What's new
What's new

Renishaw install, fanuc connection manual

jimbojones10000

Plastic
Hello,

I'm pretty new to CNC machining, and have until now not resorted to asking for help!

Ive got my machine up and running(hardinge GX710 Fanuc 0im) and decided i need a probe, got a cheap MP10 and OMM+MI12, ive just got back a quote from Hardinge to fit it, they want£3100!!!! 2 days at £680 a day, plus the shank and ring gauge, plus the software license.

I understand that there is a need for professionals installation of things but ive had a look at the MI12 box and manual and there seems nothing to it, the only sticking point being the lack of the Fanuc connection manual, there is a 5 week lead time on fanuc manuals as they print them for you(madness!).

I was wondering if someone could advise me as to how tricky wiring in and setting up a probe is(all the parts are NOS so shouldnt be knackered), from the hardinge quote it seems i dont need any more equipment(i thought from looking in the back of the machine perhaps i needed some break out board, but they havent listed one).

I dont really want hardinge(UK) installing it anyway as they have to be the grumpiest and least helpful and understanding bunch ive had to deal with. They really make you dread ringing them up.

Thanks for any help.

If you can get to the Renishaw documentation, it will walk you through the connections.
Granted, then you need software. Either bought, or written by you...

The Renishaw manuals were available online. Sorry, a bit busy to do the search today.
Maybe later.
Let us know.

Call Renishaw and find out how much they want to fit it

I think they were charging about £3500 at the Mach show for a probe+installation.

Boris

Heidenhain 530.... open the back and top of machine, run cable from IR reciever to port X42(I think it is).... then its got to be set up and calibrated :eek:

Hello,

I'm pretty new to CNC machining, and have until now not resorted to asking for help!

Ive got my machine up and running(hardinge GX710 Fanuc 0im) and decided i need a probe, got a cheap MP10 and OMM+MI12, ive just got back a quote from Hardinge to fit it, they want£3100!!!! 2 days at £680 a day, plus the shank and ring gauge, plus the software license.

I understand that there is a need for professionals installation of things but ive had a look at the MI12 box and manual and there seems nothing to it, the only sticking point being the lack of the Fanuc connection manual, there is a 5 week lead time on fanuc manuals as they print them for you(madness!).

I was wondering if someone could advise me as to how tricky wiring in and setting up a probe is(all the parts are NOS so shouldnt be knackered), from the hardinge quote it seems i dont need any more equipment(i thought from looking in the back of the machine perhaps i needed some break out board, but they havent listed one).

I dont really want hardinge(UK) installing it anyway as they have to be the grumpiest and least helpful and understanding bunch ive had to deal with. They really make you dread ringing them up.

Thanks for any help.

Installing on Fanuc is relatively easy. If you are familiar with electronic tools (small screwdriver, cutter, pliers etc.), have basic understanding of electrical systems (power supply, plus, minus), and can and want spend some time installing the system, I can help you with step by step guidance. The installation of the MP10/OMM/MI12 on this machine should take no more then 3 hours for experienced guy. It will take you more, but 3100 quit will remain in your hands !!
So let's start with lesson 1. Two steps in this lesson.

Step 1.
Check if your control has Custom Macro B and G31 Skip Function options.
Check if memory size is sufficient. The the set of basic setting and measuring routines (why probe suppliers call it software !?) is about 10 kB, and they stay resident in memory for good.

If answer to theses is positive continue to step 2.

Step 2.
SWITCH THE POWER OFF !!!
Open electric cabinet and using the electric connections manual as reference locate following terminals:
24 volt + (Plus)
24 volt -(Minus or Zero)
SKIP signal (normally connected to X4.7 input of Fanuc).

Lesson 1 is finished.

If you succeeded with these tasks, the complicated, brain demanding part of installation is done. The rest is just running and connecting the cables.

Lesson 2 will follow on demand.

Installing on Fanuc is relatively easy. If you are familiar with electronic tools (small screwdriver, cutter, pliers etc.), have basic understanding of electrical systems (power supply, plus, minus), and can and want spend some time installing the system, I can help you with step by step guidance. The installation of the MP10/OMM/MI12 on this machine should take no more then 3 hours for experienced guy. It will take you more, but 3100 quit will remain in your hands !!
So let's start with lesson 1. Two steps in this lesson.

Step 1.
Check if your control has Custom Macro B and G31 Skip Function options.
Check if memory size is sufficient. The the set of basic setting and measuring routines (why probe suppliers call it software !?) is about 10 kB, and they stay resident in memory for good.

