What's new
What's new

Seperate Input and Output channels for Fanuc, possible?

semih

Plastic
Hi friends,

I want Fanuc controller to read part program from PCMCIA card while operating and send some data with DPRNT command to RS-232 port at the same time. Is there a way to set Input channel (PCMCIA Card) and Output channel (RS-232) seperately with parameters?

I've misplaced my telepathic mind reading hat so you'll have to post what control you are trying to do this with. It does not cost you extra to post all the information needed to get an answer.

I'm working on all kinds of Fanuc controllers. At the moment I've 18i-MB and 21i. I'm trying to develop a new application, this app should work with all Fanuc controllers so I didn't ask my question specific to a Fanuc type.

I am pretty sure it is not possible to specify different I/O channels separately on the 16i, 18i, 21i series controls. I/O channel 2 is an option on that series control and switching between channels requires setting 20 be changed.

It was possible on 10,11,12 and 15 controls. Those did not have card readers though.

Since much of the 0i control has similarities to the 18i and 21i I'd be surprised if that ability existed there either.

Thanks Vancbiker.

As I see, there's no way to separate in and out channels to get and send data simultaneously. In my test, I can read program from PCMCIA card with I/O channel setting = 4 and I've added two lines (G10 L50 N0020 R0) in to program. So I can switch I/O channel and send data to RS-232 Port with DPRNT command but at the end when I try to close RS-232 channel with PCLOS command, a "Executing and mode changing" warning appears, machine waits and I/O channel stucks to 0 (RS-232). Then I've to restart machine. So I needed to separate in and out channels.

So now, I need to solve this warning, stuck to channel 0 and wait problem.

Is there a way to set Input channel (PCMCIA Card) and Output channel (RS-232) seperately with parameters?

We had a power surge a while back that nuked channel 1 on our 18i and I was trying to use channel 2 for i/o (and thanks again, Van!) and came across a short text about i/o channels. The person writing the text said that parameter 110, bit 0 controls which channels are for input and output. If parameter 110, bit 0 is '0' then parameter 20 sets the device for input and output. If bit 0 is set to '1' then parameter 20 controls input and parameter 21 controls output.

I have no idea if this will work for you or not, but maybe worth a try?

.....The person writing the text said that parameter 110, bit 0 controls which channels are for input and output. If parameter 110, bit 0 is '0' then parameter 20 sets the device for input and output. If bit 0 is set to '1' then parameter 20 controls input and parameter 21 controls output.

I have no idea if this will work for you or not, but maybe worth a try?

I remember you mentioned this when we were trying to figure out how to get port 2 working for you. Neither my 16/18C or 16i/18iA parameter manuals covers parameter 110 or 21 at all so I can't verify this and therefore was hesitant to bring it up.

This is not terribly uncommon for Fanuc to have so some undocumented parameters for features that are in kind of a "beta test" condition.

As long as one has a complete and current backup of the machine data and knows how to restore it, there is not much risk in trying this parameter to see what happens.

I remember you mentioned this when we were trying to figure out how to get port 2 working for you. Neither my 16/18C or 16i/18iA parameter manuals covers parameter 110 or 21 at all so I can't verify this and therefore was hesitant to bring it up.

This is not terribly uncommon for Fanuc to have so some undocumented parameters for features that are in kind of a "beta test" condition.

As long as one has a complete and current backup of the machine data and knows how to restore it, there is not much risk in trying this parameter to see what happens.
Hello Kevin,
Parameter 110 is as aj states. Separate control of I/O channel numbers is performed if bit zero is set to "1". With this setting, I/O channels are separately controlled by setting the Input and Output device in the Foreground and Background with parameters 0020 to 0023 respectively.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill for the verification!

Do you know if this is supported in all 16/18 and 16i/18i models (A,B,C) and firmware versions or are there early versions where it has not been implemented yet?

Thanks Bill for the verification!

Do you know if this is supported in all 16/18 and 16i/18i models (A,B,C) and firmware versions or are there early versions where it has not been implemented yet?

Hello Kevin,
Only in the "i" version. It started in the 16i, as did many new functions such as calling a Local Subprogram via Sequence Number.

Regards,

Bill

I'll check these parameters on our CNCs and inform you. I'll try to read program from one channel and send data to other channel with this setting.

I changed parameters as follows on 18i-MB;
P100 #0 -> 1
P20 -> 4 (Foreground Input -> Card)
P21 -> 0 (Foreground Output -> RS-232)
P22 -> 4 (Background Input -> Card)
P23 -> 4 (Background Output -> Card)

I run part program which includes POPEN - DPRNT[START] - PCLOS (3 lines) commands, got "START" from RS-232 and "5010 END OF RECORD" error appeared ont Fanuc screen. And the machine did nothing after read these lines at the beginning of part program. Any idea?

Back