What's new
What's new

RustLick 'foaming' upon tank mix

Bones288

Plastic
Having never used RustLick before, I'm wondering if anyone else has ever seen it foam up, like whip cream, when you mix it directly into the tank?
Now it looks like I'm flooding the work enclosure with milk! :eek:

Thx.

last time I saw rust lick do that there was chlorine or some kinda addictive in the supply water.

Sounds like you're adding coolant oil directly to the tank? not premixing in a pail of water?
Maybe that's the problem.

I second the idea that you should be mixing it before you put it in the machine. If not manually mixing it in a bucket, there are also mixers that mixes coolant for you; just hook up a water hose to it and bam, mixed coolant.

Also, do you know what concentration you are running? Meaning, have you checked the concentration?

Yeah I tried pouring directly into the tank and mixing approx 10:1 but I have a refactometer on the way so I can do a better job next time.

First test cut happened today and I’m so excited with the results! Is this what a REAL spindle is like!

Another fundamentals question: should I be more worried about SFM or chip load? If SFM is more about preserving the cutter then I’d rather sacrifice some tool life for faster parts. Thought?

Okay, refacto showed up and told me "You're an idiot and there's WAY too much coolant!!"

So my new question is: what happens - or is the problem - if the mix is too concentrated?

Bones, is there capacity in your tank to add more water? That will dilute the coolant concentration down.

Also, not sure which Rustlick product you're using, or what you are cutting, but I used WS-11 for a while because I got it for free. We switched to Trim E206, and it's a big improvement. I haven't seen many (any?) positive postings about Rustlick on PM.

Can you show the sights you are making yet?

Bones, is there capacity in your tank to add more water? That will dilute the coolant concentration down.

Also, not sure which Rustlick product you're using, or what you are cutting, but I used WS-11 for a while because I got it for free. We switched to Trim E206, and it's a big improvement. I haven't seen many (any?) positive postings about Rustlick on PM.

Can you show the sights you are making yet?

I'll definitely switch over to Trim after this. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm seriously impressed that you remembered I was making sights! And I can't show the product until I get the design patents started (which is a good reminder for me to get off my butt with that).

Also, any idea what happens if the coolant concentration is too high?

If too high, you are wasting coolant with the carryoff. You may also get more smoke, and the possibility of dermatitis is increased. For sure do not add straight coolant to your machine. A good proportioner will get you the right mix and save money.

Also, any idea what happens if the coolant concentration is too high?

My wild guess is nothing too bad. Using an older machine, maybe not exactly right feeds and speeds, trying to get your processes dialed in, I would bet rich coolant isn't going to be the show stopper. Buy good tooling and press on.

Most coolant manufacturers say to never straight water to coolant. Always oil in last. Just adding water can make rusting issues.
Mix at only around 1%, then add. So if your tank is full and way too strong, take a few pails out, store them for later use. Add new low concentration mix.

What type of sights are we talking, aperture for TR? front or rear?

Most coolant manufacturers say to never straight water to coolant. Always oil in last. Just adding water can make rusting issues.
Mix at only around 1%, then add. So if your tank is full and way too strong, take a few pails out, store them for later use. Add new low concentration mix.

What type of sights are we talking, aperture for TR? front or rear?

I have some two-in-one sights for pistols that I'm putting a shop together for. The parts are a bit complicated and 'some' of the tolerance requirements are a bit high for a few features so the vendor quote that came back was a bit beyond what I was comfortable with. LOL so I open a small shop for less (well, still setting up). I figure if it all falls apart and my product doesn't sell as expected then I'd still have a shop to work with versus having lost my entire 401k and left with nothing.

As of yesterday I finally made a 'pre-test' test fixture and was blown away with how quickly and accurately everything happened. If that's what 1) a real spindle, 2) a tool changer, and 3) servos can do then I've been wasting a ton of time up to now! :)

Tomorrow I'll start the first op on my actual test parts. I've been working on this for around ten years and tomorrow is day one.

I'll be sure to start with your coolant remedy first! Thx.

Back