What's new
What's new

Setting tools Hyundai Hit 8S 840C

markp

Hot Rolled
Setting up a new to me Hit 8s. Machine wasnt used for a while but everything seems to be in good working order. Trying to set one turning tool to start with using the toolsetter. Following instructions in the manual and it seems to work (does enter data in the offsets) but the distance in X is off by 1.514" for the turning tool. Z offset is also way off but dont remember by how much. I tried to calibrate the probe as described in the manual by adding 1/2" of that to 1022 parameter but it doesnt change anything so I set it back to what it was originally. I do have the machine set to EDIT COMM, and pretty sure Im doing it correctly.

I also tried setting the tools using the tool offset calculator but that just generated different numbers.

Anyone know the trick to getting the offset correctly set?

Sounds like the parameters for the 4 positions on the tool eye are off, from memory parameter 1022 & around there sounds like the ones. There is an X- & X+ parameter & also Z- & Z+ parameter, depending on the sensor fitted they should be about 2"(50mm) apart. Have a search either on here or over at ******* in the hyundai forum as I'm sure this question has been answered before, I think I might have posted our procedure for doing it on a 15s/18s lathe with the 840c controller which is a similar but bigger lathe. I wish I could help more but down here I'm in Covid Lockdown for at least another week & all the manuals etc are at the shop

Setting up a new to me Hit 8s. Machine wasnt used for a while but everything seems to be in good working order. Trying to set one turning tool to start with using the toolsetter. Following instructions in the manual and it seems to work (does enter data in the offsets) but the distance in X is off by 1.514" for the turning tool. Z offset is also way off but dont remember by how much. I tried to calibrate the probe as described in the manual by adding 1/2" of that to 1022 parameter but it doesnt change anything so I set it back to what it was originally. I do have the machine set to EDIT COMM, and pretty sure Im doing it correctly.

I also tried setting the tools using the tool offset calculator but that just generated different numbers.

Anyone know the trick to getting the offset correctly set?

Here are the 1022 and onwards probe parameters. Two on top X and two on bottom Z. Around 2" apart. I also read something about having to set the offset manually by cutting and measuring a blank in X and Z for the "reference tool" used for setting WCS. On my DMC103V with 840D I can only use tool # 1 for a reference tool. Is that the same on the 840C?

Attachments

• parametersprobe.jpg
    parametersprobe.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 86
Atmosports, Heres the calibration info that you posted on the other site that matches what I have in my HIT manual. I just tried changing the X offset for the probe, when I do this, it does not change the probe offset at all. If there some parameter that can lock/unlock changes to these settings?

Looking at it further this am, I see that Im also locked out of making any changes to the WCS TOA settings. I can make changes that show up in the window using the WCS or auto tool measure or manually in that section of the control but they dont effect the observed tool offset of the tool in position in the turret. Do I need to manually load the tool offset somehow in MDI? I tried that using T1D1 but doesnt do anything.

So far Im looking at the machine position in Jog or MDI, every other control Ive used shows the offset thats been set for a tool in any mode. Is it possible that the 840C only shows the offset when youre in auto mode when the offset is called in a program? It does not work in MDI, see photo below.

Attachments

• offsets.jpg
    offsets.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 25
After further head banging I see that if you program a move in MDI, say: T01D01 GO X.850 and make a cut the cut is spot on .850. Same with Z. This is after setting the tool using the tool eye using the same offset settings as the machine came with.

So it looks like I could run programs. However, the display does not reflect the WCS offset position. There must be a parameter that can change the main position display from the machine coordinates to the actual offset coordinates. I cant find it in the parameter list and dont see mention of it online anywhere. On my 840D, I can just hit a softkey. Anyone know what that parameter might be?

I do see a few references to a "TMS" screen in the 840c where you supposedly can change out of machine coordinates but thats not in my manual and no one seems to be able to give the exact name for the acronym. I looked far and wide for anything resembling that in the control and didnt see anything. Anyone know what the TMS screen is?

