Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cinematechnic View Post
    Would post #45 count as the "Fadal manifesto" or is the more to it? I'm in the early stages of research on a small CNC mill for prototyping work.

All the parts I make are optics related so precision is important. Everything is aluminum except for tools and some lens mounts made from 303 stainless. The threads I tap most often are #0-80, 1-72, 2-56, M1.7, M2.0 I use only form taps for that (not on the stainless parts).

Being able to accurately drill circular hole patterns very accurately without using a 4th axis seems attractive. BUT I'd go with a rotary 4th axis if it meant the patterns would be more accurate. Not much play on an 8-hole M2 pattern.

BTW, not to hijack too much, but if I go CNC I'd need a lathe as well, and that machine would do a lot of the work since optics involves lots of cylindrical parts. So if there are advantages in terms of pairing certain CNC mills with some CNC lathes I'd be interested to know about that.

Thanks!
    Why don't you post a thread starter for that ?

A lot of peeps here that can put you on some sort of path that makes sense or is real.

Also budget … huge consideration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree. I need a QT15/20 I think.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was very surprised and pleased, to find out my 1996 Bridgeport TC 22 could be wired to run on single phase. The tool changer, lighting, computer and coolant all run on single phase on this machine. All it took was switching one wire at the internal spindle VFD.

I picked mine up for 6,000.00 and spent about 10 hours cleaning and fixing little things.

4. Likes Vancbiker liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    Why don't you post a thread starter for that ?

A lot of peeps here that can put you on some sort of path that makes sense or is real.

Also budget … huge consideration.
    Just trying to get as informed as I can prior to doing that. Don't want to get the dreaded "do a search before posting a new thread" smackdown.

If anyone can post a link to this "Fadal Manifesto", I'd be interested to see it.

Now that I think about it... Perhaps it would make sense to have a section of the website for "Machine Manifestos" where a person that owns and likes a machine can post the case for it, and the machine's downside.

Only trouble is that it might upset some advertisers. Maybe limit it to discontinued machines?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cinematechnic View Post
    Would post #45 count as the "Fadal manifesto" or is the more to it? I'm in the early stages of research on a small CNC mill for prototyping work.

All the parts I make are optics related so precision is important. Everything is aluminum except for tools and some lens mounts made from 303 stainless. The threads I tap most often are #0-80, 1-72, 2-56, M1.7, M2.0 I use only form taps for that (not on the stainless parts).

Being able to accurately drill circular hole patterns very accurately without using a 4th axis seems attractive. BUT I'd go with a rotary 4th axis if it meant the patterns would be more accurate. Not much play on an 8-hole M2 pattern.

BTW, not to hijack too much, but if I go CNC I'd need a lathe as well, and that machine would do a lot of the work since optics involves lots of cylindrical parts. So if there are advantages in terms of pairing certain CNC mills with some CNC lathes I'd be interested to know about that.

Thanks!
    Fadal Manifesto not literal but most fan boys of certain machines make what's what about a machine pretty clear. Good thing about PM forum no shortage of strong well thought out/ experienced opinions. Google BobW and FADAL and Practical machinist forum and that should keep you busy for a few days.

These days modern mills generally position circular hole patterns, drilled / bored holes as well as any rotary tilted over onto it's back. (assuming I catch your drift ?).

You are interested in "Matching" cnc Mill and cnc lathe , prototype decent precisions and accuracies of the order of +/- 0.0002" to +/- 0.0001" …

Kinda depends what deeper level engineering you may be doing or not doing.

So maybe check out

Fryer Machine Systems Inc. - CNC toolroom lathes milling machines machining centers

and

Fryer Machine Systems Inc. - CNC toolroom lathes milling machines machining centers

There's one smaller company that uses their* equipment that supplies to JPL, optical assemblies, but bear in mind that in a lot of cases 'CNC" is just one link in the chain of a set of other processes that might get you to higher tolerance optical mechatronics etc.

It doesn't sound like your tolerances will be a problem but I think maybe you have underestimated what CNC machines can do these days but on the other hand there are a few "gotchas" with advanced optics/ optical assemblies.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Some knowledge of budget is mission critical.

* No affiliation.