If answer to theses is positive continue to step 2.

Step 2.
SWITCH THE POWER OFF !!!
Open electric cabinet and using the electric connections manual as reference locate following terminals:
24 volt + (Plus)
24 volt -(Minus or Zero)
SKIP signal (normally connected to X4.7 input of Fanuc).

Lesson 1 is finished.

If you succeeded with these tasks, the complicated, brain demanding part of installation is done. The rest is just running and connecting the cables.

Lesson 2 will follow on demand.

As I got some likes for lesson 1, here is lesson 2.
The proposed installation is the simplest one. There will be no M function needed to turn the probe ON and OFF. All protective features will be covered in macro. This minimizes the wiring operation to minimum.

Step 1.
Check if your OMM (Optical Module Machine) is supplied with mounting bracket. The mounting bracket allows some manipulation, while aligning the OMM to "look" in the direction of the spindle. Optical systems must have direct sight between the OMM and the probe. If mounting bracket is available, install the OMM on the left side of the back wall of the machine splash guard and align it accordingly. Drill hole beneath and run the cable to the back of the machine (use some conduit to protect the cable). If mounting bracket is not available, mount the OMM on the left wall of splash guard, "looking" on the spindle. The reason of mounting the OMM on the left side is to prevent the interference of the line of sight with rotary table, normally mounted on the right side of the table.

Step 2.
Run the grey 5 wires cable of the OMM into the electrical cabinet.

Step 3.
Open the MI12 interface box. On the back side of the cover you will see the schematic diagram with connections. In any way connect as follows:
1. The cable from OMM:
Terminal 1 - Yellow
Terminal 2 - Grey
Terminal 3 - White
Terminal 4 - Green
Terminal 5 - Brown

2. Power supply
Terminal 17 - 0 VDC
Terminal 16, bridged to terminals 15 and 24 - 24 VDC

3. Terminal 14 OR Terminal 23 - SKIP signal.

Connect the SKIP signal to terminal 14 at the beginning. Final connection will be decided during testing.

On the MI12 board you will find 2 banks of colorful dip switches. On the bank close to terminal block place switch number 3 (orange) in ON position (close to the terminal). All others in OFF position. On second bank - all switches in OFF position.

The wiring is finished. Recheck all connections and switch the power on. Start up the machine.
Observe the OMM. The red LED shoud lit steady, and amber should blink approximately 1 blink per second.

Lesson 2 is finished.

Lesson 3 to follow.

Last edited:
Wow thanks, sorry i didnt reply earlier, i must not have set up my account to notify me of replies, so i assumed no one had. Ive used another popular CNC forum before and never got much in the way of help!!

I'll have a look today.

Thanks again.

SO i had a dig about this morning, and made the sensible step of retrieving the Hardinge wiring manual from behind the bookshelf it fell off!To be honest i thought it was a parts manual and only retrieved it as a last ditch effort before ordering the Fanuc one. It has a page dedicated to the install of MI8, MI12's found the wires and its in a nice break out box thing, with the money saved i bought myself a ts27r and MI8, should get the renishaw shank tomorrow so will install it then.

cheers and i look forward to lesson 3.

As I got some likes for lesson 1, here is lesson 2.
The proposed installation is the simplest one. There will be no M function needed to turn the probe ON and OFF. All protective features will be covered in macro. This minimizes the wiring operation to minimum.

Step 1.
Check if your OMM (Optical Module Machine) is supplied with mounting bracket. The mounting bracket allows some manipulation, while aligning the OMM to "look" in the direction of the spindle. Optical systems must have direct sight between the OMM and the probe. If mounting bracket is available, install the OMM on the left side of the back wall of the machine splash guard and align it accordingly. Drill hole beneath and run the cable to the back of the machine (use some conduit to protect the cable). If mounting bracket is not available, mount the OMM on the left wall of splash guard, "looking" on the spindle. The reason of mounting the OMM on the left side is to prevent the interference of the line of sight with rotary table, normally mounted on the right side of the table.

Step 2.
Run the grey 5 wires cable of the OMM into the electrical cabinet.

Step 3.
Open the MI12 interface box. On the back side of the cover you will see the schematic diagram with connections. In any way connect as follows:
1. The cable from OMM:
Terminal 1 - Yellow
Terminal 2 - Grey
Terminal 3 - White
Terminal 4 - Green
Terminal 5 - Brown

2. Power supply
Terminal 17 - 0 VDC
Terminal 16, bridged to terminals 15 and 24 - 24 VDC

3. Terminal 14 OR Terminal 23 - SKIP signal.

Connect the SKIP signal to terminal 14 at the beginning. Final connection will be decided during testing.

