What's new
What's new

Renishaw spindle probe crash................

david n

Diamond
Probe was in the spindle while I was editing a program........................I hit cycle start w/o a reset and the spindle came down into a vise.............luckily the rapid was at 25%..................It crushed the tip and the face of the probe bottomed out flat on the vice:cryin::cryin::cryin::cryin:...........not a hard hit, but it pushed the metal portion that the probe threads into flush with the face of the probe, it sprung back out to it's original position........................ I don't have a spare tip here to try it out.................is it junk? How much of a bump can it take?

My experience has been either they work or they don't after a crash. Replace the stylus, see if it turns on, then trigger by hand to see if the LED's turn red. If that all looks good, calibrate & go.
Renishaw does offer a RBE (Repair By Exchange) program which does save quite a bit....and unfortunately I can attest to them taking back some un-repairable stuff, no questions asked.

The probe does have life in it.....................just gotta get a new tip here and see if it actually works..............fingers crossed.

Part of the reason I like the ceramic and carbon tips is that they almost always break off before causing actual damage.

We've got a couple of spare tips in the tool crib, right next to the batteries. Haven't broken one in years, but somehow it always happens late at night on a Saturday or Sunday. ;)

That’s a bummer. I’m still trying to work out the tweaks on my renishaw after I forcibly separated the body from the holder accidentally. One of the adjustment screws got messed up so it is really hard to get the probe tip calibrated

probes seem to withstand quite a bit of abuse. They take a lickin and keep on ticken. If you're fiddling with it, take care not to trigger it while it's in start up mode. That is how you change/set parameters, and if you screw one up, it's a mofo to get it set back right.

probes seem to withstand quite a bit of abuse. They take a lickin and keep on ticken. If you're fiddling with it, take care not to trigger it while it's in start up mode. That is how you change/set parameters, and if you screw one up, it's a mofo to get it set back right.

In fact it is not so bad. Just touching the stylus while probe is "booting" does not any harm. In order to change the probe parameters you have to remove batteries, put them back, deflect the stylus after certain sequence of blinks and keep it deflected for at least 4 seconds. It would be very odd (however possible according to Murphy's law) to do it unintentionaly.

Stefan

Put a new stylus in it.....................sits at a 5-10°angle and is not coaxial with the probe body at all..............I don't think there's any adjusting that out???.........................

Put a new stylus in it.....................sits at a 5-10°angle and is not coaxial with the probe body at all..............I don't think there's any adjusting that out???.........................

Crash it in the other direction.

Nope that thing is trashed. Send to renishaw and get a replacement or (:ack2:) go back to doing it the hard way with an indicator/edge finder. Also, keep in mind (captain obvious?) the probe is calibrated to the toolsetter. Can't really use the toolsetter without the probe, unless you manually figure the + gage line comp. BUT think it's just easier to use a 1x2x3 block and go old skewl until you get it replaced.

When I worked for Doosan, we had a customer that spooled a probe up to about 8k rpms. He realized the probe was still in the spindle just at the time it disintegrated. Largest recoverable part was the stainless trim that went around the bottom, and it was about 1/3 the size it should've been. Tough lesson.

On the bright side, he said the components made the coolest ricochet noises... :cool:

Also, keep in mind (captain obvious?) the probe is calibrated to the toolsetter. Can't really use the toolsetter without the probe, unless you manually figure the + gage line comp. BUT think it's just easier to use a 1x2x3 block and go old skewl until you get it replaced.

Not if this is on the S500. Tool setter is independant of the probe.

When I worked for Doosan, we had a customer that spooled a probe up to about 8k rpms. He realized the probe was still in the spindle just at the time it disintegrated. Largest recoverable part was the stainless trim that went around the bottom, and it was about 1/3 the size it should've been. Tough lesson.

On the bright side, he said the components made the coolest ricochet noises... :cool:

I sent a Haimer well past that once. A haas VF2ss will go to 12K quite fast! The parts hitting the enclosure made surprisingly loud noises!

Have a coworker crash another so you can make one good probe. Ive had good luck with that.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk

Back