What's new
What's new

Share your secret weapon! (Favorite milling tools - end mills, drills, indexable)

mutiny

Cast Iron
I love experimenting with tooling -- sometimes to a financial detriment -- and thought it would be fun to hear from others on their favorite tools.

A particular tool might be one of your favorites because you get great finishes or great MRR, or maybe it lasts longer than everything else, or maybe it's useful in a bunch of materials, or maybe it solves a particular challenge. Whatever it is, I'd love to hear about it.

Bonus points for links, part numbers, machine(s) you use it in, application data, etc. I don't know who's giving out these bonus points, but trust me that you'll get them.

I'll start with a few of my favorites.

Right now I'm using all of these in a Brother Speedio S1000X1 with a 16k Big+ spindle.

Helical 48115 - 1/4" 3 flute for aluminum/non-ferrous. Uncoated carbide. 40deg variable pitch. Everyone needs a nice, generic 1/4" end mill and this one is it for me. It's an absolute workhorse and is good at basically everything... roughing, finishing, slotting, even plunging on occasion. Gives good floor finishes and decent wall finishes, more than good enough for non-critical surfaces. I haven't found another 1/4" that is as generically good in aluminum. If you're mostly milling something like 6061, skip the ZrN coating and just get uncoated. Gives better finishes, polished carbide barely wears in alu anyways, and you save a few bucks.

Big Kaiser FCR - Integrated BBT30 toolholder, 25mm, 3 inserts DLC-coated for aluminum/non-ferrous. This thing should come with every Speedio with a Big+ spindle. Hyper rigid design with relatively short gauge length but decent reach. Great metal removal for flatter parts. I run it at 10,400rpm, 270ipm, 0.65in woc, 0.2in doc - about 35 cubic inches/min at 60-70% spindle load. It just sounds great too. Biggest downside is the chips it produces take up a lot of volume compared to a solid carbide roughing tool.

Fraisa MFC 98107 - 1/4" R0.03 4 flute, I use it in 304 stainless. This tool is just cool. MFC stands for multi-functional cutter and they have a bunch of variants, but this particular 98107 line rocks. In particular, it can be used as a high-feed mill, zipping around at 340ipm. I have some shallow pockets to rough out and the cutting parameters that Fraisa gives you blows everything else I've found out of the water. On a machine like a Speedio that can maintain the feed rate, it's an awesome tool for this particular application. (It's also good at basically everything else.)

I have a speedio, but do mostly rapid turn around in small qty, so I buy various tools in small numbers as needed. One I use all the time in Aluminum, is the 2" ripper mill. A lot of those other high end tools would be great to try, but if there's not a "buy it now" button, it ain't happening.

Oh I like threads like this!

Kennametal Harvi I and III series -
excellent in both steels and superalloys. Excellent surface finishes and tool life. My new go to for ferrous or hard applications.

Kennametal Mill 1-10 1" & 2" indexable cutters -
swap inserts out depending on material. Polish ground inserts leave very fine surface on aluminum faces. For my longest reach roughing applications I use the 2" on a long face mill arbor. I think i can get 4.7" of reach for deep profiling with awesome rigidity. I am very used to running hi-feed mills so translating this approach to aluminum has saved me needing to get long ass end mills. Until now. I need to buy a small indexable with very long reach and I haven't decided on which one yet. Like 1" or less that can do 5" or so.

Helical Solutions/Harvey Tools Reduced Shank Long Reach Cutters
- I stock these in a variety of sizes and XD lengths for all of my long reach applications. WHen I say ALL, I mean ALL long reach applications (unless I am using my 2" face mill for that as stated above). FOR THE VALUE I have not found a better tool for the job. Similar tools from MSC are easily 2X the price that these guys offer. They have them for both ferrous and non-ferrous in any length you could need. I just used a 1/8" that was 15XD and it performed swimmingly. No other company I have found offers such a range of sizes and lengths in an easy to search catalogue. The 5/64" 10XD end mill has been getting alot of use lately. Good rigidity, small cutter, small spaces...it just works.

Helical "helical" 1/4" chamfer mills -
For years I have been using 1/2" chamfer mills for no real reason. Force of habit? I don't need that big of a chamfer usually so why use a bigger cutter that isnt as nimble? I switched to their helical flute 1/4" and now I chamfer all features if possible, instead of manual finishing. Especially where the feature bumps up against a wall, I can chamfer almost all the length of it (minus the radius of the tool).

