Report From IMTS on CNC market - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mr. Camera:

A) Well who else doo you think it could have been directed at?

B) That was a good schpeal if nothing else.
    I was about to call you a Parking Lot Poser.
    But I think that you headed that off reasonably ....

--------------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post
    Yep,
    thats what I love the most about being located next to the largest industrial park in the US. We are really spoiled in that regard.
    We have the absolute opposite problem... Lol
    Shoot. We are 1.5 hours from the closest airport.
    We have a hardware store in town and a couple autoparts joints.. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ARB View Post
    That's more what I am used to. If you need parts to fix it, it's now at least a 2 day job. But, in Chicago you can get anything.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    I'm off sick/migraine today so I could waste 1/2 and hour of my life to watch this...(wearing dark glasses). Nice they showed the Genos M-560 V with a smallish Koma precision 5 axis unit. So I guess the new extended height helps with that. Also seems there is still space on the table left of the five axis unit for other set ups/Ops (which is good). Wonder how good the OSP control on the 560V is for sim-5axis?

NYC CNC made the Brothers look good.

[I have to admit I find trade shows completely overwhelming or just too damn much, good to get snippets of IMTS piece by piece].
    I think the Brothers made them look good

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    Yup... (If that's aimed at me): I figured that the only machines I should buy are ones that are actually supported in my area/Denver. So I have pretty much researched those to death. And have actually spent about 2 hours "one on one" with a Matsuura MX-520 anyway in Denver. I figure at IMTS its such a feeding frenzy that its not possible to get "quality time" or be able to get to deeper specs that are relevant at a trade show. So I figure if I want to pursue Matsuura further I can visit their outfit in St Paul on my own time.

So locally Doosan disappeared (good machine candidates), And so it seems Hardinge too... Can't afford anything relevant from Okuma...

IMTS would have been awesome for tooling and work holding etc. and maybe some new or interesting inspection QC gizmos. But nothing life or death.

I've been to scores and scores of trade shows in the past and various conferences, and conferences where I was giving papers at also and trade shows in different countries and I have to be completely honest I never got anything from a trade show that I didn't know about before, and I have never picked up anything from a trade show that I really ran with as a result of going to the show. That's over a twenty five year period.

The only cool thing that I think I would really get out of IMTS is actually finally getting to meet folks face to face, maybe over a beer etc. Especially other PM posters... (such as yourself @OX). So to me the opportunity to meet PEOPLE is more important than seeing the machines (although I have met "in the flesh" all the machines I have been considering).

[Footnote: My local Matsuura dealer did go to IMTS and he also handles Hermle also. He actually was able to source deeper and future info through the regular channels so pretty much all my current and future questions were answered before IMTS... There weren't anymore questions to pack him off with to ask at the show LOL].
    This... That show is overwhelming, and unless you have specific things to research that are new to you, it's just way too much to take in. Especially if you think you are just going to browse the halls, and then leave with some profound takeaway.

The smaller dealer open-house events are where it's at. For example, Gosiger puts on a great open-house in the "odd-years" between IMTS, and it's better for 2 main reasons. 1- There is physically less to see, so you have time to "take in" whatever the hell you are looking at. 2- The pace of the show is slower, so the vendors have more time to spend with you, if you need more attention. 3- It's cheaper To attend. 4- They let you carry guns in Ohio, without labeling you a criminal felon...

6. Likes J Gilles, SND, yardbird, RobMcQuillen, Mooner and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ARB View Post
    a couple? living the life of reilly over there...... btw- who in the holy hell was reilly anyway?

8. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
    I have spent the last three days here at IMTS and while down a little (some booths are a little smaller than last time) it is still a good show. Lots of people, really good deals, and hungry sales people. Everyone has some kind of special (Okuma is putting five year warranties on most of their stuff and Haas is doing big package throw ins and discounts). DMG and Doosan are going after each other big time (even gossip of someone peeing in someone's coolant tank) to the point of having security guards manning the booths at night.

