What's new
What's new

RS 232 and TC-227

tc227

Aluminum
I have a brother tc 227 it is G and M code programing
I'm trying to to get the RS 232 working on it
Can I use hyper terminal to talk to it or do I have to get special software to do this.
I have contacted my local brother dealer and made up the 25 pin to 9 pin cable per their diagram that they sent me. They told me not to mess around with it leave it alone and just use it.
I would like to do some milling with it but when typing a long program would be nice to RS232.
Any info would be helpful.

Yes you can use hyperterminal or predator or something equivalent. You use a null modem or software handshaking cable. Use the ptp/ptr port and settings. Program will have % signs top and bottom and Oxxxx program # after the top % sign.

Do you have to use a O to before program numbers?
When you start a new program you only have 4 numbers to type in and you have to have 4 numbers or it will not take program.

In the machine, programs are a 4 digit #. When communicating with hyperterminal as a text file, there will be an Oxxxx at the top in the program. I usually try to send a program out of the machine and capture it with hyperterminal to establish communications. Then you can open the program offline and see the format. The older machines need all caps as I recall, even in comments. Also they were sensitive to various symbols such as underscores and punctuation marks if I remember correctly.

Another tool that helps diagnosing serial issues is RealTerm. Sourceforge or other trusted open source site for download. Much more complex than HyperTerminal, etc., but you can really dig into things with it.

I will try that later this week.
Thanks for the info

I tried to receive a program and the mill said it was sending it out then a couple of minutes later it alarmed out with a 1660 com error {0036).
Transmission or reception does not performed within the communication monitor time.
My settings are

MACHINE#
Baud 5 9600
PARITY 2 EVEN
stop bit 0 1
CHARACTER 0 7
RESPONSE MONT TIME 60
COM TYPE 0
DC1 CODE 17
DC2 CODE 18

DC3 CODE 147
DC4 CODE 20
DR SIGNAL CHECK 0
ENDING DC3 CODE 0
TRANSMISSION CODE 0 ISO
END OF BLOCK 0 CR,LF
TV CHECK 0
HEADING OUTPUT 1 YES
LINES PER PAGE 54

Tried to send and nothing happens
Tried a different cable and still nothing

Does your machine have a 'Computer' RS232 port and a 'PTP/PTR' port? You want to use the PTP/PTR port and settings.

I am using the PTP/PTR port
It has 3 ports Printer, computer and PTP/PTR port

Can you try your cable and computer on another machine? Something you know communicates, even a fanuc control machine? I like to rule out everything before I start suspecting the machine.

Works with my HAAS ,computer and took my 3 wire cable from the HAAS to the brother
The 7 wire brother cable I did not try on my HAAS

Works with my HAAS ,computer and took my 3 wire cable from the HAAS to the brother
The 7 wire brother cable I did not try on my HAAS

I just got our slightly newer Brother (A00 control) communicating with the settings and cable listed at the link below. I wasn’t using the same software as in the example but I matched the given settings up with my options as best I could and it worked.

Maybe even just by going through it as a checklist will help?

Brother TC-32 A G-code file transfer or DNC

I have a brother tc 227 it is G and M code programing
I'm trying to to get the RS 232 working on it
Can I use hyper terminal to talk to it or do I have to get special software to do this.
I have contacted my local brother dealer and made up the 25 pin to 9 pin cable per their diagram that they sent me. They told me not to mess around with it leave it alone and just use it.
I would like to do some milling with it but when typing a long program would be nice to RS232.
Any info would be helpful.

Hello tc227,
I can tell you that you won't be able to use Hyper Terminal using the DC3 code shown in the Machine Settings in your Post #7. The convention is that Control Character DC3 (Xoff) is ASCII 19. Hyper Terminal can't be set to use alternate characters for Xon/Xoff and will use the conventional ASCII 17 and 19 characters for Xon/Xoff respectively. You may be able to start the Communication session, sending a program to an External Device, but, if using Hyper Terminal and an Xoff character (ASCII 19) is sent to the Control in the process Flow Control, the control will not recognize it as an Xoff.

There are Comms Software where the control character values can be specified so as to accommodate controls that use non standard Protocol.

Regards,

Bill

I'm not trying to DNC with this old bone.
I run 10 to 300 line programs with lots of arcs.

I'm not trying to DNC with this old bone.
I run 10 to 300 line programs with lots of arcs.

And your point is?

It makes zero difference, in terms of communication protocol, whether you're simply transferring a program, of exercising DNC to the machine.

Regards,

Bill

I just got our slightly newer Brother (A00 control) communicating with the settings and cable listed at the link below. I wasn’t using the same software as in the example but I matched the given settings up with my options as best I could and it worked.

The settings linked here look about right as I recall. You can try different settings. It won't hurt anything. Can you post pics of the screens you are going through and the keyboard buttons you are using when attempting to send out a program?

The settings linked here look about right as I recall. You can try different settings. It won't hurt anything. Can you post pics of the screens you are going through and the keyboard buttons you are using when attempting to send out a program?

Hello BROTHERFRANK,
I just don't get it. In the Machine Parameter Settings it suggests:
DC3 Code = 147

Then under Set ConnectCNC - Common Settings
Xoff char. = 18

This is not my first Rodeo regarding RS232 communication and its common knowledge that the protocol for the devices at each end of the wire have to match. Not all Comms Software is able to set the values for Xon/Xoff characters and therefore, will use the conventions of DC1 (ASCII 17) and DC3 (ASCII 19) for Xon and Xoff receptively.

The ASCII standard does not reserve any control characters for use as XON/XOFF specifically. However, it does provide four generic "device control" characters (DC1 through DC4). By convention Xon is DC1 (ASCII 17 - HEX 11) and Xoff is DC3 (ASCII 19 - HEX 13)

Regards,

Bill

The settings are pretty much the same as the computer setting on the tc-227
I was wondering if you have a PTR/PTP setting on the A control?
I started using Connect CNC software as you suggested
The tc-227 say's it is sending to PTR but computer is waiting and nothing happens.
Try ed to send to tc from tablet and nothing happens.

The settings are pretty much the same as the computer setting on the tc-227
I was wondering if you have a PTR/PTP setting on the A control?
I started using Connect CNC software as you suggested
The tc-227 say's it is sending to PTR but computer is waiting and nothing happens.
Try ed to send to tc from tablet and nothing happens.
Hello tc-227,
List the Port Setting you have for the Connect CNC application.

Regards,

Bill

Back