What's new
What's new

Setting Up Thru-Coolant Lathe Toolholders Okuma LU

Camputer

Aluminum
We recently bought some Iscar JetCut OD turn holders to use on our Okuma LU400ex. We also got some braided hoses to plumb them up with, but I can't figure out where to screw them into the turret. I thought there'd be threads behind the brass ball coolant nozzle to use, but it doesn't look like that's the case. I called Gosiger and was told that there should be some threaded holes plugged with set screws for this on the turret. I thought I found them, but I removed a set screw, turned on coolant, and nothing came out, so now I'm at a loss. Does anyone know how this is supposed to be done?

Yeah, I looked at those. They don't offer one in the thread size that fits this hose. We could honestly make one ourselves pretty easily, but I feel like I'm just being stupid and there's a hole in the turret for this already? I'm admittedly not a lathe guy. Or at least I wasn't until things rapidly changed a couple months ago. :willy_nilly:

Yeah, I looked at those. They don't offer one in the thread size that fits this hose. We could honestly make one ourselves pretty easily, but I feel like I'm just being stupid and there's a hole in the turret for this already? I'm admittedly not a lathe guy. Or at least I wasn't until things rapidly changed a couple months ago. :willy_nilly:

I would contact QPM. I remember something in their catalog that said if you have an idea let us know. So they may be able to make something for you.

That's what I did. One day work was slow, so I built about 500 pieces. Different configurations. Long nozzle, short, threaded ID, threaded OD, barbed OF, 45°, 90°, squished tip. A bunch. Good investment of a few hours. Made some out of brass, and didn't care for them, so I went with 304, all good.

R

I called Gosiger and was told that there should be some threaded holes plugged with set screws for this on the turret. I thought I found them, but I removed a set screw, turned on coolant, and nothing came out, so now I'm at a loss. Does anyone know how this is supposed to be done?

Just to be sure you didn't miss something, or should I say, stating the obvious. When you had the screw taken out and tested for coolant, you had the turret in the active position right?

I have a Mori lathe that has a coolant port plugged on the Z plus or right side of the turret. Unless you get your head way around the back/right side of the turret you'd never see them there. They are what I would describe as a cross drilled hole to the main or usual outlet port that feeds a mounted tool block. I think I have a BMT 65 turret if that means anything.

Maybe try running the coolant with nothing mounted in the active tool position and see where the coolant exits from. Then look for plugged holes that could be crossed drilled from there.

Thanks for the help guys. Just to clear it up, I wasn't the one to test out the coolant hole, the operator did and reported back to me that nothing came out so it's totally possible that it wasn't checked right. I was living vicariously through him in that last post to avoid writing a wall of text explaining the situation.

Anywho, later that day I accidentally found the exact threaded brass ball fitting that I needed in a drawer by another machine. It's better to be lucky I guess.

Back