What's new
What's new

Samsung machines opinions? Possibly purchasing a existing shop

zachrabbit15

Plastic
Hello, looking at branching out and starting my own shop. What has got me looking more at this is a deal for a local shop. I have never used Samsung machine. I am familiar with the Fanuc control from running Doosans and Yamahas. The machines they have are 2 MCV50 mills and 2 SL-2500BSY lathes. Does anyone have any info or issues I should look out for. I am familiar with the parts and quality they have been running. Thanks for any opinions.

Samsung lathes are really nice. At least the SL model we have (it's a beast) I can't speak for their non 2ax lathes. They used to make parts for the old Mori lathes and now they are making those same parts for their own machines.
No experience with Mori/Samsung mills.

I have (3) SL35 lathes, and (3) MCV-50 mills at our shop. I'll be nice about it, and just say that they make good parts I guess.

I would never buy a new Samsung machine. It's old tech for "today" money, and you'll be better served with a newer Japanese machine, or even a Doosan or similar, which is supported by a robust importer/corporate office & dealer network.

Best I can tell, Samsung/SMEC machines were imported by Dynamic International for a while, then dropped. We have issues getting parts when we need them. Supposedly there's a US-Based SMEC office in New Jersey now, though I've never tried to call them for help.

SMEC Machine Tools | Automation Solution | SMEC AMERICA

If you're planning on buying a business with these machines, just treat them as any other no-name asian vintage machine. Parts may be hard to come by. Service can probably be handled by anyone familiar with Fanuc controls.

From a business standpoint - Treat the machines like a black box, and just focus on the business valuation.

Sorry Hyundia not Yamaha.

The mills are 2012 and 2013 models and the lathes are 2013 and 2014 models. Looking at around $200k for all 4 machines and most of the inspection equipment.

The Samsung lathes are identical copies of earlier-generation Mori Seiki lathes of the '90's and 2000's. They are built solid, big heavy true-slant bed, box-way machines, with belt-driven spindles.

Machining and build quality are everything, and the Japanese are tough to beat there. So I wouldn't expect the Samsung lathes to be of the same build quality as the older Moris....

Not sure about the Samsung vertical mills...

Like said, consider them fairly standard run-of-the-mill Taiwanese cnc machines with standard Fanuc controls and drives.

You could probably get parts for the lathes at least from DMGMori. I would be setting down though when you hear the price....

(don't feel too bad, Mazak should be ashamed at some of the prices they charge for parts...they do have them though.)

ToolCat

I have a 2014 SL-35/1500 and am extremely happy with it. It is very rigid and tight. It is a bit slow compared to new machines, if I was running aluminum all the time I would not have chosen it. But for the oil related work we do where rigidity and power matter, it is excellent. Shorter, smaller etc stuff goes on my Puma 300LC.

No experience with the mills but everyone I have talked to that has or has used Samsungs have been impressed.

To update everyone,

SMEC AMERCICA (Samsung Machinetool Engineering Company) currently has about 1.5M in parts in the US and located in NJ. Our lathes are all Boxway and new LM guides are going to be coming into the US market very soon. SMEC has big plans to support our US customers which is why we are expecting to have about $3M of parts in the US next year and plans of expanding in size by end of 2022. Our company is growing and making sure we cater to everyone. We keep working on new technologies, at the same time making sure that we keep selling the rigid/heavy duty true slant beds that our customers are use to and keep making parts for a very long time consistently.

We have 2 Samsung mills and 7 lathes. I never want to see one again. The main issue we have is repeatability. If you shut the power off on 3 of these lathes, there is a very good chance your coordinates will be off when you restart. Sometimes as much a 4 inches. It can get ugly.

To update everyone,

SMEC AMERCICA (Samsung Machinetool Engineering Company) currently has about 1.5M in parts in the US and located in NJ. Our lathes are all Boxway and new LM guides are going to be coming into the US market very soon. SMEC has big plans to support our US customers which is why we are expecting to have about $3M of parts in the US next year and plans of expanding in size by end of 2022. Our company is growing and making sure we cater to everyone. We keep working on new technologies, at the same time making sure that we keep selling the rigid/heavy duty true slant beds that our customers are use to and keep making parts for a very long time consistently.

Save the pitch. I will stick with Mazak and Okuma...or, Haas, for that matter.

We have 2 Samsung mills and 7 lathes. I never want to see one again. The main issue we have is repeatability. If you shut the power off on 3 of these lathes, there is a very good chance your coordinates will be off when you restart. Sometimes as much a 4 inches. It can get ugly.

What
The
Fuck

If this is even close to true (and my scepticism levels are off the charts right now), then perhaps you should consider getting whatever is obviously broken on your machines fixed. No?

What
The
Fuck

If this is even close to true (and my scepticism levels are off the charts right now), then perhaps you should consider getting whatever is obviously broken on your machines fixed. No?

Zero chance that is something the machine is doing related to the tool builder, thats probably 100% something operator related or something is just messed up with fanuc drives or control, if thats a thing, then thats a control issue not related to samsung itself. We have the SMEC lathes, slow but reliable, Far better than our haas machines, parts have never been an issue (not that we needed too many). We turn alloy steel, stainless and inconel and its a beast for the price point. I would still take a doosan over it but they are very solid as far as "commodity" machines go.

Back