What's new
What's new

Retention Knob Hardness?

AJ H

Hot Rolled
We have a HBM that I decided needs a 90 degree head on it. The problem is it's a CT45, after months of looking for one I settled on a BT45 unit. There is no ATC so no issue with the flange. It did however pose a problem precuring a pull stud for it. I did some research on materials used for them and decided to use 8620. I combined the features needed for the stud end into the machine with the features needed to thread into the BT unit and whipped some up on the turning center. I know they get hardened but I can't find where anyone says to what.

Thanks

case harden .03-.05 deep. 52-56rc. table blast. You dont want it too hard.
If it is coolant thru plug the hole with a screw and nut on the other side.
Make all corners with nice size fillets so knob is nice and strong with no stress risers.

I have a shitload of BT45 pullstuds. Even a nice Jarvis BT45 90 degree head.

Post up a picture of what your stud looks like.

Yes the screw and nut blocks the carburizing gas and prevents carbon from migrating into the inside surfaces.

A screw in a threaded hole will also keep the threads in the part from being hard all the way through.

I've seen more Thread topics on pull studs in the last year than ever before. Is there a pull stud depreciation epidemic going on that I don't know about?

R

I've seen more Thread topics on pull studs in the last year than ever before. Is there a pull stud depreciation epidemic going on that I don't know about?

R

You might be on to something. BT50 90 degree studs are just about unobtanium.

I have a shitload of BT45 pullstuds. Even a nice Jarvis BT45 90 degree head.

Post up a picture of what your stud looks like.

I tried attaching the .STEP file with no luck. Anyway the ones I made are off to heat treat, they should work fine. If not I'll reach out, thanks for the offer anyways.

Back