What's new
What's new

Roto Vise

This seems like a good solution

only of you are not machining metal, or if you are not using high specs :)

... i think you could add a flange / something, so to gain tailstock suport

maybe you can ask for a test, so to eliminate your doubts ? that thing may be a booster for specific parts :)

The rotary's are set up facing the front of the machine. Not much space to add support. I'll measure it Monday. I'm also thinking of turning a solid steel "nose", mounting them to the rotary's and then milling a flat table for a kurt toolroom vise. I like the idea of 4 vises per spindle.

yes, i guess you can make your own bed ( nose ) for those vices :)

maybe you can use a tailstock, if your parts are small, so to use smaller vices :)

also, i think you may craft a solid thing, with vices included in it ... thus the vice and the nose is one :)

The rotary's are forward on the table facing the operator. I'd like to leave them like that for operator comfort while loading. They are spaced apart the same distance as the spindles so two parts are cut at the same time.
The parts are going to be mostly 17-4.

Nice looking vise model. I notice they say a tailstock is not needed. IMO it probably depends on the rotaries more than the vise. If they are solid then I don't think tailstocks would help, and I use a tailstock to hold almost everything with my 4th.

How precise is the work you are doing? I am setting one up right now. The vises precision out of the box leaves a lot to be desired!
I spent considerable time this morning dialing my rotaries platter to within .0002" Y & Z.
Bolted the vise up. And attacked it with an indicator.
The indicator is all over the place checking this thing out. I would not rely on this thing to hold +-.005" on anything.
If I zero the position with the indicator zeroed on the vise bed @ 0-deg. and roll it 90-deg. the position is off .0087 one way. And, .0068 the other.
Repeatably, and exactly.
Maybe the finish on the sliding surface of the move jaw could be an indication?

20170815_131628.jpg

And the lock-tight on the POS soft as butter Set-screw that holds the move jaws was a nice touch to fuck up an allen key I have had for 20 years without fucking up until now :angry:

Oh man, that's disappointing. I was looking at one too. Great idea, but "we machine rotovise parts on a rotovise!" gave me pause. You'd think they would want to machine vise parts on something a LOT more rigid, like a horizontal.

Here is some more juice for you guys:

20170815_141452.jpg

20170815_141609.jpg

That is the fixed jaw locating slot that the .277" pin is standing in.
And that is the fixed jaw locating boss that mates that slot that the calipers are measuring.
Those calipers measure that pin as .2775". So there is at least .006" clearance in the location of the fixed jaw.

Make no mistake gentlemen. This thing is a POS. High level hobby grade.
I am going to run the dog-shit out of it on some low tolerance production work (if I can get it to make good parts).
I will report back how well it holds up.

I have been administering swift and repeated kicks to myself's ass all day for not jumping on the Chick that went fairly cheap on ebay several weeks back instead!

The decision was made to make a fixture out of solid material to save on the cost of the vise. It was made before the posts from those who purchased it. Thanks for the feedback.

The decision was made to make a fixture out of solid material to save on the cost of the vise

... i would build the vice in it :) if something happens, you can still mill out the integrated_vices and buy real ones

also, you may consider including only the fix jaw, and buy 4 moveable jaws

just saying :)

Here is some more juice for you guys:

View attachment 205880

View attachment 205881

That is the fixed jaw locating slot that the .277" pin is standing in.
And that is the fixed jaw locating boss that mates that slot that the calipers are measuring.
Those calipers measure that pin as .2775". So there is at least .006" clearance in the location of the fixed jaw.

Make no mistake gentlemen. This thing is a POS. High level hobby grade.
I am going to run the dog-shit out of it on some low tolerance production work (if I can get it to make good parts).
I will report back how well it holds up.

I have been administering swift and repeated kicks to myself's ass all day for not jumping on the Chick that went fairly cheap on ebay several weeks back instead!

Holy cow - Thanks Bill! I saw on IG a while back that you had bought one of these and was really considering one myself. I'm really, really grateful to you for sharing your challenges with it.

As an aside, this seems to match up with just about everything else I've personally seen and heard as far as the 'quality' of stuff that comes out of the popular social media/YouTube 'machine shops'

Well that's kinda disappointing. I saw those on their website and thought it looked interesting and worth a try on one of my other rotaries. Lot lower profile than the home brewed one I made.

The rotary's are set up facing the front of the machine. Not much space to add support. I'll measure it Monday. I'm also thinking of turning a solid steel "nose", mounting them to the rotary's and then milling a flat table for a kurt toolroom vise. I like the idea of 4 vises per spindle.

If you decide to make your own - this is what I did. Maybe give ya some idears.

20170222_122055.jpg

Love that.
icon14.png

Back