What's new
What's new

Renishaw TS27R tool setter assistance.

GunMachinist

Plastic
I recently took over a CNC mill with a TS27R tool setter and I'm having trouble getting it to work properly. I don't have a spindle probe so I'm just trying to get the tools set.

The tool setter is calibrated and indicated level. I have a carbide dowel which I use as a master to calibrate and set my work offset Z 0.0. I run a macro to set the other tools.

When I run the program the tools won't come close to my work. I have tried subtracting the tool length from my work offset Z but it's still about 1-2 inches above the work.

What am I missing?

I recently took over a CNC mill with a TS27R tool setter and I'm having trouble getting it to work properly. I don't have a spindle probe so I'm just trying to get the tools set.

The tool setter is calibrated and indicated level. I have a carbide dowel which I use as a master to calibrate and set my work offset Z 0.0. I run a macro to set the other tools.

When I run the program the tools won't come close to my work. I have tried subtracting the tool length from my work offset Z but it's still about 1-2 inches above the work.

What am I missing?
CNC Control ? Tool setting "software"?

Stefan

Working from memory here so I dont remember the specifics ....just the concept. I also dont know your experience level. You said you used a dowel to set 0.....what exactly did you mean by that?
The way I understand it you would need to know the gage length of that dowel / holder combination. Then use that number to calibrate the tool setter....basically telling the toolsetter that this combination is 2.7356" (or whatever the exact measurement is.) You can get that number by either measuring it with a tool setter or teaching it the same way you always taught tools prior to getting the tool probe.

Working from memory here so I dont remember the specifics ....just the concept. I also dont know your experience level. You said you used a dowel to set 0.....what exactly did you mean by that?
The way I understand it you would need to know the gage length of that dowel / holder combination. Then use that number to calibrate the tool setter....basically telling the toolsetter that this combination is 2.7356" (or whatever the exact measurement is.) You can get that number by either measuring it with a tool setter or teaching it the same way you always taught tools prior to getting the tool probe.

I took a long broken 3/8 endmill which was broken near the top of the flutes and placed it into a holder which I dedicated for this use. This way I know the exact OD of the carbide and I measured the length from shoulder to tip of carbide. I then calibrated the TS27R with macros on my machine, this gave me the measurement of the tool also.

I then took the same tool with carbide and set Z on my work by touching a piece of paper then adding the thickness of the paper to my offset.

Then attempted to run a program but the tool wouldn't get close to my part. I also tried to subtract the tool length from my Z offset which helped but was still about 2 inches high.

I know I'm missing something somewhere, I just don't know where.

I teach my customers to work with positive length offsets. This means that spindle face is tool length 0, and all tools offsets represent their physical length. Here is excerpt from Operating Instructions of my own tool setting macros, adapted to Renishaw.

1. PROBE CALIBRATION

Calibrate the probe after the installation and in any case its mechanical structure changes (after breaking the shear pin, etc.). First of all align probe surface parallel to X and Y axes using its adjusting screws. To perform the calibration a calibration tool is needed - a round pin of known diameter (3/8” for example) mounted in tool holder and installed in machine’s spindle.
Determining the length of the calibration tool is carried out as follows:
• place the dial indicator (PUPITAST) mounted on magnetic stand on the machine table.
• using the HANDLE place the indicator under the spindle face and lower to read 0 on the dial. • RESET the Z RELATIVE readout to 0.
• using the HANDLE raise the spindle.
• load the calibration tool to the spindle.
• using the HANDLE place the calibration tool over the indicator and lower to read 0 on
dial.

• the length of the calibration tool is now displayed in Z RELATIVE readout. Write it down.
Load the calibration tool in spindle and using the HANDLE place it over the TOOL SETTER, approximately in its center and roughly .5 inch above it.
Switch to MDI mode and dial:
G65P9900K.... S....
%
O9900(AUTOMATIC TOOL SETTER CALIBRATION)
(G65P9900K.... S.... K-CALIBRATION TOOL LENGTH, S-CALIBRATION TOOL DIA.)
#506=0.01(SURFACE BACK-OFF DISTANCE)
#525=12.(RAPID APPROACH IN Z FOR O9853)
#526=4.(CLEARANCE POS. IN Z)
#527=4.(TOOLS ABOVE THIS ROTATE)
#528=10.(MAXIMUM CUTTER DIAMETER)
#529=3.(WORK OFFSET TYPE)
M99
%

Must be top secret or something. Otherwise one would expect that you might choose to say what you figured out. Might even prove helpful to some other poor schmucks that find themselves with a similar issue.

This screwed me up, because I'm not used to using a tool setter. I ended up using the tool setter with my master which entered the tool length in the offsets (good). Then to set the work offset I touched off on my work with a piece of paper and added .004 to the offset to compensate for paper thickness.

What I had to do to get everything working correctly is, I had to set my master offset (Tool 21) to 00 and also had to subtract the tool length from work offsets. You'd think that all that would be in the macro and done automatically, or maybe I'm doing something backwards, but it worked.

Back