On the MI12 board you will find 2 banks of colorful dip switches. On the bank close to terminal block place switch number 3 (orange) in ON position (close to the terminal). All others in OFF position. On second bank - all switches in OFF position.

The wiring is finished. Recheck all connections and switch the power on. Start up the machine.
Observe the OMM. The red LED shoud lit steady, and amber should blink approximately 1 blink per second.

Lesson 2 is finished.

Lesson 3 to follow.

Lesson 3.
Now, as the wiring is finished and OMM is under power, we will have to deal with the MP10 probe itself. The probe can be preset to different modes of operation. Switching ON is always by means of the Start signal from OMM. Switching OFF can be by signal from OMM or by internal timer. As we use the method of AUTO switch on (no M function needed for that), the timer method will be used for OFF.
We will have to find out how the MP10 is presetted. Install the battery, take the probe in your hand and "show" it to OMM. The probe should immediately go ON: the green LED comes on in OMM, the led on the probe blinks green.
Take the probe out of the machine. Make sure that green led on the OMM is off. The green led on the probe blinks. Leave the probe for 3 minutes. If after 3 minutes it still blinks green, we'll have to change its preset, otherwise it is ready to use. It will switch ON as soon as OMM "sees" it, and remain on for the timer period. Each trigger from touch resets the timer to zero. When probe is returned to tool magazine, it will switch off when timer counts down.
If the probe remeins ON (green LED blinking) after 3 minutes, take the battery off. The mode of operation must be changed. The MP10 is mounted from 2 modules: The Probe Module (cone like part, at the end of which the stylus is mounted) and Optical Module. We will have to dismantle the Probe Module. Open 3 small Allen screws and PUSH (DO NOT ROTATE !!) the Probe Module from the Optical Module. In the Optical Module you will see small round window in the PCB, and inside DIP switch. Switches 2 and 3 have to be in OFF position. Shift them accordingly). Observe the contacts on Probe Module and Optical Module when mounting the parts back. Reinstall the battery and repeat the switch ON - switch OFF routine to assure that it works correctly now.

The system is now ready for trial.
Lesson 3 is finished.

Lesson 4 to follow.

I got my probe working perfectly, at which point i moved onto the tool height setter, which now works great(thanks PROBE for sharing your macro), except now the probe doesnt work! As far as i can tell the wiring wasnt disturbed when i added the tool setter, the box beeps when you touch the probe but it seems like no skip signal is being sent.

I wired the two probes up as per the machine tool manufacturers instructions(i couldnt use your method as my tool magazine is a umbrella type and the probe is always in view of the OMM so never turns off), which meant they got M codes to turn them on, M26 for the tool height and M27 for the probe, but there is no specified M code to turn them off. I dont know if thats the problem, in the renishaw probe install readme it says diagnostic bit X1004 and X0047 should respond to the skip input, but thats for 16i and 18i, there is no reference to my 0iM so i dont know if the skip isnt being recieved or if im looking at the wrong bits?

Any help would be great as short of removing the tool height setter im totally stuck.

Cheers

Further to this question, i found the skip diag bit, its X0004.7 and SKIPP is G0006.6 both respond to the tool height setter, but not the probe, they also only respond to the tool height setter if you execute the M26 command to turn it on, and when you execute M27 to turn on the probe the tool setter no longer activates the skip command, which all seems right but just no signal from the probe.

Thanks again for any help.

I solved this problem, if it helps anyone else, i switched to using input 23 and 24 for the SKIP, this seemed to work, although the jumpers require changing as the default is normally closed for the 23/24 input, so i changed jumper 2 on SW3 to on, which changes 23/24 to SKIP N/O which isnt the same as Probe status N/O but i cant see any difference and Renishaw said its essentially the same thing.

I need help to install Renishaw OTS and OMP 40 on Fanuc Oi md

I need to install Renishaw kit OTS with OMP 40 prob on Vmc with Fanuc Oi md

How to find out if machine has macro b installed ?

Help

I solved this problem, if it helps anyone else, i switched to using input 23 and 24 for the SKIP, this seemed to work, although the jumpers require changing as the default is normally closed for the 23/24 input, so i changed jumper 2 on SW3 to on, which changes 23/24 to SKIP N/O which isnt the same as Probe status N/O but i cant see any difference and Renishaw said its essentially the same thing.

Back