What's new
What's new

Samsung SL20E Lathe VS Haas ST20

Micmac1

Cast Iron
SO looking into replacing our old SL30 haas with something a little smaller. So far i have pricing from haas and samsung and they are basically the same price. Haas service haas always been good for us we have 2 VMC haas machine on top of our SL30. I have no idea how samsung is as far as reliability and service/parts. The samsung is much more rigid compared to the haas, and i like that it has box ways. Any input/experience would be helpful. Still waiting on doosan price on a lynx220lc but not sure if its in the budget.

We have a sl25 Samsung. Runs like a top and it's super rigid. I can't comment on a hass anything. But I feel you would be happy with it's performance. It's done well for us.

Samsung used to make all of the parts for Mori Seiki, now they make parts for their own machines.
I'd buy a Samsung over a Hass any day of the week.
We have a Samsung SL-35 and it's a beast.

Thanks for the input , I am definitely leaning towards the Samsung at this point. Pricing is basically same as the haas. We have a lynx200 that's been running for the better part of 2 decades for us but for the price difference the quality of the Samsung seems very similar to the Doosan. We do everything from Inconels & Nitronic 60 to cast iron & bronze so im really looking for a super rigid machine with power that's still in our price range. We have had good luck with our haas machines but they definitely seem to lack in the power area.

I thought the consensus was that Haas mills are OK but Haas turning was below average. I know shops and guys that know what they are doing and they love their samsungs, I'm looking at a Hwacheon Hi-tech 230 right now. Basically the same idea, 25 horse,lots of torque, big box ways, sub, y, bmt 65 holders. Hwacheon is the biggest machine tool company you've never heard of. Like a lot of the korean companies they make many things besides machine tools, but they often make machine tools for themselves so they can make other things. I believe they make components for several other bigger name machine tool companies.

Anyway Samsung is good to go from what I've seen, far and away better than Haas.

Thanks for the input , I am definitely leaning towards the Samsung at this point. Pricing is basically same as the haas. We have a lynx200 that's been running for the better part of 2 decades for us but for the price difference the quality of the Samsung seems very similar to the Doosan. We do everything from Inconels & Nitronic 60 to cast iron & bronze so im really looking for a super rigid machine with power that's still in our price range. We have had good luck with our haas machines but they definitely seem to lack in the power area.

How does a Doosan compare in price to the Samsung?
I've never heard a bad thing about Doosan machines to be honest. And I've never even seen one in person.

Get a quote on something Japanese.

That being said, between the two, if the Samsung is a servo-turret, I'd opt for that over a Haas hands down, especially for tough materials.

Out of the Korean builders Doosan is very likely the most recognized and supported, they seem to sell a lot more machines in North america than the other korean builders. I recently got pricing on the new lynx 2100 and Puma 2100, both very interesting. The Puma is boxway and more power than the lynx.

I tend to think the stories from certain korean builders claiming to have done this and that for all the big names, are mostly just that, stories.

How does a Doosan compare in price to the Samsung?
I've never heard a bad thing about Doosan machines to be honest. And I've never even seen one in person.

We have a Daewoo lynx from 2000 that still runs every day, which is believe is still almost identical to the Doosan, it as been a great machine over the years but my only complaint is parts availability, im waiting on a quote still for the lynx 200lc and the puma 2100 but im guessing they will come in 15-20k more than the price I got for the Samsung and spec wise the are VERY comparable.

The Japanese machines are a little out of my budget I think. 60k for a Samsung vs 80-95k for a lower end Japanese machine. Honestly for the type of work we do a Japanese machine would be a waste, we would never run it to its full capability.

Take a look at Takisawa too. The box way machine is awesome. Pricing is lower than I thought it would be. Samsung is solid, and priced well, also box ways.

What's standard on the Samsung for the price they show? is the tool setter, conveyor and such all extra? what's the final cost all in?

Also check warranty/training and such, some are 2yr, some 1yr, some may even still be only 6 months...

May be worth considering, even if no intent to sell, that a lot of these less known off brands, some korean ones, and taiwan for sure, lose a lot of their resale value rather quickly.

What's standard on the Samsung for the price they show? is the tool setter, conveyor and such all extra? what's the final cost all in?

Also check warranty/training and such, some are 2yr, some 1yr, some may even still be only 6 months...

