What's new
What's new

Manual Pulse Generator (MPG) - produces compensated motion?

BobM3

Cast Iron
I'm trying to evaluate the backlash on my VMC tables. I know the manufacturer compensates the commands for backlash and stores them somewhere. When using the MPG, are the commands compensated or is the compensation only used when running programs?

Everyone that's ever came in to do backlash tests has said do not use the MPG.
You want an incremental program to make the moves for you.

.....When using the MPG, are the commands compensated or is the compensation only used when running programs?

Most controls comp on any reversal, MPG, jog button, programmed motion etc. There may be some that do not comp in MPG or manual moves but I have never come across one. A control that did not comp reversals in MPG moves would be an absolute bastard to dial into a bore for setting fixture offset.

A control that did not comp reversals in MPG moves would be an absolute bastard to dial into a bore for setting fixture offset.
I'm going to show my ignorance of CNC operations here and ask why the old-school practice of dealing with backlash by always approaching your mark from the same direction would not work equally well when using uncompensated MPG moves. Educate me?

Okay, so maybe my "absolute bastard" description was a bit much. Yes working like a BP with no DRO could be done. Not as quick or handy as being able to forget about unidirection approach and just sweep something in though.

Back