Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Mistakes in using G50 and G92 are probably the #1 cause of crashes or scrap parts on machines that do not have work coordinate offset capability.
    yes they are especially on those old numeric controls ( you remember the big 2 foot wide by 5 foot tall controls) that were on the old big H.E.S. machines. Then re retrofitted them to Fagor controls and the owner insisted on still using the old style g50s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    If all you know is Fanuc, I guess so. But if you want to talk real controls, G92 is just as common with lathes as it is with machining centers. And it's more basic and reliable. There's not really any need to add more and more and more crap on top of something that works fine. KISS.
    My comment was related to the use of G92, which is the alternate, equivalent to G50. Accordingly, its irrelevant whether the control uses G92, or G50 to set the Coordinate System. Most of us have progressed past the use of G92/G50 where the control is equipped with Workshift Offset programming. As you say, KISS.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    That's normal. It's called Machine Shop "Maturity". Puberty is like using a VMC, growing up is using Turning Centres, Maturity is running multi axis Turning Centres, and old age is the same hopefully--not doing shit until I want to.

R
    C'mon dude.... try using a wire edm. Everything is out the window then, easy (for me as I have used them forever), but get a "strictly" mill/lathe/multi guy and see how fast they get it...

4. Likes NAST555 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    C'mon dude.... try using a wire edm. Everything is out the window then, easy (for me as I have used them forever), but get a "strictly" mill/lathe/multi guy and see how fast they get it...
    It's two freaking axes! (I know, I know, it's a joke! )

6. Likes litlerob1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Yeah, you can't really be serious. Sinkers can be a little tricky knowing the condition and requirements and making custom electrodes, but Wire???

R

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Mistakes in using G50 and G92 are probably the #1 cause of crashes or scrap parts on machines that do not have work coordinate offset capability.
    Probably. And what that tells us is, some people should not be running nc machines The concept is SIMPLE !

Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    Yeah, you can't really be serious. Sinkers can be a little tricky knowing the condition and requirements and making custom electrodes, but Wire???

R
    If you have to deal with a 30+ year old Fanuc wire and a PC based Chinese Moly wire then you realise that standing behind the VMC is your happy place

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NAST555 View Post
    If you have to deal with a 30+ year old Fanuc wire and a PC based Chinese Moly wire then you realise that standing behind the VMC is your happy place
    I'm sure that's true. But the statement can be seen from both sides. I could be standing in front of the Bandit I, wishing I were standing in front of a Sodick.

R

11. Likes NAST555 liked this post