May be worth considering, even if no intent to sell, that a lot of these less known off brands, some korean ones, and taiwan for sure, lose a lot of their resale value rather quickly.

Final cost installed should be just under 70k including install, conveyor, tool setter and about a dozen tool holders plus the tooling credit to Kennametal or sandvik. On the Samsung its not just the control that is fanuc but also all of the servos ect which are all covered under a 2year warranty by fanuc directly, the rest of the machine has a 1 year warranty, on top of that they may give us something for our old has sl30 in trade. so the price is appealing with all of that considered. I doubt our Doosan or Haas rep in the area would even take our SL30 in trade.

The Samsung im looking at does not have the servo turret, just hydraulic, but for our application it is all we need, Generally we do not optimize as everything we do is low volume jobs 1-5 parts max, most of which could fit in your hand in size, so I don't think the faster tool changes & extra rigidity from the servo turret would really be necessary for us

Out of the Korean builders Doosan is very likely the most recognized and supported, they seem to sell a lot more machines in North america than the other korean builders. I recently got pricing on the new lynx 2100 and Puma 2100, both very interesting. The Puma is boxway and more power than the lynx.

I tend to think the stories from certain korean builders claiming to have done this and that for all the big names, are mostly just that, stories.

I was surprised when I started researching Hwacheon, they make a shit ton of machines, but I was more surprised by all the other work they do. They build engines for GM, like 250K a year, they also build engines for kia/hyundia They are also one of the biggest manufacturers of curvic couplings for machine tools. I imagine those are in several brands of machine besides hwacheon. They also make chucks for more than their own machines. Typical very vertically integrated Korean manufacturer

I've heard various things about Samsung machine tools and who builds what...doesn't really matter, the machines are good iron according to people that own them, the usual comparison for both Samsung and Hwacheon is to Mori. Having never owned a Mori I can't say if that's valid but I think you will see more Samsung and Hwacheon machines being purchased.

So after going over everything again with the salemen here is were im at

Samsung SL20E
Hydraulic Turret
Box weighs
8500lb machine weight

Doosan Lynx 2100LB
Servo Turret
Liner Roller Ways
7500lb machine weight

Both have same fanuc controller, machine roughly the same max od & length, similar warranties & same price installed within a few k of each other. I personally thing the Samsung is coming out on top here as the more rigid machine within my budget. I could move up to a PUMA 2100 but that's another 15k just for boxways and slightly more power, which the Samsung rivals minus the servo turret, and the Samsung is actually 800lbs heavier.

The Samsung im looking at does not have the servo turret, just hydraulic, but for our application it is all we need, Generally we do not optimize as everything we do is low volume jobs 1-5 parts max, most of which could fit in your hand in size, so I don't think the faster tool changes & extra rigidity from the servo turret would really be necessary for us
Whatever machine you buy, get one with a tool probe. HUGE time saver--especially when you are always setting up the machine.

So after going over everything again with the salemen here is were im at

Samsung SL20E
Hydraulic Turret
Box weighs
8500lb machine weight

Doosan Lynx 2100LB
Servo Turret
Liner Roller Ways
7500lb machine weight

Both have same fanuc controller, machine roughly the same max od & length, similar warranties & same price installed within a few k of each other. I personally thing the Samsung is coming out on top here as the more rigid machine within my budget. I could move up to a PUMA 2100 but that's another 15k just for boxways and slightly more power, which the Samsung rivals minus the servo turret, and the Samsung is actually 800lbs heavier.

If the SL20 is built anything like the SL35 we have, you'll be happy with it.
They remind me of the Mori Seiki lathes back in the late 80's early 90's....built to run.
But I hate Fanuc controls, so personally I would buy an Okuma :D

You cannot hear the tone of my words just reading them off a screen, but if you had a phone in your hands, I would SCREAM as loudly as I could into it - DO NOT BUY THAT MACHINE!

If we're talking about the 10-station, off-center design, lift-type 2-pc. curvic-coupled hydraulic turrets - they have so many design flaws in them carried over from the past, it's not funny. Like, really, really painfully makes a grown man want to cry tears of frustration, not funny...

I've written a lot about my frustrations with these machines in the past on here.

If you want to talk to me about this, please send me a private message and I'll talk with you about this over the phone if you'd like. But please, for the love of your hard earned money - please, don't buy that machine...

Back