and good source of pure water will go a very long way in keeping the smell down. Find a coolant that lubricates, doesn't foam, prevents rust, prevents staining, doesn't eat seals, and let me know when you find one that does all of the above. We use ICC-225A and it does all of the above except preventing staining under vises etc. without a rust preventative. Blaser synergy 735 is something I have been meaning to try.

Thanks All.
ChipSplitter. That's good info. I'll get a hold of the supplier you note.
Eric U. I've heard of having a bubbler or something to help keep it fresh. One guy even he's seen people get an aquarium system and used that to help keep the coolant fresh. I might have to try your idea of contacting the companies! :)
Octane Workhold - I've used the koolmist on my small knee mill. It worked well. Again, will have to do the bubbler to help!

Thanks!
Tom

I second the 250C ,,, I have used it for years and still have the original batch in a machine ,, I clean the coolant by filtering it throe a pair of old jeans ever 3 or 4 months and clean out the sump at that time ,, just give it a try with your water and see how it does ,, some guys have had problems with there water. not all coolant well work good with all types of water.

I second the 250C ,,, I have used it for years and still have the original batch in a machine ,, I clean the coolant by filtering it throe a pair of old jeans ever 3 or 4 months and clean out the sump at that time ,, just give it a try with your water and see how it does ,, some guys have had problems with there water. not all coolant well work good with all types of water.

D.D. I'm guessing you transfer the coolant from the sump to another clean tank, so you can clean the sump?

I've used 251c for 3 years, works great. I top off with distilled water.

Got another quick one. I got my HAAS TM-1P mill up and running. I need coolant. My mill isn't going to be running 8hrs a day or anything. Its a side business so running in the evenings/weekends. What is a decent, middle-of-the road coolant? There's so many choices, I thought I'd ask. I'm mainly going to be milling mild steel and aluminum.

I ran Qualichem 251C in intermittent use like that for years. Worked great. Recently switched over to Trim 690XT and that's been doing really well for me as well.

I ran Qualichem 251C in intermittent use like that for years. Worked great. Recently switched over to Trim 690XT and that's been doing really well for me as well.

I’m curious, why did you switch to trim? Did you see lost in performance from 251c, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Qualichem 231 at about 8% concentration, it cuts well, but lots of residue, and smells like dish soap. I might try to reduce the concentration a little bit, as its a pain to have while welding.

Back