Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SamS View Post
    So I was able to run the program once I decreased by axial depth of cut. So it's cutting (albeit slowly) until the carbide cutter comes in from Maritool. We went with the 3/4 coated carbide from them. If you don't mind helping me again what would be some safe numbers to start off with side milling with carbide cutter? We are climb milling, still force to go into a .7 radius corner. Material is 4140A. Thanks again guys!
    There is a link to a speeds and feeds chart on the web site.
    3/4 TIALN rougher MariTool

per chart
    med carbon steel

200-280 sfm
    .0035 feed/tooth
    .25x dia stepover for profiling
    2x dia for axial depth

probably be a good place to start

2. Likes SamS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    There is a link to a speeds and feeds chart on the web site.
    3/4 TIALN rougher MariTool

per chart
    med carbon steel

200-280 sfm
    .0035 feed/tooth
    .25x dia stepover for profiling
    2x dia for axial depth

probably be a good place to start
    NO ITS NOT.. Not for an annealed 4140.. Annealed 4xx0 isn't very far off of
    1018... You can get stupid with it.. Maybe back her down 15-20%.

Hardened, different story..

4. Likes triumph406, litlerob1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I should have mentioned we are using conversational programming for this part so HSM toolpaths are out of the equation.
    It's 2018. You need to make HSM toolpaths part of your equation.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    It's 2018. You need to make HSM toolpaths part of your equation.
    What useful insight, thanks I'll just go purchase a machine with HSM capabilities now.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post

Going off the chart, 15%-20% down from 1018 (low carbon) would put you slower than the speeds for 4140 (med carbon). Do you have a more specific speeds and feeds recommendation for someone looking for advice.
    Not trying to be an ass, just trying to help and I'm curious myself.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post

Yeah I really enjoy working with 4140. Some of the charts I've used seem to be way off, so I just wanted to see if I could get some opinions, but I'll start with what they've provided!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't had much experience using a roughing end mill in a cnc machine previous to this part so I am a bit in the dark on how to run it. We have a lot of material to remove so it's important I get it right so we don't burn through tools! The material is 4140A, the set-up is not an issue, plenty to grab by in the vice. I am using a HSS 3/4 diameter x 1-5/8 length roughing endmill, machine has 20HP. I am side milling, the required depth is 1.5 inches. My initial numbers are 1.5 axial depth of cut, .116 radial depth of cut, speed 500 RPM and feed of 6.6 ipm. After the first piece the endmill seems to be cutting fine but already looks a bit worn, should I not be taking the full 1.5 inch depth at once?

Thanks for your help!
    1.75 or 2.0" dia roughing HSS endmill can often take 10 or more hp

10. Likes SamS liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What useful insight, thanks I'll just go purchase a machine with HSM capabilities now.
    What makes you think your machine isn't capable of HSM paths?

1- With a wide smoothing tolerance, most older machines aren't going to have an problem feeding steel HSM feed rates of 30-50IPM. Sure, if you want to do maximum PsychoMill aluminum killing speeds of 400ipm, older machines can't keep up, but that isn't the application here. If you've got a conversational control, I'm betting you can probably do HSM just fine. For reference, my 2006 Robodrill with the low-end 0i-MC Fanuc control can do 200ipm aluminum roughing HSM paths just fine.

2- CAM to spit out high quality HSM toolpath is now free with Fusion 360. You can download it, run through some YouTube tutorials, and probably have HSM paths running on your machine in a day or two. And those techniques are going to improve basically everything you ever do with it, so it's a worthwhile investment.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What makes you think your machine isn't capable of HSM paths?

1- With a wide smoothing tolerance, most older machines aren't going to have an problem feeding steel HSM feed rates of 30-50IPM. Sure, if you want to do maximum PsychoMill aluminum killing speeds of 400ipm, older machines can't keep up, but that isn't the application here. If you've got a conversational control, I'm betting you can probably do HSM just fine. For reference, my 2006 Robodrill with the low-end 0i-MC Fanuc control can do 200ipm aluminum roughing HSM paths just fine.

2- CAM to spit out high quality HSM toolpath is now free with Fusion 360. You can download it, run through some YouTube tutorials, and probably have HSM paths running on your machine in a day or two. And those techniques are going to improve basically everything you ever do with it, so it's a worthwhile investment.
    HSM is generally defined as RPMs over 12,000, our machine only gets to 10,000. I believe you are referring to just better toolpaths (adaptive clearing). We have Fusion and we are working towards getting it function with our machine, but we are also working on a million other things at the same time! I do have plenty of questions on Fusion if you're willing to answer them though

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HSM is generally defined as RPMs over 12,000, our machine only gets to 10,000. I believe you are referring to just better toolpaths (adaptive clearing). We have Fusion and we are working towards getting it function with our machine, but we are also working on a million other things at the same time! I do have plenty of questions on Fusion if you're willing to answer them though
    My hitachis max at 10,000 and I run HSM at 7500 because our machines are old but that didn't stop me from trying. Start out with light cuts at full depth and make adjustments in the machine. I started out slow and light cuts and when I finished a job I nearly tripled the feed and doubled the step over before the parts starting moving out of the fixture.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going off the chart, 15%-20% down from 1018 (low carbon) would put you slower than the speeds for 4140 (med carbon). Do you have a more specific speeds and feeds recommendation for someone looking for advice.
    I looked at the S&F chart for that Tool, pretty conservative, which is just good business for a Tool Manufacturer. It lists 500 SFM for 1018, that is pretty dang slow.

