ROI Brother S100 vs Haas DM-2 - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

micro fine LNS turbo conveyors run like 18K for the S700 if I remember right ? and the mayfran is even more money .. Its easy to see why 90% of your customers spend there time scooping chips ,, so if a brother is twice as fast as a Haas that would mean I am at the back of the machine hand scooping 70 gallons of chips a hour right?

2. Likes as9100d, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    micro fine LNS turbo conveyors run like 18K for the S700 if I remember right ? and the mayfran is even more money .. Its easy to see why 90% of your customers spend there time scooping chips ,, so if a brother is twice as fast as a Haas that would mean I am at the back of the machine hand scooping 70 gallons of chips a hour right?
    Bingo!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

once I learned how to run the Haas auger I like them ,, I was running it full time and just ended up with a ton of chips getting to the back screen , once I started playing with only turning it on for about 10 sec at a time and only one or twice in the program I only have to clean the back screen a couple times a day .. a lot of times I don`t even put the chip auger in he program and just push the button when they start building up.

5. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So now that the chip thing is cleared up ,,, how much is the cost to put a hi speed 4th axis on a brothers ? I run 8" rotors and the HRC210 is about 12k all setup and ready to run on the vf2ss year end special...

Am I the only one that thinks is odd that a salesman would jump into a thread and start trying to say there machine is "ABOUT" this price
    and not post the real price ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So now that the chip thing is cleared up ,,, how much is the cost to put a hi speed 4th axis on a brothers ? I run 8" rotors and the HRC210 is about 12k all setup and ready to run on the vf2ss year end special...

Am I the only one that thinks is odd that a salesman would jump into a thread and start trying to say there machine is "ABOUT" this price
    It makes a difference where one is located. It's not unusual at all. You are likely on the high end of about due to location. It costs more to get a tech there and do setup, and cover any potential warranty issues. Not likely, but it's part of the overall cost. Your situation is more expensive to support and install, and that has to be built into the cost. A guy closer, and easier to support and deal with is going to get a better deal. That's life.

I find Frank and Andy to be super honest, they always live up to their word. When I have a question, I never have to worry about how long it will take for them to get back to me. Their tech people are always qualified too - unlike the local Haas guys that have sometimes sent out guys that weren't really ready to be turned loose.

8. Likes 2outof3, BROTHERFRANK liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    It makes a difference where one is located. It's not unusual at all. You are likely on the high end of about due to location. It costs more to get a tech there and do setup, and cover any potential warranty issues. Not likely, but it's part of the overall cost. Your situation is more expensive to support and install, and that has to be built into the cost. A guy closer, and easier to support and deal with is going to get a better deal. That's life.

I find Frank and Andy to be super honest, they always live up to their word. When I have a question, I never have to worry about how long it will take for them to get back to me. Their tech people are always qualified too - unlike the local Haas guys that have sometimes sent out guys that weren't really ready to be turned loose.
    They seem like reasonable guys they support and represent their products well. Being that they are factory reps we know they can't tell we guys on the other side what they really want to lol. I've seen them poked pretty hard and they don't budge, that's very respectable!

I wonder that their texts look like

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just buy the Haas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably.
    He was talking about demos. Demos are never a set price.

The bottom line is the Brother will make you more money than the Haas. That's non-negotiable.
    We're a job shop and one of our main customers orders a ton of production parts every other month or so. The Brother makes them in half the time our Genos mills ever did. And IMO the Genos is hands down the best 3 axis mill in it's class.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Their tech people are always qualified too - unlike the local Haas guys that have sometimes sent out guys that weren't really ready to be turned loose.
    Boy! Ain't that the truth!

13. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    They seem like reasonable guys they support and represent their products well. Being that they are factory reps we know they can't tell we guys on the other side what they really want to lol. I've seen them poked pretty hard and they don't budge, that's very respectable!

I wonder that their texts look like
    I have worked with some very challenging folks that literally took years for them to try out Brother/Yamazen. Now they are some of my best clients with 18, 20, 25 machines. The most common thing I hear is "we should have done this sooner".

20191204_100249.jpg

20170202_132527.jpg

15. Likes PegroProX440 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice looking shop!!

Also a huge factor is the power efficiency with these machines. When you have 10 or 20 of these the savings really add up. If you are like me when your electrician cringes when you call him cause he says your electrical panel is tapped out ( no more power available) several machines ago.

17. Likes 2outof3, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I posted here many times about this....
    Jorgensen has an awesome drag conveyor that fits these machines.
    It is less expensive than any option i am aware of, and massively better than the Turbo slat conveyor, for aluminum fines.
    I am Very impressed for fines.

Both the Robodrill and Brother distributors I talked to were not interested in talking about it since they carry the Turbo or Mayfran lines and don't see the need to undercut the sale of an expensive conveyor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 3t3d View Post
    I posted here many times about this....
    Jorgensen has an awesome drag conveyor that fits these machines.
    It is less expensive than any option i am aware of, and massively better than the Turbo slat conveyor, for aluminum fines.
    I am Very impressed for fines.

