What's new
What's new

Sandvik CoroChuck 930 vs Schunk TENDO E compact

josephk

Aluminum
Has anyone ran a comparison between the Schunk and the Sandvik hydraulic holders?

Schunk has a good deal going on now, buy 4 get one free but i can get the sandvik for cheaper with a tooling certificate.

Schunk only offers the Tendo E compact in the big-plus interface.

This is the info i got.
Both have 2 hydraulic bands that are clamping,
Sandvik has a option for a anti pullout sleeve which should make it pullout resistant similar to sidelock,

Schunk claims "up to" 900 Nm clamping for the 3/4" holder while the Sandvik is rated at "Min" 370 Nm for the 20mm holder,
Schunk tightens to a hard stop while the sandvik requires a torque wrench,
The short schunk is 2.5" gage length the short sandvik is 3.2" gage length,
Nose diameter 1.5" for the schunk 2.165" for the sandvik,

It seems like the schunk is superior in every aspect besides the pullout protection? what about real world tests?
Thank you

Has anyone ran a comparison between the Schunk and the Sandvik hydraulic holders?

Schunk has a good deal going on now, buy 4 get one free but i can get the sandvik for cheaper with a tooling certificate.

This is the info i got.
Sandvik has a option for a anti pullout sleeve which should make it pullout resistant similar to sidelock,

Schunk claims "up to" 900 Nm clamping for the 3/4" holder while the Sandvik is rated at "Min" 370 Nm for the 20mm holder,

It seems like the schunk is superior in every aspect besides the pullout protection? what about real world tests?
Thank you

I am using both at the moment in 5 axis applications. I like them both. I like the the shorter gauge length of the Schunk a little more though. All of my Schunks are non-Big Plus though. When I got them, they did not do Big Plus. The Big Plus interface is by far the better choice. I use the 930's more because I have way more of them. Never pulled out and I have taken some extreme cuts with them. Also never used a torque wrench with them. Tighten to the stop and back off a quarter turn. Even the Schunk and Erickson tighten to a stop. I my opinion, and that is only MY opinion, my Sandviks are superior. In choice and application.

Edit: Schunk does have one style of holder nobody I know of has. Called the Tendo "Zero". It has 4 screws on the side to dial in concentricity. For those times when you really ned "Zero" runout.

Paul

Last edited:

This is the info i got.

Thank you

I have both, and both are excellent quality holders. I think you're getting a bit tied up with numbers, in practice they both perform great. The 930 is probably more tolerant of hard and heavy cutting, but at the fine, low runout, high precision end of the scale they are equally good.

As Paul said above, Sandvik like to mark torque values on everything they make to stop people being heavy handed I guess. In practice the 930 has a stop just like the Schunk. I don't use a torque wrench on mine.

If you plan to be doing a lot of heavy milling and can work around the slightly reduced accessability, then the 930 is probably the best choice. If you really need the small nose and short guage length then go for the tendo. Otherwise, just choose whichever one makes the most sense economically.

I am using both at the moment in 5 axis applications. I like them both. I like the the shorter gauge length of the Schunk a little more though. All of my Schunks are non-Big Plus though. When I got them, they did not do Big Plus. The Big Plus interface is by far the better choice. I use the 930's more because I have way more of them. Never pulled out and I have taken some extreme cuts with them. Also never used a torque wrench with them. Tighten to the stop and back off a quarter turn. Even the Schunk and Erickson tighten to a stop. I my opinion, and that is only MY opinion, my Sandviks are superior. In choice and application.

Edit: Schunk does have one style of holder nobody I know of has. Called the Tendo "Zero". It has 4 screws on the side to dial in concentricity. For those times when you really ned "Zero" runout.

Paul

I think the 930 was really designed around the capto backend, and the steep taper versions were a bit of an afterthought, hence why the gauge length is a bit longer than others.

I was certain that Gewefa made a runout adjustable hydraulic too, maybe even before Schunk did it, but I can't find it in their product listing now, so I don't know if they stopped making it for some reason, or if it never existed at all. Maybe the one I (thought) I saw was a special...

What I did find in the Gewefa catalogue that I've not seen before is a hybrid hydraulic/sidelock holder, that is very cool. It has a sidelock clamp in the usual place, but has two separate expansion sleeves either side of it.

Just got in,
2f727f2a2f7ee092e007f823770581a0.jpg

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Back