Helical Solutions 40deg Variable Flute 3 fl - Workhorse for alumunum roughing. I don't even usually use ones with a chipbreaker. I have some chip breaker ones to test soon though. These are my main roughers. I can push them harder than most other tools I have found IN THE PRICE RANGE. Destiny Tools average almost 2X the price, thus I haven't tested them. Value for dollar this tool cannot be beat IMO. I dunno what people who say "Helical roughers suck" are talking about because that has not been my experience.

YG1 Alupower 45 Degree mirror finish end mills - True "secret" weapon. These high polish end mills leave the BEST surface finish in aluminum that I have found, bar none. I am talking mirror finishes straight off the machine. I started a thread about this not that long ago and other members were like "yea those are some sick finishes". IDK if it is the polished flutes or what, this tool KILLS. I just stocked up on smaller diameters and the result is the same. Anyone looking for primo aluminum surface finishes, look no further. THey are cheap too! Sure, a PCD tool will get you better finishes, but at what cost? On the hunt - world's best aluminum finishing endmill

2021 Wish List
- more tool holders! Specifically milling chucks/shrink fit/hydraulic holders. Premium holders for our applications make a noticeable difference. Aesthetics are a big factor in our work and getting the best finishes is paramount. Something like the Big Kaiser Mega Micro or whatever the crap its called would be sweet.

-Indexable cutters, under 1" for roughing. Preferable with carbide shank, but in reality not necessary. However, when you have a 5/8" cutter sticking out 5"...that carbide shank might make sense. I still haven't found the right long reach indexable, so if you have any ideas let me know.

- I want to sample some face mills like the Korloy series rippers and perhaps some Mitsubishi or Iscar.

- More PCD turning inserts...finish is out of this world.

-Dual contact holders...yes we have Big Plus spindles but very few of our toolholders have dual contact. I would like dual contact for all roughing end mill setups and indexable cutters.

-I would like to try the Kennametal Maximet series end mills for aluminum.

- I want to get into accelerated finishing with barrel cutters but haven't taken the plunge yet. Suggestions?

Suggestions?

The walter WDN10 PCD inserts are the best I've found off the shelf. Something like this with the 0.2MM radius should work great as a finishing tool. If you only finished 6061 with it, you could probably change it out when the replacement machine shows up after the first wears out.

Search results | Walter Tools

Helical 56142, 1/4" ball. I run it in Ti6Al4V, 17-4 H900, and other stainless. It basically lasts until I crash it; I've probably gone through less than one a year over the past five years. I think they make this specific cutter out of Adamantium.

I love experimenting with tooling -- sometimes to a financial detriment -- and thought it would be fun to hear from others on their favorite tools.

A particular tool might be one of your favorites because you get great finishes or great MRR, or maybe it lasts longer than everything else, or maybe it's useful in a bunch of materials, or maybe it solves a particular challenge. Whatever it is, I'd love to hear about it.

Big Kaiser FCR - Integrated BBT30 toolholder, 25mm, 3 inserts DLC-coated for aluminum/non-ferrous. This thing should come with every Speedio with a Big+ spindle. Hyper rigid design with relatively short gauge length but decent reach. Great metal removal for flatter parts. I run it at 10,400rpm, 270ipm, 0.65in woc, 0.2in doc - about 35 cubic inches/min at 60-70% spindle load. It just sounds great too. Biggest downside is the chips it produces take up a lot of volume compared to a solid carbide roughing tool.

I'll 2nd the BK FCR! I bought two of them when I brought the S300/FLEX in (and put one in the R650). Things RIP!
And, significantly faster roughing than an end-mill (even in a Speedio) if the part geometry allows it. Obviously you cant shove it in a tight corner.

Oh I like threads like this!

Kennametal Harvi I and III series -
excellent in both steels and superalloys. Excellent surface finishes and tool life. My new go to for ferrous or hard applications.

Kennametal Mill 1-10 1" & 2" indexable cutters -
swap inserts out depending on material. Polish ground inserts leave very fine surface on aluminum faces. For my longest reach roughing applications I use the 2" on a long face mill arbor. I think i can get 4.7" of reach for deep profiling with awesome rigidity. I am very used to running hi-feed mills so translating this approach to aluminum has saved me needing to get long ass end mills. Until now. I need to buy a small indexable with very long reach and I haven't decided on which one yet. Like 1" or less that can do 5" or so.

