What's new
What's new

Replacing Dynapath Delta 20 spindle control with VFD

Vitreous

Plastic
Hi,

I just got a Clausing Kondia VF-1 which has a Dynapath Delta 20 installed. The Delta 20 is currently in charge of turning the spindle on and off and controlling the direction. I need to use a VFD for the 3 phase motor so I'd like to feed only 220V single phase to the Delta 20 for the rest of the electronics, and handle the spindle control with the VFD. Does anyone know if I just remove the 3 wires that go from the fuses to the M1 terminal block for the spindle, if the Delta 20 will throw any errors since the spindle stuff won't be receiving any power?

Thanks,

Jeff

wiring.jpg

Hi,

I just got a Clausing Kondia VF-1 which has a Dynapath Delta 20 installed. The Delta 20 is currently in charge of turning the spindle on and off and controlling the direction. I need to use a VFD for the 3 phase motor so I'd like to feed only 220V single phase to the Delta 20 for the rest of the electronics, and handle the spindle control with the VFD. Does anyone know if I just remove the 3 wires that go from the fuses to the M1 terminal block for the spindle, if the Delta 20 will throw any errors since the spindle stuff won't be receiving any power?

Thanks,

Jeff

View attachment 264287

Mine runs fine on a RPC. looks to me like you are opening a real can of worms on that one.

I know the Tree Journeyman mills with the Dynapath Delta 20 are a relatively simple single phase conversion. I would imagine your machine would be similar...ish The schematic you posted shows none of the I/Os or the control side but given its not variable speed I would imagine its pretty straight forward, or you could most likely interface the VFD so spindle speed can be controlled through the Delta 20 as I have seen this before

The Dynapath doesnt adjust the speed of the spindle, it just turns it on and off. Its a variable speed head on the Kondia. In the short term I will just use the VFD at 60hz and use the variable speed on the mill. The only thing on the machine that requires 3 phase is the spindle motor. All the electronics run on 120v, and the lubrication pump runs at 220v single phase. The full electronics pdf is at:

http://www.dynapath.com/us/data/files/mcp_delta/4203642Delta10-20MCP2WiringDiagram.pdf

The only thing i really need to know is if I can run the VFD standalone, not through the Delta 20, or if it needs to be connected to the M1 terminal block so the Delta knows its powered and wont throw an error.

It looks pretty straightforward to me, I don't think it will be a can of worms.

Thanks,
Jeff

I’ve got a Ramco Patriot 8 with a Dynapath Delta 20 and a 5 HP BT40 spindle that is driven by a VFD.
Whole setup runs fine from single phase.
Unfortunately, I don’t have a wiring diagram for mine.

Your idea will work fine. M1 and M2 are contactors for forward and reverse. You will need to connect the incoming power to wires 1 and 5 as marked on the diagram at the disconnect. That will power the control. Then your VFD will be powered by wires 1 and 5 taken from the contactor M1.

Your lube pump is single phase also and is also controlled by contactors M1 and M2. I'd continue to let it be controlled by M1 and M2 but you would have to move the wire going to FU5 over to terminal 2 on the M2 contactor.

FWD and REV could very possibly use the now unnused contacts marked 3 and 4 on the M1 and M2 contactors. This will depend somewhat on the VFD you choose and what signals it uses for rotation control. Then your program commands for forward and reverse (usually M03 and M04) will work. Very possible to be able to do tapping with a floating holder. No rigid tapping.

If you want to be able to use an S code to set the spindle speed that will be a bit more work. I no longer have a Dynapath Installers guide (sold it to someone here) so can't give specifics.

Sometimes running a mill like this on an RPC is a waste of money. Adding a VFD to run the spindle is lower initial cost unless you already have an RPC to power other machines that truly need 3 phase. Operating costs are also lower using a VFD since you do not have the parasitic loss of running the idler motor in an RPC.

perfect

Vancbiker, thank you for your detailed answer, thats exactly what I was looking for. I'll start with just getting it spinning, and later can worry about adding forward/reverse when I need it.

Thanks

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi Vitreous,

Were you able to get this up and running per vancbikers description? I'm troubleshooting a delta 20 control, and it would be great to do away with the RPC.

Did you manage to get spindle speed control working with your VFD?

Thanks!

Back