What's new
What's new

rust on linear rails

carl laniak

Aluminum
So,
I've got a chance to take possession of an 15 year old VMC for next to nothing.

I've got brand new ballscrews/nuts to put on it.

but this thing has seen some "elements" (outdoors under a good tarp for a while)

Can anyone who knows of such things take a look at the amount of rust on these linear rails and let me know an what they think?
Can these potentially be cleaned up and work, or does this amount of rust mean the rails are scrap?

this machine is lubricated by grease fittings.

the control enclosures are dry and clean inside.

input appreciated.
just trying to educate myself on what i'm up against.

thanks,
carlIMG_1946.jpgIMG_1967.jpg

Carl, that doesn't look like "weather", that looks like abuse and lack of care.

Firstly, those shouldn't be exposed, but the extreme corrosion exhibited would suggest there was a catalyst in the machine. If the rails and surrounding parts look like that, the rest of the machine can't be much better.

Only way to tell is clean it off and see if it is pitted. If it is pitted then they will still work but with a reduced lifespan. Since you are getting it for next to nothing I wouldn't be too scared.

Looks like light surface rust on the rails. Remove as much as possible with non abrasive methods and WD40 with Scotchbrite from there. Clean clean all slurry before moving. Hand pump into the blocks to force out anything that may be just inside the sael. Like Dave said, just reduced life. Seals willtake a beating going over the rust.

Thanks for the input. i'll clean them up and be extremely patient in that regard.
Perry is correct in that the recent "care" (or lack there of) of this machine was done by someone who didn't appreciate what it is.
If this turns into a project I look forward to posting and updating the community with how it goes.
My expectations are low, which is usually a very good place to start on something like this.
Carl

I would make very sure to NOT let the table move untill it was clean in that direction.
(To not induce rust up into the truck)

But then it is hard to say if it is rusty between the trucks?

Per the control:

I have a machine that we moved and tarped in the middle of the summer, and then built a small addition around it. Got 3-4" of rain in short order. The following days were 90*+ and created a steamy condition under the tarp. Actually took out the hard drive. and that was inside a dry cabinet!

-------------------

Steamy Winders
Ox

Back