What's new
What's new

Removing stuck tools from Sandvik Hydro Grip toolholders

Rapid_Tech

Aluminum
Hey Guys,

I purchased some used Sandvik hydro grip toolholders, with tools already in them, and I'm having trouble removing the tools from a few of them. These are the older hydro grip holders that use a separate clamping device that you have to pump by hand. Very little information is available about these toolholders and were replaced by a newer design which uses only a screw on the side of the toolholder to pressurize fluid for clamping.

The clamping unit I have has a toggle valve with three positions (A/Pressure release/B). A is meant for clamping tools and goes up to 500psi. B goes up to 800psi and is meant for unclamping. The center position for the valve is the pressure release.

I have a feeling the stuck holder were mistakenly clamped with the valve on the B position at the higher pressure. Is anyone familiar with these toolholders and know of a way to unclamp tools that may have been incorrectly clamped?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I used to repair hydro grips..the kind that had a screw that pushed the grease to make tight..often guys would pressure on a wore shank and then the Id would become a little tight.. i would release the pressure and push out the tool shank. try the proper size..if it was too tight to push in , I would rouge lap only the chucking area..before and after he chucking the bore should be .0005 to .001 or so larger that the tool shank size.

I didn't mention that the tools that are stuck are mainly carbide endmills and the shank that is exposed looks like new so I don't think it is a result of worn shanks.

When unclamping the tools that did manage to come out, I had the toggle valve on the B side and as you build up the pressure to 600-700psi you suddenly see the pressure drop on the gauge with no more resistance when pumping. Tool slides out like nothing. With the stuck tools, you can pump all the way to the max of 800psi but you don't feel anything release. I can give the tool a good smack with a hammer but it ain't moving anywhere when tight.

Had that happen before where I used to work. The sandvik guy brought a hand pump unit that made higher pressure than the air driven one we used, and was able to get them to pop. I always hated those chucks, such a pain in the ass. Are they the old system, with the sliding plastic ring, and the whole outside of the chuck moves, or the newer one where the outside is solid and the moving parts are internal?

Thanks for the info, it's good to know that there's a way to remove these bastards.

The chucks I have are, I think, the previous generation from the new coro grip 930 that don't require a separate clamping unit.

Here's what my chucks and clamping unit look like:

sandvik-cat50-coromant-hydraulic-holder-a392-455hmd-50-26-078-cat-50-lot-c7928-45770373.jpg

pump.jpg

Back