What's new
What's new

Sales Rep rubs you the wrong way

Thisguy65

Plastic
Knew you had three machines you wanted, but your first choice is being ruin by the sales experience for the brand? My primary job is in sales and you never trash talk your competition. One of the reps below, does it as often as the situation allows for.

This is first time I've ran in to this this and I'm honestly perplex as to what do do. When a rep says "So you are ordering a lesser machine" that rubs me the wrong way.

I agree it speaks to an unprofessional attitude... I had a rep do that recently when looking into SLS 3D printing services. Spent quite a bit of time trash talking the competition. Competition that I had already had quite a few good experiences with, so trashing them didn't do much to get me on his side.

Talking about how your offering is better makes sense, but doing that while talking trash is weak. Especially the "so you're buying an inferior machine" kind of trash talk, because they're being disrespectful to you as well by talking like that...

Is the salesman relaying the attitude of the company or just his way? Principle or just sales schmuck.

Is he correct in applying the label "lessor" to the other product? If not, don't deal with him and call the manager or just pass on it.

The whole system is weird and archaic. I understand the need for somebody to represent the company, help make sure customers are looking at the right product, etc. Some of "the good ones" bring a considerable amount of value to the process. However, some salesmen might as well be slinging used cars.

The frustrating part is that so much of their compensation is based on the performance of their team, not just the sales rep. We've probably all bought great products from slimy salesmen, or had to turn away somebody who went above-and-beyond.

In the year 2019 it is amazing that every company doesn't have *actual* prices plastered all over the place, and a sales team that primarily exists to provide technical assistance. It often feels like things are intentionally obfuscated to protect all of the middle men who need a cut.

Had a jerk new car salesman experience. So I showed up five days in a row with progressively more expensive and exotic cars and when he finally got interested, I blew him off and then showed up with exactly what I had wanted from another dealer. Damn just because I showed up with a cheap beater doesn't mean I don't own a couple Rolls' or a Morgan etc!

Had a jerk new car salesman experience. So I showed up five days in a row with progressively more expensive and exotic cars and when he finally got interested, I blew him off and then showed up with exactly what I had wanted from another dealer. Damn just because I showed up with a cheap beater doesn't mean I don't own a couple Rolls' or a Morgan etc!

LOL! First come back from the war, there wasn't yet no online equities trading. So I'm in Pru-Bache brick and mortar Brokerage, watching the board, trying to decide where to put my savings.

One old guy in a favorite but kinda moth-eaten cardigan there every day. Seemed like a harmless old pensioner with nowhere else warm and safe to be.....until one day?

"Pete? Telephone has just now dropped below 50. I'll have another thousand shares at that."

"Yes Sir, Mr. C____ !" And it was made so. At once.

Old Greek immigrant owned about ten percent of all the buildings on main street and some of the businesses, IN them.

Yah never know....

:)

Account Manager is lacking?

Contact the Field support/Engineering channel. Not the Chairman, AKA "Excuse Peddler In Chief".

Support folks will either have the helpfuller FACTS. Or serve PROOF the whole damned outfit is best walked away from.

No product or service can be any better than its people for very long.

Has the salejerk been with that company for over a year, or less? If less, he may not be there much longer, judging by my past experiences with similar. If you think you need the machine he's peddling, talk to someone higher in the company and express your frustration, see if they can accomodate you another way. If they want your business, they will. If they don't, walk. Your impression is accurate, he's a bad salesman, and he'll let you down during an important and expensive decision. How many ways can that purchase go wrong? Probably more than you can know. Don't do business with people you don't trust.

This was actually a contributing factor for not choosing a certain brand on a recent machine purchase.

Firstly it was it was more expensive, but that wasn't a deciding factor on its own.

Factor 2 was the salesman frequently talking about flaws that the others supposedly had. It was obvious from the start that he had little to no knowledge of the machines he was down-talking. Claiming advantages of his machine that just weren't backed up by the research I did. By every metric I could consider, the two machines I narrowed it down to would have performed identically for us.

The sales speak put my back up right from the start, the price just made the decision easier.

Is the salesman relaying the attitude of the company or just his way? Principle or just sales schmuck.

Is he correct in applying the label "lessor" to the other product? If not, don't deal with him and call the manager or just pass on it.

When I went to their showroom 3 weeks ago, the app engineer, vp for that store, 2 tech who I ran into on my break we’re great.

I question the service, and the quality of service after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knew you had three machines you wanted, but your first choice is being ruin by the sales experience for the brand? My primary job is in sales and you never trash talk your competition. One of the reps below, does it as often as the situation allows for.

