What's new
What's new

Reversing Lathe X Axis?

Kenre

Cast Iron
Just like the title, Mori SL3 with Fanuc 3T control.
It is running negative X axis, ie, X+ is towards the spindle centreline.

Can this be changed to - towards centreline like more modern lathes?
Parameters?

Atm there is alot of messing about with G code mirroring X axis moves, along with radius moves being inside out( still trying to figure how to fix this)

It is possible, but a fair bit of work. IIRC, that machine should have DC servos. You have to swap motor power cables and A and B phases on the encoder. That will make the motor reversed. Then the switches on the control panel may have to be swapped. There are several parameters that will need to be changed. I don't know exactly which ones and do not have a series 3 manual to look them up either.

Somewhere along the way Mori started providing directions for how to do that in their documentation sent with their machines. Machine maintenance manual IIRC.

The reason im looking into it is im having issues getting the cam to make radius's work correctly.
They are concave instead of convex! Changing G03 to G02 makes the radius above the part. Can a R- work?

Yes DC servos. Wiring side sounds easy enough. I wonder if Mori down here have the parameters...

The reason im looking into it is im having issues getting the cam to make radius's work correctly.
They are concave instead of convex! Changing G03 to G02 makes the radius above the part. Can a R- work?

Yes DC servos. Wiring side sounds easy enough. I wonder if Mori down here have the parameters...
no you cant use a -r however your cam should have a way to spell out your machine and which arc direction use use along with which is x- and x+.
you may just have to set centerline in your cam system differently dont know what type you have.

Mori bloke i talked to seems to think only servo and joystick need rewiring. Along with a few parameter changes, mainly to do with the limit switches, so it knows which way is up.

Im using Fusion 360, have been getting assistance on there forum, but nothing thats pointing to the problem yet.

Back