What's new
What's new

Rigid tapping on 15M Enshu

vegard

Aluminum
Hi,
I recently picked up an Enshu 650vx with Fanuc 15M control.

I am making parts on the machine, but I haven’t figured out how to rigid tap successfully yet. I am starting to think that I may have an issue with the machine, but wanted to check with you guys that my code is right before I bite the bullet and pay the $800 buy-in to get phone tech support from Enshu.

When I run this code, it goes to the retract plane and the spindle just turns slowly until I get alarm EX193. RIGIT TAP ALARM
Here is the code, does it look ok for a 15m?

G00 G17 G20 G40 G80 G90
G91 G28 Z0.
N1 T1
M06 (0.25 RIGHT-HANDED TAP)
(MAX - Z.1)
(MIN - Z-1.)
G00 G17 G90 G54 X0. Y0.
G43 H1 Z.1
M08
G94
S400
G98 G84.2 Z-1. R.1 F20.
G80
M09
M05
G91 G28 Z0.
G28 Y0.
G90
M30

Thank you

-vegard

EX alarms are determined by the machine builder, not Fanuc. This tells me that you have not satisfied some requirement of the machine builder's implementation of rigid tapping. You need to refer to the machine builder's operation or programming manual to determine what is needed.

The 15M could do rigid tapping in IPR (G95) mode. Might give that a try, but I doubt it is the trouble. The builder might also have used an M-code (M29 is a code used by many builders) in their ladder program to set up rigid tapping. This is more likely IMO.

My Kitamura H400 with 15m gets angry if the spindle wasn't on. It isn't enough for my machine to command an rpm but not turn it on first. With it on, using g84.2, it will stop the spindle before tapping and tap successfully.
I do not know what alarm I get if I neglect to do that.

Our machine doesn't require M29 (in fact, M29 is a chip conveyor code), but Vancbiker is right, it might be required.

So I'd try:

S400M3
G84.2 _____-

or

S400M3

M29S400
G84.2 _______

My Kitamura H400 with 15m gets angry if the spindle wasn't on. It isn't enough for my machine to command an rpm but not turn it on first. With it on, using g84.2, it will stop the spindle before tapping and tap successfully.
I do not know what alarm I get if I neglect to do that......

Perfect example of how the builder's implementation of a function affects the programming needed to make it work. Some machines will stop or alarm if the spindle is running before G84.2 is commanded.

When G84.2 is processed by the CNC a signal, RTAP, is sent to the PMC and CNC operation is paused. The machine builder's ladder logic processes the RTAP signal to do what ever is required by the configuration of the machine to prepare it for rigid tapping (mainly switching the spindle control to a "servo mode" and if a geared head machine, selecting the appropriate gear range and performance parameters for the speed commanded). When the PMC completes this, a completion signal is sent back to the CNC and motion will then proceed.

Thanks for the replies. DandD I tried your variations and a few more. It didn’t like M29, so I tried M54 also (one of my kitamura wants m54) and I tried with and without spindle on. Slow spindle rotate and alarm ex193 I found the alarm in a book, see attached. I also found some brief notes on tapping.

4c935b5dd0daa60b2b1bf639df0fdb85.jpg
c8785224f3ffcbaa8c530a3b0c659d40.jpg

I have a question. Are you sure it is in low gear when you start tapping? perhaps do my code above (with the spindle on) but then turn it off with M5 or M19. That way there's no chance it is changing gears and taking too long.

Also check the status of x20.5 when you try it, check the other stuff it mentions too. Also check that the parameters and data table entry it lists there are correct.

Also the first thing it asks is if the m-function command ignore switch is on. It almost seems it might require an m-code to activate rigid tap. There's no example in the book?

As a temporary workaround while you figure it out, can you pick up a tension/compression holder and just use G84? Does G84 work properly? Try it above your part.

Edit: Also, while you do get an EX alarm, do you get an actual Fanuc alarm? The EX alarm is on the operator message screen, but if there's a Fanuc alarm, it might be hidden (you have to hit the message button to get to it). Please check.

Thanks for the advice so far, I will try all of the suggestions tomorrow morning. We had to make parts with the machine today. I will say the enshu is a nice smooth machine, my kitamuras of the same era seem clunky in comparison... not to mention it is beast of a machine.
I did try to force it into high and low gear before tapping, but that didn’t help.

Ok- I don’t have the programming manual, but I do have the instruction manual, which is what the pictures are from. I looked through the m and g code lists, and I don’t think there is a preparatory code for tapping like M29.
I did monitor 20.5 (I think...) and it doesn’t change during the cycle. I watched G0020 in pcdgn, accessed by pressing the nc/pc button. Does that sound right?

The machine does fine with regular g84, but I’d hate to put a bunch of money into floating holders....

I’m thinking this may actually be a machine problem and not a operator problem, what do you think?

Ok- I don’t have the programming manual, but I do have the instruction manual, which is what the pictures are from. I looked through the m and g code lists, and I don’t think there is a preparatory code for tapping like M29.
I did monitor 20.5 (I think...) and it doesn’t change during the cycle. I watched G0020 in pcdgn, accessed by pressing the nc/pc button. Does that sound right?

The machine does fine with regular g84, but I’d hate to put a bunch of money into floating holders....

I’m thinking this may actually be a machine problem and not a operator problem, what do you think?

No, you should be looking for x20. page down or run a search for "x".

bit 5 is the 3rd bit on the screen, **1*****

Before getting too deep here, are you sure the machine has rigid tapping? It is an optional function that would have to be spec'd by the machine builder or buyer. What is the content of parameter 9122?

Generally rigid tap is always done from a stopped spindle. Also, I didn't see an M code in your original program example to trigger the function. Most, (granted, not all) machines need an M code to activate rigid tap. On many, but not all, it's "M29" - and the rigid tap is canceled with a G80 when you cancel the cycle.

When I worked for a major MTB I always recommended tapping in IPR mode for better control and easier adjustment of tapping parameters. So, G95 with the thread lead (F) is 1/#of threads. This would be maintained regardless of spindle RPM.
For example, a 1/4-20 thread would be :

G0 G40 G49 G54 G80 G90 G95 X1. Y1. T3;
M6;
G43 Z2. H3 D3 M8
M29 S250 (RIGID TAP ON)
G84 G98 Z-.75 R.25 F.05
G80 M9
G28 G91 Z0
M6 (NEXT TOOL);
G0 G40 G49 G54 G80 G90 G94 (BACK TO IPM) ETC;

Douglas, everything I see in the manual and research says rigid tapping is g84.2 without an m code, but I have tried as you suggested as well without success. Im starting to feel pretty confident this is a machine issue, not a problem with my code...

Parameter 9122 is 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 (as shown on screen)

You do have the rigid tapping option. Without the Enshu instructions for rigid tapping you are going to have to figure out what Enshu wrote into their ladder logic to enable the rigid tap function. Do you have a wiring diagram that shows what drives the input X20 bit 5?

There appears to be some contradictory information between the wiring diagram and the pages posted earlier. I need to check some information I have at my shop. Maybe have a chance tomorrow to do that.

Back