Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom. View Post
    I am both, 15 years killing my body and 7 years killing my mind.
    Sorry to break your balls a little, but unless you are using V9. Mastercam and Turning is asking for a headache. Been there, all the conversations about how slow and wrong stuff is and how to make it better, all the while ignoring the fact the Mastersuk is not Turning software anymore. Don't get me wrong I use MCam more than any other software, for Milling it's great, but since X, meh...for Turning. It barely passes itself off, luckily we still have V9 on one of the computers.

R

2. Likes Tom. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have probes just not on his machine. I am the programmmer and He just quit so it is a moot point. I have learned different ways from different people, but this kid (23-25) just wanted to be billy badass machinist when he proved to the company that he is belinda bitchass machinish
    I think this post deserves a "well, that escalated quickly" image, but I'm too laszy to attach it, so here's a link.

Well, that escalated quickly. - Ron burgundy - quickmeme

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

some guys are hot tempered, and this may put them in a bad situation

is important to have patience and be able to locate the issues, especially with teenagers

well, this does not mean that that guy, leaving, did not make you a favor

i met guys really stressed from previous working places, acting unsafe, etc, and some of them turned out well

in the end, is a lotery

but with all respect, that question of yours is pretty basic for 22years (=15 years killing my body and 7 years killing my mind)
    ...maybe this is why your rookie left

ps : this will get me in flames, i know

5. Likes Tom. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

..... How do I teach this young person......

Tom.
    Or how does one teach this old person who programs offsets to radius center?
    Every shop has standards.
    The new guy, no matter how experienced, has to adopt to your shops way and one should be able to explain how they all come out the same.

My dot is the one in center on the bottom of tip. The one on the left bottom also has some advantages.
    Namely that entering any offset or calculating is time consuming and gives you one more number to fat finger screw up.

The kid may have a point but you can't turn the shop rules upside down just because the newbies never punched a tape.
    But those who did need to understand the new kid's methods also and not just shoot them down thinking my old methods are the "right" ones.
    Do so and yup, they will quit, at which point you are now short a man. Now everyone does the lose-lose thing which is not productive.
    Bob

7. Likes Philabuster, litlerob1, Tom. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have probes just not on his machine.
    Hello Tom,
    So where is the setting datum for full radius tool being set on the machines with probes (Tool Setter)? It can't be easily set for centre radius for that type of tool and then to the leading edge in X and Z for a R/H OD turning tool, unless you have an underlying Macro driving the system where a Tool Type can be passed as an argument.

Regards,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    True that.
    Are you some how under the impression, what you write is somehow understandable? Gibberish & Blah Blah at best.We don't comprehend ASLAND here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One advantage with tip no. 3 in external machining is that at least in straight turning and facing, there would be no error even without radius compensation (ignoring end effect).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post

i met guys really stressed from previous working places, acting unsafe, etc, and some of them turned out well

but with all respect, that question of yours is pretty basic for 22years (=15 years killing my body and 7 years killing my mind)
    ...maybe this is why your rookie left

I wont flame anyone! I posted the question to prove to him that the world doesn't rely on how they were trained and to show him that there are multiple ways to wind up at the same point. I was trying to help him become a successful machinist but his age and lack of respect for knowledge led to his demise. I have worked in some real hell holes for some real bastards and I pride myself on not EVER making someone feel the way some of my past supervisors have made me feel about simple mistakes.

12. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Or how does one teach this old person who programs offsets to radius center?

I usually program them correctly. however this instance I had to use a center point style for the bottom of the V-groove we are cutting. We were having blending issues with the 'correct way' and it blended beautifully this other way.

Every shop has standards.
    The new guy, no matter how experienced, has to adopt to your shops way and one should be able to explain how they all come out the same.

I am writing the policy, procedures, and standards manual

The kid may have a point but you can't turn the shop rules upside down just because the newbies never punched a tape.
    But those who did need to understand the new kid's methods also and not just shoot them down thinking my old methods are the "right" ones.

I never shot him down or belittled him, he continued to escalate the issue until he quit and when he quit he did it with style, I can give him that.

Do so and yup, they will quit, at which point you are now short a man. Now everyone does the lose-lose thing which is not productive.

I teach everybody differently, I usually adjust my teaching style to the trainees learning style. Bottom line is he was a bottom of the barrel student (I contacted his course teachers to find out where to send his check and they gave me the low down.)

