What's new
What's new

Hardinge ASM-5C worth looking at?

PhilDWebb

Plastic
Looking at this older turret lathe. Let me start out, I know nothing about lathes, but have a need to produce items that this lathe could make, and don’t want to spend too much on a more current cnc lathe.
I’ve seen pics but not sure I can post them here at this point but looks like there is a panel for relays to be plugged in but it looks as if there are only a few relays plugged in. If able to share pics after posting I will.
Is it possible to purchase the hardware to hold the tool bits?
I think I could eventually learn how to set it up but not sure if I can easily order the parts.
Thanks for any help.

I would strongly advise against this. Tooling is still available on the used market, but there's basically zero support (and close to zero community knowledge) and zero repair parts for the plugboard controller. Assume you would have to recondition (and likely rebuild) the controller before you can make any parts.

I have a non-automatic Hardinge DSM-59, and like it very much, but I would take a Brown&Sharpe screw machine controlled by cams long before I would take a Hardinge ASM.

Agree with sfrieberg, unless you were a master of these things back in the day you will have zero chance of getting it running as an ASM. That said it could make a pretty decent base for an Omniturn conversion. I had posted earlier that Omniturn was no longer selling conversions, I was wrong they still have parts for building the smaller kits. If you want to explore this possibility check with Omniturn to be double sure. The key to possibly making this work would be getting the ASM for next to nothing, maybe talking them in to paying you to haul it off. I have had a purchased new converted AHC for 25 years and it is still ticking. The iron under the Omniturn is wonder full. The Omniturn technology is getting a little dated but costs next to nothing to run for the right class of job, it is still a money maker.

Last edited:
I would strongly advise against this. Tooling is still available on the used market, but there's basically zero support (and close to zero community knowledge) and zero repair parts for the plugboard controller. Assume you would have to recondition (and likely rebuild) the controller before you can make any parts.

I have a non-automatic Hardinge DSM-59, and like it very much, but I would take a Brown&Sharpe screw machine controlled by cams long before I would take a Hardinge ASM.
Thanks for the advice.

Agree with sfrieberg, unless you were a master of these things back in the day you will have zero chance of getting it running as an ASM. That said it could make a pretty decent base for an Omniturn conversion. I had posted earlier that Omniturn was no longer selling conversions, I was wrong they still have parts for building the smaller kits. If you want to explore this possibility check with Omniturn to be double sure. The key to possibly making this work would be getting the ASM for next to nothing, maybe talking them in to paying you to haul it off. I have had a purchased new converted AHC for 25 years and it is still ticking. The iron under the Omniturn is wonder full. The Omniturn technology is getting a little dated but costs next to nothing to run for the right class of job, is is still a money maker.

Thanks for the advice also.

Back