What's new
What's new

Santa's coming to town..New machine day Brother Speedio S500X1....rigging questions

Wsurfer

Cast Iron
Hello All,
I'm finally getting my 1st "real" machine delivered. Quote from the rigging company is $1800 to get it off the truck and 50' into the shop. I have a forklift rated @ 5700lb and the machine is ~5000lb. The heaviest thing I've used it on is around 2000lb. I also have the slide-on extendable fork legs for extra reach. I don't want to push my luck on a brand new machine if this is remotely risky, I just haven't done anything that heavy. If I use the rigging company is it customary to get a copy of their insurance policy etc.? Am I being paranoid ?. I'm a noob at rigging, so any advice appreciated.

the riggers should place the machine where you want it. Even if they just put it inside the door, you just need to lift a few inches (i'm assuming you don't need to lift it about anything) so I wouldn't worry about it

For $1500, they should uncrate it, move into position and place it on the pads. They will have insurance in case they drop it and you get a new machine. If you do it and drop it, you get to argue with your insurance company who may ask you if you have the right training before agreeing to pay. Also, the crated weight is much heavier than the machine weight. It comes in a steel crate.

I have seen and had to have a rigger replace a machine for one of my customers after the machine slid off the fork and dropped on one edge 6 inches. I also know of a death because a machine slowly slid off the forks and crushed the helper against a block wall. We move machines in and out of our shop all the time and I have riggers do that for us.

Andy

Forklift capacity is rated close to the boom, the farther out you go the less it will lift, the rear of the forklift will lift without "ballast". Because of this you want a forklift that will lift double the machine weight to get it off the truck, bigger is way better here. I too have seen some scarry moments getting a VMC off the truck, I WAS NOT involved in the decision making. Yeah, $1800 is a lot for an hours work at your shop but it can also be cheap if YOU screw up doing it yourself. A VMC on the forks is pretty slipery.

PS- Congratulations!!!!!

5700lb capacity forklift and 5000lb machine is beyond capacity.

Sorry was the sarcasm not strong enough?

At the minimum if I was in a position that I had to do that job I would rent a lift for the day. Last time I rented a lift I got a 10k Toyota delivered to me and picked up for $427 for the day from United Rentals.

FYI- you can move a Speedio with a pallet jack. My riggers were a bit keefuffled getting mine around a corner, so they grabbed the shop pallet jack (hey- their liability!) and it worked perfectly.

I think you should go for it. If the machine happens to plummet to the earth, you can recoup your investment and possibly some profit when the video goes viral on youtube :)

Last rigging job I had done on a similar size machine was $675, but that vendor always is 1/2 what the other company quotes... and they always show up on time, go above and beyond, and are super friendly... call around, especially since it is an easy job.

Use a rigger.......................

Is that the only rigging company you received numbers from? They can be all over the map depending on their work load and/or their equipment. I had a mill moved in 6 weeks ago and I had numbers from $2K-$5k.

Congrats on the new machine, I just ordered my S500X1 too!

I got quotes from two local riggers and asked around as to who to use. I'm glad I asked around, one shop is well known, one shop is known as going downhill, and one shop is known to be a very expensive Union shop that specializes in complex rigging.

I was quoted minimum charges by two companies, both with a 4 hour minimum, about $1350 for the rigging and another $150 any time they have to move the machine in their yard (delivery from incoming truck). Their clock starts from when their guys leave the yard and ends when they get back to the yard. I had a good discussion with the Lead who came to my house to discuss the move, and he even was very helpful in working with me to figure out how I could move it myself. We both agreed for the marginal price difference for them to do it, that they would do it, no brainer. $1500 to have 4 dudes that do this every day, with insurance and the right equipment, is worth it. If you pay $500 to rent a forklift, you're likely to stress yourself half to death, might not have enough manpower, might miss something and not be able to get the machine through the door or over the ground you planned on...

My rigger had no problem for their quoted price, bringing a lighter forklift and paneling to lay on the ground to bring the machine in through the driveway with the least chance of hurting the driveway with the ~14,000 front-heavy load going over it.

For $1500, they should uncrate it, move into position and place it on the pads. They will have insurance in case they drop it and you get a new machine. If you do it and drop it, you get to argue with your insurance company who may ask you if you have the right training before agreeing to pay. Also, the crated weight is much heavier than the machine weight. It comes in a steel crate.

I have seen and had to have a rigger replace a machine for one of my customers after the machine slid off the fork and dropped on one edge 6 inches. I also know of a death because a machine slowly slid off the forks and crushed the helper against a block wall. We move machines in and out of our shop all the time and I have riggers do that for us.

Andy

Thanks, That's the info. I was looking for. Riggers it is...

Congrats. :) You are going to love it. Your perception of what is fast might change in a few days. :)
If you have any questions, post up. Several of us here have joined "the BrotherHood." haha.....

Last edited:
I am not weighing in on hiring a rigger or not but one thing I found in moving mine with a pallet jack (manual one) is that it is hard to control the down speed. What I did was to use the pallet jack to lift and move the machine but use the jack screws and pads to take the weight of the machine off the pallet jack then lower from there and level.

I am not weighing in on hiring a rigger or not but one thing I found in moving mine with a pallet jack (manual one) is that it is hard to control the down speed. What I did was to use the pallet jack to lift and move the machine but use the jack screws and pads to take the weight of the machine off the pallet jack then lower from there and level.

Yeah...they go down quite fast.............I moved my Haas mini mill a few times and you really had to pay close attention when squeezing the down lever on the pallet jack..................

Hello All,
I'm finally getting my 1st "real" machine delivered. Quote from the rigging company is $1800 to get it off the truck and 50' into the shop. I have a forklift rated @ 5700lb and the machine is ~5000lb. The heaviest thing I've used it on is around 2000lb. I also have the slide-on extendable fork legs for extra reach. I don't want to push my luck on a brand new machine if this is remotely risky, I just haven't done anything that heavy. If I use the rigging company is it customary to get a copy of their insurance policy etc.? Am I being paranoid ?. I'm a noob at rigging, so any advice appreciated.

Your first "real" machine is a brand new Brother? :eek:

:bowdown:

Your first "real" machine goes 50' back into the shop?
Once again - :bowdown:

I was in business for 8 years before I had a "50' or deeper" shop. :o
(But I wouldn't say that I didn't have "real" machines - ever)

Your truck just aint quite enough for that job, but I bet it's close as those are small machines?
If so - the load center shouldn't be too bad, but an 8 would offer much more security.

If you've never rigged before, a brand new, narrow base, top heavy mill setting 50" above grade is not a good place to start.

-----------------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

As others have said, letting someone else unload, move and place it is a great idea.
Moving it with a pallet jack down the road is easy-peasy. I bought a new Crown pallet jack about a year ago. It's very easy to control the "drop" velocity with the handle. I had someone tell me a few years ago that Crown were the best. This is the first one I've ever had that was easy to control. It makes a difference......

I would try it with your 5700lb machine. But, I'm a little :nutter:

I consider myself lucky. My rigger charged me $900 to receive my Brother at his warehouse, deliver, unload, un-crate, and set.
While he was here he moved a 40' high-cube connex 8ft sideways, cause he is cool like that.
I think you need to get a few more rigging quotes (if possible).

Back