The show is a lot better than I thought it was going to be and if you qualify for their new Star Club program make sure that you get the card (they have a special lounge with food and snacks setup plus you don't have to wait in line for the busses or cabs).
    It was nice meeting you Mickey D plus the other dozen or so who stopped bye and said hello. The show in the west building was slow most of the time. I suggested to BIAX next show we should get a booth in the North or South Building as when I walked over there, they were busy. I used to work inside the DAPRA booth the USA Distributors of BIAX and will see if we can share a space with them next time in the North building.

I tried a new thing this show, I stayed at an Airbnb. I was pleasantly surprised as to how nice that was and a short drive to the show and only $90.00 a night. It cost $23.00 a day to park though, they must make a fortune in that parking ramp. I hope to work and demo at EMO in Germany next year and again if I am still kicking in Chicago in 2018 even if I am retired as I truly love meeting folks at the shows. I had a student who took the class up in Canada 27 years ago stop and see me. That was a truly wonderful thing. Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WILLEO6709 View Post
    a couple? living the life of reilly over there...... btw- who in the holy hell was reilly anyway?

The life of Riley - meaning and origin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I thought that attendance seemed low to me. ???

IMTS 216 Highest Number of Exhibitors in History / Third Largest Show for Registration and Exhibit Space | International Manufacturing Technology Show 216

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah - I just got that mail too, but I didn't open it.

I have a very hard time believing it. Booths weren't crowded at all. Maybe Haas was - I didn't stop there. ???

Maybe everyone was there earlier in the week?

Maybe they registered, but didn't attend?

------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It sure didn't look as crowded as I would have imagined it to be from the video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DMG Mori, Mazak, Doosan, Okuma, and Haas booths were shoulder to shoulder when I was there.

15. Likes Mooner liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    DMG Mori, Mazak, Doosan, Okuma, and Haas booths were should were shoulder to shoulder when I was there.
    Same. The west and south buildings seemed very busy Mon - Thur. North building upper level was busy as well, but the lower floor with the student stuff was pretty slow. East buildings with CAD/CAM and QC stuff seemed average, but I was only there for a bit at Mastercam and Autodesk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh yeah - that "stoodent" thing...

A fella in one one of the booths was telling me that they had kids as young as elementary in there, playing/setting on the floor, running around ... etc...

Why would any kids [from a skewl] be there before they are a Junior in Vocational skewl?

Now - if'n y'all or myself as a business owner, and our kid(s) are regularly in our shop, and we take our 14 year old kid to the show - that is different, but ....

I cringe when I see strollers on Saturday as well. This isn't that kind'a place. And if it's too expensive to get a sitter for the day, then you prolly kan't afford anything in these isles either.

------------------------

18. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure about "students" but there was a lot of young wimmin standing in front of a lot of booths.
    Not sure what they were doing there either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Oh yeah - that "stoodent" thing...

A fella in one one of the booths was telling me that they had kids as young as elementary in there, playing/setting on the floor, running around ... etc...

Why would any kids [from a skewl] be there before they are a Junior in Vocational skewl?

Now - if'n y'all or myself as a business owner, and our kid(s) are regularly in our shop, and we take our 14 year old kid to the show - that is different, but ....

I cringe when I see strollers on Saturday as well. This isn't that kind'a place. And if it's too expensive to get a sitter for the day, then you prolly kan't afford anything in these isles either.

------------------------

I saw a lot of kids oohing and awing at machines. Gets their gears turnin' at least. But I bet a lot of the folks running booths were a little annoyed at times though. Kids would grab any trinket, pen, can cooler, bag, hat, candy they could get their hands on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by XD341 View Post
    Okuma made the 5 year warranty an IMTS special?....now I don't feel as special.
    And LifeTime on the OSP Control! I was not at the show , but I bought me a Twin Spindle VTL 760 , Okuma gave a lifetime on the control as long as I cut the PO before the show ended , PO was cut Friday. , New Machine on my floor this week!

22. Likes SND, lastrada liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guess I'm A "kid" then...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keyepitts View Post
    Guess I'm A "kid" then...
    So you were the guy(kid) walkin' around with 4-5 baseball caps on his head..................

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So what does it say that even at IMTS nothing new or groundbreaking?
    Could it be that even this has outlived it's usefulness in manufacturing? Someone say it isn't so.

26. Likes dstryr liked this post