What's new
What's new

Servo II Software

MotoDan

Plastic
I've got a Servo 5000 CNC bed mill that is currently running the DOS version control. Wondering if anyone has the Windows version on their Servo mill. Getting tired of paying the "sneaker net" floppy disk shuffle between a real computer and the mill. I've considered trying to force DOS to recognize USB or Ethernet. I've also considered trying to make the mill run under a Windows XP DOS shell. I know, I know - this is not recommended because of the non-real time capability of Windows, but it might be interesting to try.

Would like to hear from any other Servo owners to see how you are dealing with floppy-only file transfers or if you are using the Windows version of the control software.

Hey Dan,
We have the same mill.
I didn't know they even had a windows version, never needed it.
We have used Zip drives to do backups and large file transfers.
Could you possibly do a serial connection PC to PC?
As far as the USB, I think you could maybe do a windows 98 sp2 boot
If you can find the drivers, does your servo PC have USB?
Good luck!
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. Servo did offer a Windows version of the control, but I've never talked to anyone who uses it. I have thought about doing a serial link to my main PC. Might not be a bad way to go if all else fails. The motherboard in my mill's control does have a USB header that should allow me to connect a cable to two USB jacks. I'm pretty sure DOS won't know what to do with the USB ports without a special driver which is probably available. Need to do a little more research on this.

How did you connect up your Zip drive to your control?

Thanks,
Dan

I just used a parallel port model.
You might be able to find some on ebay.
I have the 100MB model and I think they made a 250MB version too.

Thanks for the info Jeff.

I'm still interested in hearing from and other Servo mill owners on the forum. Anyone running Windows on their machine?

During years I installed here over 100 SERVOII systems, some 50 of them still in use. Although many times being forced by customers (because of the difficulty finding DOS running PCs) to upgrade (?) to XP version, I was quite reluctant to do that. Too many conditions, and supplier not being able to give guarantee that the
software will run on locally supplied computer, even if exactly fulfilled the specifications.
The USB problem was solved by running win98, capable to deal with it. The SERVO software was executed in DOS shell.
SERVOII is great system, and I am quite frequently asked to supply additional systems.

hello i have servo systems II on my acer ultima 3axis machine. came with the quick n easy software but no dongle! or controller....
i have my buddy building me a dos machine so i can load the sofware on put it this way its a pain in the ASS!
i went another way i bought 32 bit windows xp I might buy the xp software but its 1990.00 dollars yup its $$$
my question is this is there any way i can transfer nc code to the machine useing my lap top with mastercam x4
any help would be great this is my first cnc im only 28 just dont know anybody to ask! lil desperate!:crazy:

We have a Servo 5000 that was upgraded to the Windows computer in 2010 by the previous owner who then couldn't get it to run at all. We bought it in 2017 knowing that the CNC might be dead. When we plugged all the cables back in after the move it ran perfectly! 100 hours on the machine, a 12" 4th axis with a 10" six jaw chuck that had never been connected to the machine and 23 Nikken Tool Holders, 7 with Jacobs super chucks, for $6000.

We like the Windows computer simply because we run CamBam along side of it which lets us program parts in the office and edit them right on the machine. For $150 CamBam does a really good job for us.

The Windows version uses an RTU program from a 3rd party to get real time operation. The worse part about the whole thing is the tool length compensation. After a tool change the Z doesn't show where the end of the tool is, it shows where the reference plane is! I complained to ServoSource about it because it makes the tool length compensation virtually worthless.

Back