What's new
What's new

Sauter Electric Tool Turret Question

alphonso

Titanium
Sauter 5.480.516. series turret on lathe with Fagor 8055t control.

Hung tool on door while indexing. Sent machine into EStop. Turret unlocked. Moved turret into position and eventually got it into position enough to make control happy.

Did a few manual changes with cover off. Noticed that a light on the encoder comes on only when tool 1 is active. Is this normal? Or should light come on in all positions?

DSCF0915.jpg
Red light next to screw head on back of encoder.

Yeah, that light is normal.

I had to change the encoder on my Gildemeister lathe about 6 months ago with what looks like the exact same as yours. One service tech was nice enough to tell me the procedure for swapping it out since all the techs were busy for the next week and I needed the lathe running asap. Under that large screw was a button that you had to press and hold with the turret at tool 1 in order to reference it. After that, every time the turret landed at tool 1 the light would come on. PITA to change the encoder though.

BTW, what kind of lathe do you have?

Lathe is L&W Machine Tools Cyclone FB-3080T8. A 30 X 80 flatbed, 6 inch hollow spindle, front and rear chucks, with the Sauter 8 station VDI turret. Cheap Taiwanese machine. Very flexible bed. I'm guessing that L&W is a holding company that contracts out the building of machines when they make a sale. No response to emails.

There doesn't appear to be any representation in North America. Manual has hand written in it "Green Valley Machine Products" in London, Ontario. 519-452 1853.
Tried calling the number shortly after I got the machine. Nothing but a busy signal for several weeks. I gave up trying to contact them.

Back