Shaft bending
Close
Login to Your Account

Thread: Shaft bending

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shaft bending

Im trying to turn inconel 718 parts from 45mm down to 18mm, 300 mm in lenght. I turned the rough bar from 45 to 44 and centre it so it was all running true. I grip the 44 part in jaws clock up the tailstock end to under a thou, bring in the tailstock and its still under a thou.

I have tried turning down to 30mm at low cut depth but after getting to 30mm its about 8 thou out once tails removed. After ive machined down to 18mm its about 16 thou out

Anyone got any tips to avoid this happening

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Box tool"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There may be too much stress left in the original shaft, or it's getting "fresh" stress from the cutting process. You may have to thermally stress relief when you get to ~20mm and then finish cut with sharp tools, or do some bending and hope it stays straight for the remaining cutting.

And I note with some amusement your mixing of MM and inch values in your post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’ve similar trouble with long 303SS PARTS. We had to bend them back to straight. It’s pretty easy ounce you get the hang of it. Ours were only .300” where it needed to be bent back so we just used the back end of a tool holder in our manual lathe to push against the part. Used a indicator on far side. 18mm inconel is gunna be a fair bit more difficult to bend tho lol