Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Being a Robodrill, I guess I can understand the "lack" of any other bearings, as the machine is ~mostly~ meant for Z axial loads.
    My only experience in spindle rebuilding came with my old Milltronics Partner VI.
    It had 2 each tapered/ roller bearings, and 3 each standard, roller bearings lower just above the cat 40 taper. (all were ABEC 7, IIRC)

Thanks for the pictures!

Doug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Harri View Post
    Btw, the service manual is the same for the 10k and 20k spindle. Only the run-in procedures differ.
    Turns out I have the controller maintenance manuals and ladder diagram manual but not the T14 service manual. Unable to locate it for sale either. I lowered the spindle and its once freed of the coupling its runout improved dramatically from.0035 to about .0003. Unfortunately the .0035 is present on the motor mount assembly. Above the 3 up 3 down screwed flange coupling, the neck of the mount tapers in and then becomes another flange with 6 hex nuts prodruding through the bottom. I put the test insucator on that surface as it was smoother than the lower flanges. I found its running out quite a bit. The motor turned quietly once the spindle was slipped free, but I think the runout when under load may have damaged bearings. Nothing can be heard at low speed or hand turning the motor shaft. I suspect the spindle shaft is bent below the bearings or displaced them under load. I believe the motor mount to be concentric but the coupling out of line. I may take off the coupling and investigate it, but am reluctant to loosen the motor mount as it is aligned to the original functioning center of rotation. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In a hurry so apologies for the short answer:

You seem to have the same problem mine had.
    I wouldn't worry about loosening the motor, you'll have to do it as part of aligning the system anyway. I have the procedure documented, just drop me an email; check PM's.

Harri

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Harri,
    I have a sick Robodrill Spindle here, so I thank you for creating this thread and sharing your knowledge!
    Would it be possible to send me a PM with your email? ...I would love a copy of the procedure document!
    I tried to PM you, but it said your private message bank was full
    Thanks in advance!
    Presto

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Harri, (and anyone else with this knowledge).....I have a question. I know this thread is old, but I have a Robodrill T10B (1995) that has chuck in the spindle when you turn it back/forth quickly. It has slop kind of like the bridgeports do when you grab the tool in the spindle and quickly turn it back/forth hard and kind of fast. Probably 5 to 7 degrees of slop.... a bit much in my book. My other 2 Robodrills do not have this...and I have another T10B of the same year - pretty much identical. To get a chucking, do you think the spindle keyway interface is loose? As in a bolt might have come loose? I looked at your photos and also a photo of another Robo spindle and it seems that there should be no chucking back/forth if things are properly assembled and tight. Also, when it does a tool change (presumably because of the slop) it hits the turret gear pretty hard sometimes and I cringe when it changes tools...in fact, I don't run it at 100% speed because of this. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check the coupling between the spindle motor and cartridge, sounds like you have some trouble there. If the drawbar is working properly there will be no slop, drive dogs or none. You van access this by removing the sheetmetal cover on the front of the spindle assy.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_20201012_142602.jpg

Harri and others with any advice, I have a problem with my 2002 robodrill 8k spindle.
    The initial problem was the tool release mechanism wouldn't disconnect the tool. So after opening up the cover to view the spindle connection parts I discovered that the 2 spindle locking nuts had come loose and opened all the way to the top against the guide ring. This was preventing the guide ring to move down to release tools. I then noticed that the flexible coupling ring had been pulled down around 5mm.

I am wondering what the best course of action would be?, just replacing the flexible coupling ring with a new one and tightening the locking nuts?, I don't have a maintenance manual for spindle replacement so if anybody could share one that would be great.

Cheers, Matt.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only way your flex disc would have moved, is if the spindle shaft itself was pushed down by the unclamp arm. While not being retained by the nuts.

Did you thighten the nuts before you took the picture?

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GENERALDISARRAY View Post
    The only way your flex disc would have moved, is if the spindle shaft itself was pushed down by the unclamp arm. While not being retained by the nuts.

Did you thighten the nuts before you took the picture?
    Yes I re-tightened the nuts before taking the picture, this pushed the spindle back up and compressed the flex disk a bit. Although I suppose the stretched flex disc is now putting extra load on the both the spindle and motor bearings.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good stuff thanks for posting!

Not to do a Robodrill vs Brother distraction but I like to compare designs. The brother spindles are not a cartridge in the same sense. They just come as the spindle with bearings on. There is a bolt on cap on the bottom of the z azis casting that when removed and the flex coupling between the motor and spindle is loosened they drop out the bottom. I guess the spindle bore depth/cap combo is all machined close enough so it clamps it in right. Replacement on mine for a 10k spindle with no tsc was $2500USD or so. I think the higher speed ones and TSC ones go up quite a bit.

11. Likes vegard liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by matthew82 View Post
    Yes I re-tightened the nuts before taking the picture, this pushed the spindle back up and compressed the flex disk a bit. Although I suppose the stretched flex disc is now putting extra load on the both the spindle and motor bearings.
    I concur doctor.

I would replace the old flex disc and start from the beginning of the spindle/motor alignment procedure.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GENERALDISARRAY View Post
    I concur doctor.

I would replace the old flex disc and start from the beginning of the spindle/motor alignment procedure.
    OK,thanks. I've ordered a new disk but don't have a spindle/motor alignment procedure manual. Does anybody have a link to that?.

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Harri,

Jonas from Germany here

Thanks for your awesome Thread on tearing down your Robodrill spindle.
    It was very helpful so far, since my recently bought Robodrill is getting some weird spindle noises.

I´m thinking about repairing it myself, and i´m not sure so far about some things:

how do you make sure that the position of the drive dogs is the same after reassembly?
    I´m thinking about marking every single piece i remove, and hoping i dont have to mess with the parameters after reassembly

how do you remove the big pin that holds the clamping mechanism?
    better said, how do i release the force of the clamping springs to loosen the pin?

How easy does the Spindle assembly come apart? do i have to heat the cartidge to remove the bearings?

If you have more Pictures of your teardown and reassembly i would be more than happy to get acces to them

Big greets from Germany

Best Wishes

Jonas

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jonas, I have a service manual, let me know if you need a copy! It has the procedures in good detail. Best Greetings to Germany!
    Harri

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Harri View Post
    Hi Jonas, I have a service manual, let me know if you need a copy! It has the procedures in good detail. Best Greetings to Germany!
    Harri
    That would be so helpful
    i wrote you a private message, i have some fanuc manuals but so far i didn´t find any infos about swaping the bearings / removing the spindle.