What's new
What's new

Removing very minor surface rust from steel parts

Captdave

Titanium
Have ~500 steel parts that have been in our storage shed for several years that have a very minor amount of surface rust that needs to to cleaned before they can be sent out. I would prefer to use a liquid in a 5 gal bucket as they have threaded areas that would make it difficult to do by hand.

Hope to find a mild acid of some sort that wouldn't require a chem suit and SCUBA gear to use and time in bucket isn't a big deal just need to be clean.

What would you recommend?

IME acids can leave stain marks, a quick tumble in a vibratory polisher with something as soft as kiln dried paving sands worked well for me before.

I've used WD-40 and stainless steel wool to pretty good effect. Now that I think about it Kroil has worked really well for that too.

Get a bucket and fill it with paint thinner and let parts soak a day or so.

May need a wire brush depending on shapes.

Paint thinner is really thin oil so it will have an oil film.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Plain old muriatic acid from the hardware store diluted with water will work perfectly. Rinse vert thoroughly and then dip into a water displacing rust preventative. We like Prism Lubricants's RP-4 much cheaper and longer lasting than WD-40. RP-4 leaves a very thin waxy film on the parts for up to one year in storage.

DO THIS IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA PREFERABLY OUT OF DOORS. WEAR PROPER PPE ETC.

I would suggest something like The Must For Rust or something equivalent product for lime and scale removal. But those tend to darken surfaces. And since you have threaded parts that would mean a lot of cleaning. Instead go to the supermarket and get a couple of gallons of vinegar (about $1/gal). Use some agitation with a stick every hour or so. Process will take a few hours because the solution is not that strong.

I would suggest something like The Must For Rust or something equivalent product for lime and scale removal. But those tend to darken surfaces. And since you have threaded parts that would mean a lot of cleaning. Instead go to the supermarket and get a couple of gallons of vinegar (about $1/gal). Use some agitation with a stick every hour or so. Process will take a few hours because the solution is not that strong.

Plain white vinegar is a cleaning agent far too few people seem know about. I always have a couple gallons on hand at home.

We had a gallon of this aluminum brightener from NAPA that has been on the shelf for years so thought I would at least give it a try.

After 1 hour in the bucket the parts come out amazingly clean and free of any rust staining, rinse in clear water and immediately dip in Rustlick B and good to go!

Haven't looked on the net to see what in it but very low odor.

Aluminum Brightnener.jpg

Another vote for Evap-O-Rust. I use it for rust removal for old car parts. Amazing performance for my purposes, but it may not give you the appearance you are looking for for your parts, would just have to try it an see.

Back