This is first time I've ran in to this this and I'm honestly perplex as to what do do. When a rep says "So you are ordering a lesser machine" that rubs me the wrong way.

IME some sales "Peeps" that are rubbing you the wrong way probably rub a lot of other people the wrong way to.

If they are really that bad then they may not last that long / get let go.

Originally Posted by Thisguy65
Knew you had three machines you wanted, but your first choice is being ruin by the sales experience for the brand? My primary job is in sales and you never trash talk your competition. One of the reps below, does it as often as the situation allows, for.

My list as follows:

Doosan DNM4500s
Haas VF3ss
Hardinge V100

From the other thread.

I can't imagine anyone from Doosan saying "So... you are willing to buy the inferior machine..." stroking cat in Bond-like swivel chair.

Hardinge V1000 vs Haas VF3ss ?

I've had some sales people attempt to trash rivals / competition with quasi fictitious stories that really were 1/2 baked and almost reflect more directly the weaknesses of their own products ? [weird / twisted projective identification, accusing the "rival" of the exact deficiencies that their own machines suffer from ??? lol.].

I don't hold that against them as they didn't build or design nor operate the machines nor will they be offering tech support.

(shrugging shoulders). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

there was a rep who visited me for years, always looked down his nose at my purchasing choices. Thing is, he used to own a shop and went out of business making bad choices, and I knew it AND he knew I knew it. I would not buy anything from an ass like that. Young sales reps or guys who decide to go into sales should take note: do not walk into a shop and think you know more about that particular business than they do. Maybe you do, maybe you do not, but for sure, if you have an attitude like that guy did your sales will suffer. Some reps walk in and I smile, some reps walk in and I grimace. You can guess which ones I buy from.

"They have their strengths & weakness's, and our machines do as well.
It comes down to what you can afford, and if the machine is a good fit for your specific
application. Bottom line is, will the machine, any machine, make you money ?"

I had one of those assholes too. Back in '94 when leases weren't as common as they are today I was looking to buy a new truck and turn in my car for trade that was only 2 years old.
He actually had the audacity to say to me: "This is the problem with you kids, you don't know how to hold onto anything for very long", I was 25 at the time. I immediately stood up looked at his manager who was nearby and told him that his guy doesn't want to sell me a new truck, and I left. Never set foot in that place again.

I like a good salesman, one who makes you smile because you know you are being sold.

Bad salesmen, ehh. Thermite has a point that I would be concerned about the whole organization. But so many moving pieces in a company, I prefer to buy things that I am not worried about the service.

I am buying a product, and that is the most important thing, the salesman is mostly unimportant, mostly

I have been in situations like this multiple times and its beyond annoying. We actually cut ties with a tooling company .. no names but starts with a K. Due to the sales team being so cocky and disrespectful, although they probably thought he was being helpful constantly trashing the competition it does feel like an attack on us as not every tool we were using was from them.

At the same time when we bought our boring mill last year... another K company oddly enough. The sales team was awesome and the product is as well. That said 13 months in and service and support from the company has been a nightmare, we are lucky to get a tech in within 14 days and they don't generally speak a word of English

I had a sales puke that would tack on a couple grand for "after sale support" on machines. The parent company that has firm fixed pricing had no idea, or turned a blind eye. It really pissed me off that the _____ Factory Outlet in the Midwest would do that, so I got in the habit of calling the _FO on the west coast that I had done volume business with in the past. It turns out that there are some work arounds if the sales puke or ____ Factory Outlet really pisses you off, and it doesn't cost any more to ship it with a stop in the middle... of course you lose the imaginary "after sale support" from the idiotic sales puke that couldn't even turn on the machine.

I have been in situations like this multiple times and its beyond annoying. We actually cut ties with a tooling company .. no names but starts with a K. Due to the sales team being so cocky and disrespectful, although they probably thought he was being helpful constantly trashing the competition it does feel like an attack on us as not every tool we were using was from them.

At the same time when we bought our boring mill last year... another K company oddly enough. The sales team was awesome and the product is as well. That said 13 months in and service and support from the company has been a nightmare, we are lucky to get a tech in within 14 days and they don't generally speak a word of English

They only speak French ?

Sounds like Japanese to me.

That would be a nice "Problem" to have :D

"Ohhh no, not those super qualified and well trained Japanese technicians working on their home companies' Japanese equipment.".

"quel désastre !"

Not to minimize ryanbcnc's actual problems / hand wringing and nervousness / anxiousness to his actual situation.

Very few of the American / Japanese MTB contingent get direct "resolutions" from Japan.

Back