Helical Solutions/Harvey Tools Reduced Shank Long Reach Cutters
- I stock these in a variety of sizes and XD lengths for all of my long reach applications. WHen I say ALL, I mean ALL long reach applications (unless I am using my 2" face mill for that as stated above). FOR THE VALUE I have not found a better tool for the job. Similar tools from MSC are easily 2X the price that these guys offer. They have them for both ferrous and non-ferrous in any length you could need. I just used a 1/8" that was 15XD and it performed swimmingly. No other company I have found offers such a range of sizes and lengths in an easy to search catalogue. The 5/64" 10XD end mill has been getting alot of use lately. Good rigidity, small cutter, small spaces...it just works.

Helical "helical" 1/4" chamfer mills -
For years I have been using 1/2" chamfer mills for no real reason. Force of habit? I don't need that big of a chamfer usually so why use a bigger cutter that isnt as nimble? I switched to their helical flute 1/4" and now I chamfer all features if possible, instead of manual finishing. Especially where the feature bumps up against a wall, I can chamfer almost all the length of it (minus the radius of the tool).

Helical Solutions 40deg Variable Flute 3 fl - Workhorse for alumunum roughing. I don't even usually use ones with a chipbreaker. I have some chip breaker ones to test soon though. These are my main roughers. I can push them harder than most other tools I have found IN THE PRICE RANGE. Destiny Tools average almost 2X the price, thus I haven't tested them. Value for dollar this tool cannot be beat IMO. I dunno what people who say "Helical roughers suck" are talking about because that has not been my experience.

YG1 Alupower 45 Degree mirror finish end mills - True "secret" weapon. These high polish end mills leave the BEST surface finish in aluminum that I have found, bar none. I am talking mirror finishes straight off the machine. I started a thread about this not that long ago and other members were like "yea those are some sick finishes". IDK if it is the polished flutes or what, this tool KILLS. I just stocked up on smaller diameters and the result is the same. Anyone looking for primo aluminum surface finishes, look no further. THey are cheap too! Sure, a PCD tool will get you better finishes, but at what cost? On the hunt - world's best aluminum finishing endmill

2021 Wish List
- more tool holders! Specifically milling chucks/shrink fit/hydraulic holders. Premium holders for our applications make a noticeable difference. Aesthetics are a big factor in our work and getting the best finishes is paramount. Something like the Big Kaiser Mega Micro or whatever the crap its called would be sweet.

-Indexable cutters, under 1" for roughing. Preferable with carbide shank, but in reality not necessary. However, when you have a 5/8" cutter sticking out 5"...that carbide shank might make sense. I still haven't found the right long reach indexable, so if you have any ideas let me know.

- I want to sample some face mills like the Korloy series rippers and perhaps some Mitsubishi or Iscar.

-Dual contact holders...yes we have Big Plus spindles but very few of our toolholders have dual contact. I would like dual contact for all roughing end mill setups and indexable cutters.

-I would like to try the Kennametal Maximet series end mills for aluminum.

- I want to get into accelerated finishing with barrel cutters but haven't taken the plunge yet. Suggestions?

I like the idea of the barrel cutters as well, does your software support that? Hypermill is the only one i know of right now that supports those type of cutters and it is a bit pricey investment just for that module, but if you do alot of deep pockets or deep wall finishing it would be well worth it with the time savings.

I'll 2nd the BK FCR! I bought two of them when I brought the S300/FLEX in (and put one in the R650). Things RIP!
And, significantly faster roughing than an end-mill (even in a Speedio) if the part geometry allows it. Obviously you cant shove it in a tight corner.

Yes, this exactly! All my parts are relatively long and flat and we've seen the first significant cycle time reductions in roughing since we got the machine. If you need to mill .2in of aluminum off, I'm not sure there's another tool for the Speedio that's going to do it as well as this one. So much more pleasant to listen to as well...

I like the idea of the barrel cutters as well, does your software support that? Hypermill is the only one i know of right now that supports those type of cutters and it is a bit pricey investment just for that module, but if you do alot of deep pockets or deep wall finishing it would be well worth it with the time savings.

Yes Mastercam now supports Barrel cutters and accelerated finishing with multiaxis. Not sure exactly which toolpaths but I know it is there

Powermill also supports circle segment cutters and has for quite some time. I never got a chance to play with them before leaving that last shop. I'll be back to contribute later - I love learning about new tools!

