Seeking Advice Megamill VMC 2040
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seeking Advice Megamill VMC 2040

to make a short story we are a general shop doing repair job and doing some low qty produstion in house. we are currently looking around for a use vmc. this would be ours first vmc so we dont know what to look at when we see a machine and what is going/bad and what to avoid. so we saw a nice megamill vmc 2040 2005 to sell it look pretty descend but i have a few question if you guys can give us more info since i cant find any on the web. Here is the small info i got from this machine. 40x20x20 travel, 1000IPM rapid 200 IPM while machining, 12k rpm, cat40, 24 tool changer side mount.

1. Have any of you ever heard of "Megamill" brand all i know is that its from taiwan.
    2. it come with a Mitsubishi M64 control is that a good one. and what is the difference between all of them?
    3. What can we expect form a machine like this? seems to me to the first sight they seem similar to Haas and we should expect the same result from it am i wrong ?
    4. When you take a look at use machine is there a way to see if they have any wear issue or something like this?

thanks for you help thats all the question i got for now. waiting to see if you guys can help me out on this one
    here is a link to a similar machine if you want to take a look. Used MEGAMILL VMC 2040. Vertical Machining Centre, w/ Mitsubishi Control - - Exapro
    Sébas

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well after 100 view and no answer i guess most of you are just like me and never heard about this brand of mill. but i would like to know more about control is this M64 control a good one . whats should i look for control wise on a used cnc and what is the difference between lets say a mitsu like this one and a fanuc and other brand ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

100 views and nobody has heard of it... I'd be scared. Then again it might be a rebranded Hurco or something, which would be fine,
    but you have to know what it is.

If nobody has even heard of it, what is going to happen when you actually have a problem? The Mits controller is a plus, they still
    support (as best they can) the old old Mazak controllers.. but who knows how they integrated the control to the machine.

How much are they asking for it, and why are they getting rid of it?

200ipm cutting, thats pretty weak, even for a low end 20+ year old machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that is what i was thinking.

lets say im taking a look at a takumi seiki. do they put seiki in their name to look like they have the fame of mori seiki or is it a cheaper version of the mori ? im kinda lost saw a couple of brand name with seiki in them (tamuri, akira, etc.) so i was wondering. also the tamuri is bigger with a better drive (20 hp instead of a 10-15hp one) faster rapid (275 still not huge but its way enought for us for now) but might have a bit more machining time on the machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

kinda sounds like you need help from a TRUSTED friend.
    Be very careful,get somebody you know and trust to help you look.
    Gw

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Krovvax View Post
    lets say im taking a look at a takumi seiki. do they put seiki in their name to look like they have the fame of mori seiki or is it a cheaper version of the mori ? im kinda lost saw a couple of brand name with seiki in them (tamuri, akira, etc.) so i was wondering.
    Seiki roughly translated from japanese means Precision.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm impressed by the clean control station; none of the buttons have all the paint worn off. I've seen the name before but can't remember where it was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Mitsubishi control it powerful, but extremely expensive to repair when they go down. I think I would look at a different machine.

I ran Mazaks for about 10 years and Mazatrol uses Mitsubishi electronics, and there aren't that many places that know how to work on them. The company I worked for had to send the circuit boards to someplace in Chicago. The shop I worked in was in Santa Ana, CA. It took about 2 weeks to get a board repaired and that was if the company sent the board by overnight delivery.

What kind of work are you going to do on your machine? What material are you going to cut?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A buddy has a robodrill clone with a Mitsubishi control in it that has been down for something like five or six years now (backup battery died, lost the parameters, reloaded them, and it still ain't working right) mostly because the support on the 15 year old (by now) control is almost non-existent. Mitsubishi makes some great cutting tools but I would not touch a machine with an old Mitsubishi control unless you have a service guy who is GOOD with them on call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks guys for the info on the control. Just to answer you Mid we are a repair shop inside a welding shop that do alot of food grade equipment so we do alot of SS304 SS316 alot of 4140HT 4340HT 1018 1144... we also do alot of Delrin, Peek, Alum so we need a machine that handle alot of different material. We are currently looking with the shop owner to see if its relay worth it to go with a used cnc and have hard time with it or simply go new and avoid problem... if we ever go new its going to be something between a Hyundai F400 or F500 since its with those machine that we got the best service and they fit perfectly in what we are looking for.