What's new
What's new

Sandvik PrimeTurning

ChipSplitter

Titanium
Is Sandvik's PrimeTurning as good as it's cracked up to be? I have seen videos with it running at .1" DOC and .02 IPR. How does it compare to CNMG 4xxx or WNMG?

Is Sandvik's PrimeTurning as good as it's cracked up to be? I have seen videos with it running at .1" DOC and .02 IPR. How does it compare to CNMG 4xxx or WNMG?
It's very good. But very expensive with software and tooling. But for production it's great.

Not for me thoug I love my cnmg's to much

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk

Iv'e been watching these, they would be good for shaft work if they would fit for the journal relief but thats about it, I wouldnt cut away from the chuck for a few reasons.
1 most tool turrets are made to take the force towards the spindle.
2 you have the risk for pulling the part out of the jaws even a tad bit cutting away from the chuck.
no way better than a cnmg or wnmg better meaning stronger.

I been using mainly sandvik for 30+ years in lathes, I always seem to go back to cnmgs and wnmgs for heavy stuff andeven ccmt's

Iv'e been watching these, they would be good for shaft work if they would fit for the journal relief but thats about it, I wouldnt cut away from the chuck for a few reasons.
1 most tool turrets are made to take the force towards the spindle.
2 you have the risk for pulling the part out of the jaws even a tad bit cutting away from the chuck.
no way better than a cnmg or wnmg better meaning stronger.

I been using mainly sandvik for 30+ years in lathes, I always seem to go back to cnmgs and wnmgs for heavy stuff andeven ccmt's

No comment about prime turning since I don't know it, but have you tried the LNMX inserts and holders for heavy turning? They will move some material!

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...RVHBNEWDaYquT9SMGKHPbbb-imy-ruxUaAvjJEALw_wcB

No comment about prime turning since I don't know it, but have you tried the LNMX inserts and holders for heavy turning? They will move some material!

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...RVHBNEWDaYquT9SMGKHPbbb-imy-ruxUaAvjJEALw_wcB

I played with LNMX for a little while, they were great for shifting material, but predicting insert failure was difficult, and losing an edge took out the holder every time before the operator had time to react.

I went back to CNMG.

Yes, I have a 22mm LNMX for my 15 HP Fryer.Yes, I know, everyone's like :crazy: I got the wrong size.....
I was told by an ex-Iscar rep that he has run it at .625" DOC and .050 IPR. Chips looked like Fritos....

I played with LNMX for a little while, they were great for shifting material, but predicting insert failure was difficult, and losing an edge took out the holder every time before the operator had time to react.

I went back to CNMG.

I'm surprised to hear that. We used an OD tool and a boring bar with those inserts and we didn't have any problems dialing in the insert changes. We were cutting 4140ph and insert life was pretty much like clockwork.

I'm surprised to hear that. We used an OD tool and a boring bar with those inserts and we didn't have any problems dialing in the insert changes. We were cutting 4140ph and insert life was pretty much like clockwork.

Same here; the only time I've lost an insert was if a part decided to start slipping. I face grade 8 bolts with this sucker like nobody's business.:D

We were cutting 36CrNiMo4 quenched and tempered which is more or less 4340V. We were running pretty wide open, because the LNMX wouldn't break a chip in that material unless the feedrate was right at the very limit of what the insert could handle, that's why failures were sudden and dramatic. It was a good few years ago, but IIRC we were at 1mm/r which is bordering on high feed turning. CNMG gave me double the DOC at half the feedrate, so cycle times were similar, and it was just way more reliable.

We were cutting 36CrNiMo4 quenched and tempered which is more or less 4340V. We were running pretty wide open, because the LNMX wouldn't break a chip in that material unless the feedrate was right at the very limit of what the insert could handle, that's why failures were sudden and dramatic. It was a good few years ago, but IIRC we were at 1mm/r which is bordering on high feed turning. CNMG gave me double the DOC at half the feedrate, so cycle times were similar, and it was just way more reliable.

What size insert?

Back