What's new
What's new

Renishaw Probe, Setting Mulitple Offsets Sequentially, Needs a Dwell?

Kyle Smith

Stainless
Classic Control, Hass TM-2P, with Renishaw Probe.

When I tried to use probing cycles back to back I would get a "Probe Startup Failure". Through trial and error I added a dwell of 12 seconds between the cycles and this fixed the problem. I tried different dwell times and figured out 12 seconds was about the minimum. Once one of the yellow LEDs went out on the mounted receiver I had to wait an additional 5 seconds. Is this just the way it is or is there a setting or programming technique to avoid this issue?

(PROBE LOCATION OF BORE);
T10 M06;
G90 G17 G40 G80;
G54;
G00 X0 Y0 A-90;
G43 H10 Z-0.4;
G65 P9995 W54. A10. D0.9;
G04 P12.
#5241= #5221;
#5261= #5221;
G00 G90 Z3.
;
;
(PROBE LOCATION OF TANG);
T10 M06;
G90 G17 G40 G80;
G54;
G00 X0 Y1.97 A21.5;
G43 H10 Z-1.3;
G65 P9995 W58. A14. D0.8 H0.6;
G04 P12.
G00 G90 Z3.;
;
;
(ETC.)

its because you are using the haas "go probe" routine.
it has the probe on-off in there

use the Renishaw cycles

I'm also on board with this idea. I was having trouble creating probing routines across multiple vise offsets using Go Probe routines. There are C0 and C1 call statements that are either supposed to keep the probing active or send everything home. Didn't matter what I did it would shut the probe off after one measurement, but still head off to the next without turning it back on. It was especially bothersome if I was trying to do multiple Z (A-3) measurements. I have two M codes assigned to the probe on and off which are registered in the Renishaw software, but it really doesn't matter which one is used because every 5ms pulse sent to the probe flips the state of the probe to the opposite of whatever state it's in when spoken to. On and off are not in its vocabulary. Only "change state." Sounds like the OP may have the same problem or setup.

Anyway... long story short. Switching to the Inspection Plus routines has solved all my problems. I'm no longer standing there with my finger on the red button waiting to jump in the minute I hear the probe shut off when it's not supposed to. Maybe a little more to the programming then the Go Probe routines, but I feel more in control that's for sure.

I still use the Go Probe routines in MDI at the machine for one off stuff. There they're very handy.

I think this is my issue. Is there any reason not to set it to "Optical Off"? What is the purpose of the 12, 33, or 134 second delay?

O's were a typo.

The purpose is because some machines make it hard to get a user M-code out to turn the probe on. So you set the Mi12 or OMM up to always broadcast on..on..on. As soon as the probe is put into the spindle it turns it on.

Once it is put back into the magazine , and can no longer receive the IR signal. it will timeout from 12 sec of inactivity.

Whomever put your probe on should have installed it as optical on-off

Back