What's new
What's new

Setting up Fadal 4020

sidetrack50

Aluminum
Hello everyone,

I finally got my 3 phase up and running with power to my Fadal. I need some advice on a few things. It's been a long time since I ran a Fadal (30 yrs) and even then I only ran and programmed it, never set one up or maintenance.

1. Need to hook up the coolant pump (has 3 plugs)

2. Need to remove the 3/4" shafts holding up the counter weight (shafts are bent from the weight)

3. Need to remove the blocking under the spindle so I guess I need to jog the Z-axis up a little (will machine move positions when I turn on the power?

4. I've seen a lot of manuals online but not sure what the best ones to purchase, need one for maintenance and programming.

5. I found two 1" drain plugs in a small bag, for oil?

6. There was a air hose apparatus inside the machine not sure what it is.

Any help is appreciated, Mel

Attachments

• fadal pump.jpg
    fadal pump.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 394
  • fadal air hose unit.jpg
    fadal air hose unit.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 255
  • fadal drain plugs.jpg
    fadal drain plugs.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 214
  • fadal blocking.jpg
    fadal blocking.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 350
  • fadal counter shafts.jpg
    fadal counter shafts.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 251
Hello everyone,

I finally got my 3 phase up and running with power to my Fadal. I need some advice on a few things. It's been a long time since I ran a Fadal (30 yrs) and even then I only ran and programmed it, never set one up or maintenance.

1. Need to hook up the coolant pump (has 3 plugs)

No, there is 2 pumps and a "Thing"... No idea what it is.. Pick your pump.

2. Need to remove the 3/4" shafts holding up the counter weight (shafts are bent from the weight)

I don't think they are bent, I think the only stuck them in about an inch.. One
SHOULD go all the way through, the other almost all the way, and they should
be 1.375" diameter.

After you fire it up, raise the head and remove the blocking.. Then lower the head to raise
the weight and take out the shafts.

3. Need to remove the blocking under the spindle so I guess I need to jog the Z-axis up a little (will machine move positions when I turn on the power?

If it does, you've got a problem.. Fire it up with the E-stop pressed.. That way, when you
clear the E-stop you'll be standing right at the control if something happens (it shouldn't),
instead of trying to run around from the back of the machine.

4. I've seen a lot of manuals online but not sure what the best ones to purchase, need one for maintenance and programming.

You do not BUY Fadal manuals.. They are FREE, from many different sources...
FadalCNC has them under technical docs, as does ITS and a few others.

5. I found two 1" drain plugs in a small bag, for oil?

6. There was a air hose apparatus inside the machine not sure what it is.

I'm going to say that the previous owners were doing something funky with chip evacuation..
Also probably why you have 2 pumps and a "thing" in your coolant tank. If you had thru coolant
one of the pumps would be quite a bit larger and running on 220V.

AND MAKE SURE YOUR TRANSFORMER IS TAPPED PROPERLY, and then check the output and make sure it
is also correct. Less than 240, more than 220.

The third thing by the pumps is I believe an oil skimmer. Don’t know why you have 2 pumps? The bars probably are not bent but like the other guy said just not inserted all the way through.

Seems like you got a fixture plate in the table with it. I personally would pull it up and check for rust under it.

Well the thing is a belt skimmer. You can see the broken belt laying there. I've owned three Fadal's and never seen the plugs. The pins for the counterweight are not OEM and smaller in dia. than they should be and they should have a flange that bolts to the casting. They aren't bent. Just raise the head and pull out the blocks and then lower the head just enough to pull the pins out. I do have a Fadal that has two pumps from the factory. But It looks like maybe they set one up for a wash down hose maybe?

I cant see from your pics for sure. But Is there what looks to be a quick connect push in air fitting on the right side of the spindle housing? If so that would explain the two pumps. What year is the machine?

Thanks for the reply, yeah two pump motors and a another small motor with a belt type pulley. So I would need two people to start the machine? One at the switch panel and at the front at the E-stop?

Yeah the skimmer sounds about right considering the belt which is broken and the belt type pulley that's on it. The extra pump for wash makes sense, do you know what the other unit is with the two air hoses mounted to it is?

Yeah the skimmer sounds about right considering the belt which is broken and the belt type pulley that's on it. The extra pump for wash makes sense, do you know what the other unit is with the two air hoses mounted to it is?

That's just some air hose setup someone came up with. What about the push in fitting on the spindle housing? Is there one? Does it have a 10000 rpm spindle?

Thanks for the reply, yeah two pump motors and a another small motor with a belt type pulley. So I would need two people to start the machine? One at the switch panel and at the front at the E-stop?

No, That is why you push the e-stop in the first time.. That way nothing happens when you flip the switch
and hit the big green button. Just for your own piece of mind.

that's what you get when bozo the clown half way preps one for moving.
they all came from the factory with counter weight bars and bracket for the zaxis.
unfortunately many of them got discarded or used elsewhere over the years.

OK, those are better pics. There is a push in fitting on the spindle housing. Thus the two pumps. The one with the red hose will be your main pump. The other will go only to the fitting on the spindle housing. I will post some pics of the setup.
There are two plug ins on the back of the machine. It matters which pump goes where. I'm out of the shop for the day, but can verify which goes where on Monday.

KIMG0332[1].jpgKIMG0333[1].jpgKIMG0336[1].jpg

First pic shows both pumps. Left pump main. right pump to the spindle housing. Second pic shows the right pump with push in tube fitting to the spindle housing. Last pic you can see the tube coming out of the spindle housing from the pump on the right. This is on a 2001 with a 10,000 rpm spindle

When you say push in do you mean it comes apart like a air hose? Is this for more coolant when machining?
By push in I mean where the hose connects to the fitting at the spindle housing you just push the hose in and that's it. To release push on the face of the fitting where the hose goes in and pull on the hose to release it from the fitting. The hose going to the housing cools the spindle housing. Nothing Else

Back