So I was able to go into Setting Data, general data, work coordinate display, it was set to no, you can reset to yes by pressing the select button. That makes the position display change to WCS if you're in MDI and program T01D01 G0 X Z. Still can't figure out if its possible to change the position to WCS in jog mode.

Have you tried steps 4-8 from the below???

Resetting maximum spindle speed after doing the above (Otherwise it's set to 50RPM max)
1. Press "Machine" button
2. Press "Setting Data" button
3. Press "Axis/Spindle Limitations" button
4. Move to maximum RPM & set to the correct speed 4200rpm for 18s or 4800rpm for 15S
5. Press "Machine" button
6. Press "Setting Data" button
7. Press "General Data" button
8. Scroll to Work Co-Ordinate Display & press "Select" or "Input" button to set to yes

Sadly I probably can't offer much more help until we are allowed out & about again, so I can go into the shop & turn on a lathe & have a look. I know on the later 810d/840d controls there is a WCS/MCS button/softkey that changes the values on the display, but on the 840c I can't remember as even though I've run them for many many years it's been a while since I've run one on a daily basis

I do see a few references to a "TMS" screen in the 840c where you supposedly can change out of machine coordinates but thats not in my manual and no one seems to be able to give the exact name for the acronym. I looked far and wide for anything resembling that in the control and didnt see anything. Anyone know what the TMS screen is?

Have you tried steps 4-8 from the below???

Resetting maximum spindle speed after doing the above (Otherwise it's set to 50RPM max)
1. Press "Machine" button
2. Press "Setting Data" button
3. Press "Axis/Spindle Limitations" button
4. Move to maximum RPM & set to the correct speed 4200rpm for 18s or 4800rpm for 15S
5. Press "Machine" button
6. Press "Setting Data" button
7. Press "General Data" button
8. Scroll to Work Co-Ordinate Display & press "Select" or "Input" button to set to yes

Yes, I did that but still only see the WCS displayed in MDI after I load a tool and send it somewhere. As soon as you move out of MDI to jog it reverts to MCS. I assume when running a program as well but haven't tried that yet. Cant imagine why anyone would want the MCS position displayed as default. There must be some easy way to change it.

In jog mode, if you press the overstore softkey can you input MDI commands or does it only have spindle rpm/direction??? I remember figuring out what you are after for one of our guys but I can't remember how we did it in the end, possibly with a G54 command & calling a tool & offset

No, I only have spindle speed direction. I did find a mention in an older 840C manual (1993) of a feature called "Setting Bits" under Setting Data menu which has parameter SD 5001 bit 0 = 1. If set to 1 it changes the actual value display from MCS to WCS. Problem is my 840c is a later version (1996) that doesnt have numerical parameters in the Setting Data tab. I also did a global search in the control and that didn't find it anywhere either.

Terrible control implementation to not be able to change this. Really makes the machine dangerous (or next to impossible) to run in manual mode and for setup.
Anyone else have this machine and have the same issue? How do you deal with it?

Last edited:
Here are some images of the control showing the problem. Images of the machine in MDA showing the WCS after commanding a tool and a move. (Commanding a tool only does not change the display from MCS to WCS, a position change command must also be issued). Moving out of MDA cancels the WCS display.

My machines setting data page. No numerical parameters are available, just the Yes/No option to display WCS, which is never active in JOG.

Searching around, I see a few other Hyundai HIT owners have the exact same problem but I see no sign any of them ever found a solution.

Attachments

• mdascreen.jpg
    mdascreen.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 17
  • settingdata.jpg
    settingdata.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 14
  • settingdata2.jpg
    settingdata2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 14
Well, I sent an inquiry to Hyundai support and here's the response:

"Hello Mark
I got your information from the team at Hyundai Wia.
I have attached the response I received from the Service team at Hyundai.

Siemens 840C control is designed that way. There’s no way you can switch to WCS with Jog mode."

I guess that settles it, hyundai decided to be different from every other machine builder and not allow the machine to be used in JOG mode for anything useful. Oh well, should have asked them before I moved it into the shop. At least it was cheap!

FWIW, I did load and run a test program earlier today and it works fine for that. WCS displays normally while in AUTO, then switches back to MCS after you leave.

Back