What's new
What's new

Rectangular Bar Stock in CNC Lathe

pebbert9

Plastic
We machine a lot of rectangular brass. Typically we cut the brass to length and then use fixtures to hold them in the CNC mill.

I was thinking we could move to a CNC lathe with live tooling and cut out the cutting and fixturing by feeding bar stock.

Is there a good way to hold rectangular bar stock in a CNC lathe in sizes around 0.75" x 1.00" or 1" x 2"?

S-style collet pads and collet chuck. Buy a set of 2" square and a set of 1" square collet pads and you can mix and match. Coupled with the right size spindle liner it should work really well.

Measure across the diagonals and bore a set of soft jaws that are wide enough to catch all 4 corners.

Or Bore a flanged split sleeve to across corners dim (which can be bolted to a soft jaw face if desired) and put in a couple of radial set screws so the stock can only go in one way.

Etc etc etc

We machine a lot of rectangular brass. Typically we cut the brass to length and then use fixtures to hold them in the CNC mill.

I was thinking we could move to a CNC lathe with live tooling and cut out the cutting and fixturing by feeding bar stock.

Is there a good way to hold rectangular bar stock in a CNC lathe in sizes around 0.75" x 1.00" or 1" x 2"?

the 3/4 x 1" is avail in a 16c collet from hardinge I am sure the other sizes or both are avail in bigger collets and pads.
the only problem you will have with long stock is the liners and bar feed beating up the edges of the stock.

A Royal Quick-Grip or Hardinge Flex-C collet chuck with wire-EDM'd collets should do the trick. You'll need one of these larger collet chucks for the 1x2.

As for spindle liners, Trusty Cook makes urethane liners to spec and shape.

This is dooable in S26's as they have 4 splits.
I use a similar method of mixing rounds to throw a bar out of center a bit too.

If you get into S30's tho, I think those have 6 splits? If so - you would need custom pads.

This wouldn't be too bad at all unless you are trying to put a magazine loader on it as well.
If so - the challenge would be that the bar wouldn't drop the same every time.

Also - Hardinge will make any shape in any collet to your spec if you want a solid collet, or custom pads.
I have several custom shaped collets around here.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Also - Hardinge will make any shape in any collet to your spec if you want a solid collet, or custom pads.
I have several custom shaped collets around here.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have a few custom W&S style custom collet pads here, one set is for a largish rectangular bar in #5 W&S size. The rectangle is offset in the long direction, they were used in a turning center to make brass fittings. IIRC the name on them is Hardinge.

the only problem you will have with long stock is the liners and bar feed beating up the edges of the stock.

Nah, you just make a plastic ring with the rectangle hole through it to slide tightly over the bar end and use a liner for the size of the ring OD.

spindle liner

here's a liner we had trusty cook make for us. Also LNS has a kit for
square/irregular shaped stock that helps align the stock on the bar loader.
trustycook_liner.jpg

Back