Bob
    I added to your quote to make it simple

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by machtool View Post
    True that.
    Are you some how under the impression, what you write is somehow understandable? Gibberish & Blah Blah at best.We don't comprehend ASLAND here.
    I cant tell if you are being an ass to kitten or being sarcastic,

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

this part does not run on those machines. we have a "cell" style of grouping our machines here

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Balls busted?? let me check........ nope I am still intact.... we are slowly excommunicating our 2 axis lathes and replacing them with machining centers. we have 3 mill/turn machines (live tooling and live y axis)

17. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by angelw View Post
    Don't hijack this Thread with as you do with most
    do aussies and alanders not get along? I thought we were all parasites on this rock traveling through a vacuum at 1000km/h. why the hell do we still argue about what side of the imaginary line is better?? just my inner earth child emerging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

do aussies and alanders not get along? I thought we were all parasites on this rock traveling through a vacuum at 1000km/h. why the hell do we still argue about what side of the imaginary line is better?? just my inner earth child emerging.

You are not experienced enough in this subject.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

20. Likes litlerob1, Oldwrench, Tom. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Deadly kitten clogs up more threads with useless, complex, difficult to understand replies.
    At best, his solutions are bizarre, some are flat out retarded.
    He gets corrected quite often by more knowledgeable members to try to keep the integrity of the info on this board.

22. Likes Tom. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Balls busted?? let me check........ nope I am still intact.... we are slowly excommunicating our 2 axis lathes and replacing them with machining centers. we have 3 mill/turn machines (live tooling and live y axis)
    While you are tooling them up get Esprit, trying to make Mastercam® work for Mill/Turn machines is a nightmare. The worst thing is that CNC software® and Mastercam® Engineers will lie to your face before the Maintenance bill arrives, about how well they handle it, and how easy it is to modify the post. Don't listen, Mastercam is not designed for it.

They will try to modify an existing post to fit your needs, BECAUSE they haven't written an original for it. That is like the car salesman that promises to fix the used car just like new. Sorry MC rant over.

R

24. Likes Philabuster, Tom., cameraman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

do aussies and alanders not get along?
    No, that's not the case at all. I'm non racist and a strong believer in equal opportunity. Accordingly, I regard ALL pretenders with equal contempt.

This Num Nut is a pretender of the most profound order. In another recent Thread, where there are over 100 Posts (a Thread that should have been concluded is half a dozen Posts at most), the majority of the Posts are from the Pussy, basically arguing Black is White, and me and others batting the ball back, trying to convince him that there is actually a difference. His greatest fail to date and it happened in the aforementioned Thread, was that he advocated using the one tool (one insert) to both turn a shoulder feature and screw cut to the shoulder. Even the greenest new chum knows better than that. Sounds like the Go To person for advice - NOT.

I usually program them correctly. however this instance I had to use a center point style for the bottom of the V-groove we are cutting. We were having blending issues with the 'correct way' and it blended beautifully this other way.
    So you usually set the Full Radius Tool to the edge, but for that job you changed to Radius Centre setting. So why did the new guy's method seem so out of kilter?

I can't see how changing the way the tool is set would make a scrap of difference (apart from one program being harder to read if TRC at the machine is not used). To the control, the program path is just a series of numbers, the resolution of which can only be as fine as the Least Programmable Increment of the control, irrespective of where on the Insert the tool is set.

Regards,

Bill

26. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by angelw View Post
    I can't see how changing the way the tool is set would make a scrap of difference
    Exactly.

Forum requirement:
    "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought we were all parasites on this rock traveling through a vacuum at 1000km/h
    nice one Tom you are not a parasite ...

in this moment i have codes that use 2 different reference systems on same insert

thus programing_point <> tool_senzor_point

code is created with translation factors, that simply compensate the geometrical difference between those 2 points

a soubroutine checks input corections, so cnc will stop if an offset is out of tolerance

admisible tolerance is <<< geometrical difference

this was an example for using translation factors

translation factors + rotations, scale, mirror, etc, are geometrical functions

such functions can be used by :
    ... implementing them into code
    ... switching cnc status :
    ...... from code
    ...... from control switches

for me it began when the control could not handle negative radius when milling on spindle frontal

you said that you have 3 live axis lathe

if you wanna drill a hole with 2 drills :
    ... on a mill, both tools will be in main spindle
    ... on a lathe, each tool will be in a live holder, and live holders do not index with their axis colinear; thus, the 2nd drill will be a little excentric

if you put inside each live tool a center drill and drill at same coordinate, than you will get a different point for each tool

this deviations exist, but generally are lower than the part tolerances

however, as a result, life spam for mill tools working inside a lathe may be reduced, compared to tools working in a mill

if at some point you will need to deliver tight tolerances on a random part on a lathe ( by milling with live tools ), you may find transition factors to come in handy

kindly !

29. Likes Tom. liked this post
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i also have in mind future aplications for using multiple_points on same insert, like making life easier for less experience operators, but so far is only an idea

the reason for it is that sometimes i hear : i input an corection and the machine did not take it, and in that moment my tension raises, because a specific setup may fail from such a mistake, and is me the one who will have to put it back

31. Likes Tom. liked this post