What's new
What's new

Regular maintenance for Sharp VMC?

gundog

Hot Rolled
I bought this machine used in November and I am wondering if I should be performing any maintenance on it besides keeping the chips cleaned out. It has auto way lube and I keep that filled. I have looked through the piss poor manual that I got with it and find no maintenance section I have also downloaded everything I can find on it but I have found nothing. I ask because I remember the guy that I talked to at the company I bought it from said something about greasing the carousel. Anyone have a maintenance manual for one of these? Mine is a SVL2416SE-M I have the user manual and it doesn't have a maintenance section. I would just like to know if I should be doing something I am not.

Thanks Mike

I have a sharp 2412 with a fanuc control , I bought it new in 2005.I haven't done much of anything to mine. Keep the way lube full I greased the carousel a couple of times after cleaning out the chips.
One thing i would suggest is use clear way oil like Conoco
clear waylube . I was using mobil vactra number 2.
I cleaned out the waylube tank after about 5 years of use and it had about half inch of a amber residue looked like pine tree sap. I have never adjusted the gibs I do check and make sure the oilers are not clogged.

Its been a good machine.

I have a sharp 2412 with a fanuc control , I bought it new in 2005.I haven't done much of anything to mine. Keep the way lube full I greased the carousel a couple of times after cleaning out the chips.
One thing i would suggest is use clear way oil like Conoco
clear waylube . I was using mobil vactra number 2.
I cleaned out the waylube tank after about 5 years of use and it had about half inch of a amber residue looked like pine tree sap. I have never adjusted the gibs I do check and make sure the oilers are not clogged.

Its been a good machine.

What is involved with greasing the carousel? does it have zert fittings or just add grease to the wear surfaces?

No Sharp experience but, if it has a geneva wheel on your carousel like my Enshu then you grease the surfaces where the roller contacts it, I brush it on. While you are at it grease the door rub points too and perhaps the pivot point occasionally.

It is good to test the seals on your way covers with a feeler gage, you shouldn't be able to get anything under the seal. As Kallam said, make sure oil is getting past the metering units once or twice a year, been about 4 for me but it's on my list.

Back