Rook question about setting a radius tool in a lathe - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice to see I'm not the only one that keeps a seat of MCV9 active for turning.

I set full radius grooving tools off the theoretical corner, just as I do every other tool. A lot of times I create a second offset for the backside corner.

2. Likes Tom. liked this post
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RobMcQuillen View Post
    A lot of times I create a second offset for the backside corner
    hy / i try o avoid using 2 offsets for same tool, or should i say i try to avoid an operator editing 2 offsets for same tool

if possible i use a single one, and i rely on insert precision to deliver the 2nd one

whenever possible, i update offsets from code : for example, on a grooving tool whitch is desired to deliver left and right, i automatically update X for 2nd offset, based on X of 1st offset

other times i input corections for 2nd offset from other places, not from main offset table, so to avoid having the operator messing with other things

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shall I jump into the mire with everyone else? Many have said that it is much easier to locate the edges of the insert for tool offset. I agree. I would have set at least X to the actual cutting diameter. I can see a need to shift Z. I sometimes comp my .125 parting tool by .125 so when I cut the back face of the part it reads print dimensions. I think that there needs to be a peaceful coexistence between the operator and the programmer and to offend you Tom, I would have probably been upset about the way you set your tools too. Even if he had stayed, you guys would have been butting heads if you are not at least willing to hear out the reasoning for not shifting the X offset INTO the part.

A wiser friend then I told me just recently that if a programmer is friendly and respected by all the folks that he writes programs for that shop will have an attitude where all of his programs function very well and he is a great guy. However if the programmer is arrogant and divisive he will be loathed by all of the folks running his programs and not one of his parts will run well.

At a previous place I worked they had a night shift and the guy programming the horizontal (on day shift) would write programs for the night crew. I met the guy and he was very hard to get along with. Nothing came off that horizontal! they would buy 1 inch diameter end mills with 5" length of cut and the operators would laugh as it rapid into clamps etc... "hahaha that &*$%@ can't program for #*&^!!!" I am not arguing the ethics of the operators. I am trying to tell you that you may need to bend.

You can believe the operator who quit was bottom feeder, and he may have been. Setting the tool may even be a moot subject as the qualifications of your guy, but you do have control of how all of the other people in the shop view you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GBeaman View Post
    Shall I jump into the mire with everyone else? Many have said that it is much easier to locate the edges of the insert for tool offset. I agree. I would have set at least X to the actual cutting diameter. I can see a need to shift Z. I sometimes comp my .125 parting tool by .125 so when I cut the back face of the part it reads print dimensions. I think that there needs to be a peaceful coexistence between the operator and the programmer and to offend you Tom, I would have probably been upset about the way you set your tools too. Even if he had stayed, you guys would have been butting heads if you are not at least willing to hear out the reasoning for not shifting the X offset INTO the part.

A wiser friend then I told me just recently that if a programmer is friendly and respected by all the folks that he writes programs for that shop will have an attitude where all of his programs function very well and he is a great guy. However if the programmer is arrogant and divisive he will be loathed by all of the folks running his programs and not one of his parts will run well.

At a previous place I worked they had a night shift and the guy programming the horizontal (on day shift) would write programs for the night crew. I met the guy and he was very hard to get along with. Nothing came off that horizontal! they would buy 1 inch diameter end mills with 5" length of cut and the operators would laugh as it rapid into clamps etc... "hahaha that &*$%@ can't program for #*&^!!!" I am not arguing the ethics of the operators. I am trying to tell you that you may need to bend.

You can believe the operator who quit was bottom feeder, and he may have been. Setting the tool may even be a moot subject as the qualifications of your guy, but you do have control of how all of the other people in the shop view you.

Hello GBeaman,
    Well said.

I believe it important for the program, particularly in X, to relate the the actual part dimensions, for the purpose of easy readability, whether its by the programmer, or subsequent operators. This clearly won't be the case with X set to the centre of the Radius, unless the program is written to use TRC at the control.

Tom made the following comment in a previous Post, so its a bit puzzling why the fuss. Perhaps its a case of the Cock of The Walk feeling challenged by the New, Young Rooster.

Regards,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    I usually program them correctly. however this instance I had to use a center point style for the bottom of the V-groove we are cutting. We were having blending issues with the 'correct way' and it blended beautifully this other way.

6. Likes Tom. liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom. View Post
    ... we are currently discussing the "proper" way to set a full radius grooving tool...
    There's the problem right there. The "proper" way is whatever way your shop does it. If they use GPS on an iPhone bolted to the turret, that's the way you get to do it in that shop. If someone wants to make a suggestion, that's cool, but arguments about what's 'proper' are out of place.

8. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I practice kindness and respect daily. Even to those who do not deserve it. I remain calm in chaos. I have spent years training myself NOT to become a problem individual.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am as malleable as bronze.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 12 people with 7+ years experience each, a couple of them have 30 plus years. I am very concerned with my people trusting my abilities and I am always the first to admit fault. Part of my training program is to introduce one or two techs that are not currently used and see if the NG can conform to a little 'on the fly' chaos.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by angelw View Post
    Tom made the following comment in a previous Post, so its a bit puzzling why the fuss. Perhaps its a case of the Cock of The Walk feeling challenged by the New, Young Rooster.
    It could of been.... I would like to think of myself as a fair nonjudgemental individual. I was trying to share my knowledge with him and he did not want the help. My approach is as if I was teaching my nephew (not as hard on other peoples kids as I am of my own)

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if i may : there are dating sites for sentimentalism

12. Likes Tom. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    Here we go again, what is wrong with you? Are you stupid? Why are you posting?

https://youtu.be/Gxep5Z1h3_U?t=4

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

cat.jpg

Did you forget to take your retard medications today? Remember Cat; you are the stupid, and I am the identifier of stupid men.

15. Likes machtool liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

dead-cat.jpg

Dumbshit, half-wit, moron, retard, airhead, blockhead, dimwit, boob, dope, dumbbell, dunce, idiot, imbecile, lunkhead, simpleton, cretin, twit, twat, muttonhead, nincompoop, tomfool shut up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    shtuff!
    You have no doubt went over the guidlines here.

I think that most of y'all posting in this thread need to learn better posting etiquette.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

18. Likes yardbird, Tom. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okay, Ox.

R

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink

Well that escalated quickly. I value all opinions, I select which advice (based on actuality of facts) and gloss over the trolls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In case nobody has noticed kitten got banned.

Brent

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing I have learned over the last 29 years of programming is that programming is as much diplomacy as it is a technical skill. if you include the shop in planning programs, they'll do everything in their power to make them run successfully, since they have skin in the game. If you try to shove something down their throat that seems like a good idea to you, but they don't like, they'll do everything in their power to prove you wrong.

23. Likes Hazzert, Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by yardbird View Post
    In case nobody has noticed kitten got banned.

Brent

I wonder on what grounds?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I wonder on what grounds?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    My guess is public opinion?

Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The last ??? presidents haven't been banned.

???

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    One thing I have learned over the last 29 years of programming is that programming is as much diplomacy as it is a technical skill. if you include the shop in planning programs, they'll do everything in their power to make them run successfully, since they have skin in the game. If you try to shove something down their throat that seems like a good idea to you, but they don't like, they'll do everything in their power to prove you wrong.
    Until they get written up for not following policy and procedure. but like I wrote earlier, all of my individuals are in my corner, we have a great working relationship. Even my most insecure person knows that when I cut a program it is correct. We have a policy that (depends on the complexity) no program gets released to the floor until a 'buddy check' has been done.