Both the Robodrill and Brother distributors I talked to were not interested in talking about it since they carry the Turbo or Mayfran lines and don't see the need to undercut the sale of an expensive conveyor.
    That is all I have to say about that!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It makes a difference where one is located. It's not unusual at all. You are likely on the high end of about due to location. It costs more to get a tech there and do setup, and cover any potential warranty issues. Not likely, but it's part of the overall cost. Your situation is more expensive to support and install, and that has to be built into the cost. A guy closer, and easier to support and deal with is going to get a better deal. That's life......
    Not only location can affect a potential customers quoted sales price. When I was doing field service, I saw several times where a customer that is known or rumored to be a PITA got quoted a higher price. Same as most shops will pad their parts quote to a PITA customer.

21. Likes eaglemike liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All-- This is the OP. First off i'd like to say WOW, I wasn't expecting such a vigorous response! I appreciate all those who took time to respond. This information was very valuable to me. One thing is crystal clear: machinist are passionate about what they do and their equipment.

I've made a decision, and here is why.

Price -- Both Haas and Yamazen have aggressive year end pricing... I got lucky with my timing. When I compare apples to apples (CTS, probing, HSM, MPG) and adjust pricing for installation and app training, there isn't much of a difference in price between the DM-2 and S700X1. Brother is also including preventative maintenance and Lyndex-Nikken tooling. When I factor these in, there was only a 3% difference in price. So, price didn't end up being a factor. My initial posts asked about the ROI. What I really meant is total cost of ownership. However, I will most likely be holding onto whatever machine for quite a while, so in the end it will probably be a wash.

Taper -- I thought hard about how I would be using this machine and ended up concluding that a 30 taper would not significantly limit me. Initially I won't push as hard with a 30 taper, but no doubt after I become more comfortable with the machine, I'm sure I will test it's limits. And since i will be using HSM, the extra 1k in RPM will probably make up for any differences.

Distributor relations - I got a sense from the posts that Haas HFO are hit or miss, whereas Yamazen is more consistent in their support. I have no idea how my local HFO is. They might be great. However, I can say that I took the 1.5 hour drive to my local Yamazen dealer and was very impressed with everyone I met. I definitely feel like I will be getting good support. I may have felt the same way about the HFO, but they are 4 hours away and I haven't had the time.

Finally - The Yamazen dealer has a great microbrewery next door.

So S700X1 it is. BTW- Yamazen is offering more aggressive discounts on the S1000 right now, in case anyone is interested.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiCNC View Post
    Hi All-- This is the OP. First off i'd like to say WOW, I wasn't expecting such a vigorous response! I appreciate all those who took time to respond. This information was very valuable to me. One thing is crystal clear: machinist are passionate about what they do and their equipment.

Price -- Both Haas and Yamazen have aggressive year end pricing... I got lucky with my timing. When I compare apples to apples (CTS, probing, HSM, MPG) and adjust pricing for installation and app training, there isn't much of a difference in price between the DM-2 and S700X1. Brother is also including preventative maintenance and Lyndex-Nikken tooling. When I factor these in, there was only a 3% difference in price. So, price didn't end up being a factor. My initial posts asked about the ROI. What I really meant is total cost of ownership. However, I will most likely be holding onto whatever machine for quite a while, so in the end it will probably be a wash.

Taper -- I thought hard about how I would be using this machine and ended up concluding that a 30 taper would not significantly limit me. Initially I won't push as hard with a 30 taper, but no doubt after I become more comfortable with the machine, I'm sure I will test it's limits. And since i will be using HSM, the extra 1k in RPM will probably make up for any differences.

Distributor relations - I got a sense from the posts that Haas HFO are hit or miss, whereas Yamazen is more consistent in their support. I have no idea how my local HFO is. They might be great. However, I can say that I took the 1.5 hour drive to my local Yamazen dealer and was very impressed with everyone I met. I definitely feel like I will be getting good support. I may have felt the same way about the HFO, but they are 4 hours away and I haven't had the time.

So S700X1 it is. BTW- Yamazen is offering more aggressive discounts on the S1000 right now, in case anyone is interested.
    Thank you.

Steve and his team will take great care of you.

Andy Dukes
    Vice President West
    Yamazen Inc

24. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiCNC View Post

Make sure you post pictures when you get it!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Make sure you post pictures when you get it!
    You bet I will. But first I got to knock down a wall and install a phase converter.

27. Likes Mtndew, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OP, Congratulations on your decision. I will be looking forward to a 'New Machine Day' post and seeing some work you will do with your new Brother Speedio. Plenty of support for you through your local Yamazen reps and the Practical Machinist community here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Awesome!

When I was shopping I was looking at the S700, and was very impressed with my Yamazen office. I really wanted a S1000 but simple couldn’t swing the price.

Then someone (Andy ) dropped a deal for a S1000 in my lap.

If they have a great deal on a S1000, take the time to consider it.

I love my S1000