What's new
What's new

Samller Hydraulic Chuck for Large Machine

jephw

Aluminum
Good day everyone.
We have a Mori Sieki NL3000y with a 15" hydraulic chuck. When we have smaller stock to work with, we are fairly limited. We work with a lot of different sizes of material, so I would like to stay with hydraulic chucks.
I am thinking of getting a smaller chuck, so I can clamp materials in the range of 1" to 2" or so. Since the machine has a max bar dia of 82mm (3.22") how do I go about this? I have looked at a few different chucks and the thread for the draw tube won't work on the smaller chucks, since the draw tube is so large. So my question is, how do I proceed with this? I kinda hit a wall, since the smaller chucks have smaller ID's where the draw tube is supposed to screw in.
Any help would be appreciated.

You may have to space the small chuck outward a little, but surely there's a "large tube to small thread" adapter that could mate the current draw tube to the new chuck.

Have you done any mechanical drawing/CAD work? Get the numbers for the current draw tube thread, the mounting distance and actuation thread requirements for the small chuck, and get sketching.

It's common to make adapters to put any chuck on any machine. Adapter for the chuck and adapter for the drawtube. I have two older CNC lathes and they each have 4-5 different chucks, collet noses that fit them. All kinds of nicely machined adapters for the bits to work together.

You may have to space the small chuck outward a little, but surely there's a "large tube to small thread" adapter that could mate the current draw tube to the new chuck.

Have you done any mechanical drawing/CAD work? Get the numbers for the current draw tube thread, the mounting distance and actuation thread requirements for the small chuck, and get sketching.

Yes, I am familiar with CAD work. I was actually wondering if people just make their own adapters or if they are available to purchase.
Thanks for the reply.

It's common to make adapters to put any chuck on any machine. Adapter for the chuck and adapter for the drawtube. I have two older CNC lathes and they each have 4-5 different chucks, collet noses that fit them. All kinds of nicely machined adapters for the bits to work together.

Okay, I will look into that then. It shouldn't be that difficult to do I would say.
Thanks for your reply.

Use a good-quality HT steel for the adapter, at least in the high 30's Rockwell C range. No point in making it from soft material that will wear and risk the mating threads.

Back