I'm pretty sure Bob was under the impression that it would be much higher on the chart, hence the "drop it down 15-20%". I will run 1000 SFM in 1018 easy really. SO dropping it to 800 SFM is pretty reasonable (maybe a little high for my taste, but doable). Still that is double what the OP is doing. It takes a good effort to F-up 4140, so I would start with a .004" chipload with SFM below 800 and no HSM toopaths, and make adjustments from there.

As far as JUST DO IT-HSM toolpaths go, it took me a little while to adapt to them, I didn't just wake up one day and everything was HSM. Granted once I got involved, that was a spiritual experience, but it took time to prove out.

My ±2 R

15. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I HFM 17-4 and titanium every day on a Haas. I also HFM 4140 prehard for vise jaws. I started learning about it almost 20 years ago, and there are very few situations I've seen where it isn't both applicable and preferable. You can probably get the basics of it even with conversational programming; just cut to full depth with 8%-10% stepover with appropriately adjusted feeds and speeds.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fair!

I think the term HSM often becomes a catch-all for a whole series of techniques and tools that I tend to think of as part of (to ape the gun world) the "Modern Technique" - algorithm generated constant cutter engagement toolpath, chip thinning speeds/feeds, trochoidal motion, maximum axial engagement, advanced tooling materials/coatings, etc. Depending on the application, material we're working with, and our equipment capabilities, we can pick and choose from this bag of tricks as necessary.

In this case though? I think you'll get massive bang for your buck by getting this job off the conversational and into Fusion so you can apply their Adaptive Clearing (i.e. algorithm generated, constant cutter engagement, material aware lead-in tool path).

18. Likes Bobw, micro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What he said up there. Slotting, take it easy, you are building heat for 180 degrees. 350-450...
    You start getting narrow and deep, you can get WAY up there. 700 sfm at a 10-12% stepover, I would say is
    comfortable. I've played a bit up to around 1200 with a 1/2" endmill, and I don't have much more spindle
    than that.. And feed the hell out of it. Messing around with a facemill, trying to make time(nothing
    fancy, just an SExx blah blah 45 degree lead, $7 or $8 inserts, and I'll run 800-900 surface feet, and
    I've not had anything bad happen finishing up to 1400..

That's trying to make time and move metal.. One offs and small stuff where the time doesn't really
    much matter, my goto numbers are around 350-450sfm. Even at that speed and being conservative on feeds,
    you have to TRY and get below 4 cubic inches a minute..

4xx0 ANNEALED, is really really close to dealing with a mild steel. It even likes to tear when
    you are turning it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fair!

I think the term HSM often becomes a catch-all for a whole series of techniques and tools that I tend to think of as part of (to ape the gun world) the "Modern Technique" - algorithm generated constant cutter engagement toolpath, chip thinning speeds/feeds, trochoidal motion, maximum axial engagement, advanced tooling materials/coatings, etc. Depending on the application, material we're working with, and our equipment capabilities, we can pick and choose from this bag of tricks as necessary.

In this case though? I think you'll get massive bang for your buck by getting this job off the conversational and into Fusion so you can apply their Adaptive Clearing (i.e. algorithm generated, constant cutter engagement, material aware lead-in tool path).
    I thought you were being a dick, suggesting we don't have a modern machine. My fault! It was just misunderstanding. HSM is indeed a catch all phrase now. I've always thought of it as meaning high spindle speeds and accurate enough machine to hit points accurately at speed.

Regardless....I've taken everyone's advice and I brought in an old friend who has taken programs from cam to the machine and he cleared up a lot of questions. Our cutters don't come in until Monday so I am hoping to have a program proofed out and ready from fusion by then. My cad skills are good so I'm only worried about that scary moment of hitting the start cycle button

Again thanks for the help everyone!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

99% of the stuff we do is expensive 1 - 10 qty jobs. Most of the industry that I am in, at least the shops I've worked at and visited, are still running on mostly 2.5 axis Bridgeports. So when they go over to full cnc the toolpaths, feeds and speeds don't seem to change much (machinists are faaaairly hardheaded). I was trained by someone just like that, so I am admittedly a bit ignorant on applying modern toolpaths and really getting the mrr up

22. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just for reference sake. Im running a group of 316L parts right now. Using a 3/4" kodiak carbide rougher 2.5" down at 1400 rpm .03" step over and 30 ipm (in an er32 holder none the less). Yeah, yeah.... its what I had on hand, and it works....
    Yes, small step over and higher rpm than I would usually like from a roughing mill, but when youre dangling out you have to find the happy harmonic place. I've removed 1/4" from 4 faces 6" long on 250 parts, and the end mill looks nearly new.
    Pretty sure it wants to go party with its buddies! love that one Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey guys the cutter came in and we are cutting! Not used to that noise from a rougher, but it sounds good to me! Higher pitched and no recutting of chips. I started it at the recommended settings with a smaller step over due to going into a corner. Sounded better once I sped the feed up a little. Thanks for the help. Now it's time to cut some 410 ss

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One more question...I see a lot of people saying a cutter with this coating should be run without coolant...is that true. I am running it with coolant now, unfortunately we don't have forced air.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One more question...I see a lot of people saying a cutter with this coating should be run without coolant...is that true. I am running it with coolant now, unfortunately we don't have forced air.
    I was going to say something, but I figured someone else would. If you are cutting the periphery of the part, NO coolant. If you are doing a pocket, you need to get the chips out. Basically, the idea is that the hot chips are coming off the part, and the coating can deal with the heat generated in the Tool.

But the last thing you want is to re-cut hot chips from 4140.

R