In my book my number one secret weapon is SolidWorks and Camworks. I can design fixtures and have them made in 1-2 days running parts.

Powermill also supports circle segment cutters and has for quite some time. I never got a chance to play with them before leaving that last shop. I'll be back to contribute later - I love learning about new tools!

I know that Emuge partnered with Hypermill way back when circle segment cutters were coming to market. They were the only guys making them up until recently....as far as price is concerned, they aren't that bad. My distributor has the Emuge ones and they are like $150 for a 10 or 12mm barrel cutter.

I need to research to see what other brands out there are making them. It makes alot of sense for finishing to use these cutters but it seems that it hasn't caught on for a lot of people yet. We aren't a mold shop but we do surfacing work pretty regularly and it takes FOREVER sometimes.

Another "secret weapon" is a tool...but not a cutting tool.

Your CAM workstation is very important. I run a pretty beefy desktop tower for my setup. I think it can do 5Ghz boost and 4.1Ghz standard. Thats fuckin fast sir! The graphics card is a mid range Nvidia (P2200? not 100% sure) and it gets the job done. I was teaching a student running Mastercam on a decent Dell laptop...well needless to say that was a massive pain in the ass. It had integrated graphics which sucks for Mastercam. I simply can't use a damn laptop to do CAD/CAM work anymore.

For my mouse, the Logitech G502 is the top dawg. It is a gaming mouse with programmable buttons, but not so many that it is overwhelming. I run my mouse crazy fast, like 6000DPI. The thing can do 25,000DPI which is insane. Anyone who sits at my desk hates the mouse because it is too fast, but I need it fast to cover 50" of screen real estate. Amazon.com: Logitech G502 HERO High Performance Wired Gaming Mouse, HERO 25K Sensor, 25,600 DPI, RGB, Adjustable Weights, 11 Programmable Buttons, On-Board Memory, PC / Mac: Computers & Accessories

Speaking of screens, do yourself a favor and get dual monitors if you don't already. You will never go back. One screen is Mastercam, the other is Solidworks, Vericut, or Adobe PDF drawings. Either dual monitors or a very wide curved monitor.

3D Connexion mouse - an absolute must. I bought the basic wired version and I actually regret not getting the Enterprise one which has a ton of programmable keys and functions. Especially for 5 axis complex work, a 3D mouse is indispensable and I can't go back! I might upgrade to Enterprise edition and use the smaller one for my house setup. SpaceMouse product line by 3Dconnexion

I personally use the Microsoft wireless keyboard. I like this one because the number pad is detached, so I can place it on my left side, so I can input numbers into fields without taking my hand off my mouse. Saves a ton of extra movement. Just get yourself a keyboard that works for you. Amazon.com: Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard for Business (5KV-00001 ): Computers & Accessories

I recommend an adjustable standing desk. I stand a decent amount and it makes it alot easier to run between the machines and the programming station without expending extra energy sitting down and standing up. Get yourself a good chair too. I use the Ergohuman chairs. Yea...its a $700 chair but I promise you it is worth it! Doesn't have to be that expensive but a decent chair is necessary for sure. Amazon.com: Ergohuman High Back Swivel Chair with Headrest, Black Mesh & Chrome Base: Furniture & Decor

Spend some time thinking about your setup, and upgrade where needed. In the long run the money spent now will pay itself in dividends in the future. Each situation is unique so I don't expect my setup to translate across the board. It is optimal for me and took some trial and error to get everything right. Especially the mouse, I think I tried out 5 mice before I found the ideal one. This mouse is literally the KING of mice in my book

I know that Emuge partnered with Hypermill way back when circle segment cutters were coming to market. They were the only guys making them up until recently....as far as price is concerned, they aren't that bad. My distributor has the Emuge ones and they are like $150 for a 10 or 12mm barrel cutter.

I need to research to see what other brands out there are making them. It makes alot of sense for finishing to use these cutters but it seems that it hasn't caught on for a lot of people yet. We aren't a mold shop but we do surfacing work pretty regularly and it takes FOREVER sometimes.

Others that I know make them are Fraisa, Seco, and Hoffmann Group (Garant).

One thing that I've heard about these sorts of circle segment tools is that the finish isn't always very visually attractive. Since the stepover is so large, you get a technically smooth finish but that looks sort of visually "wavy" because the milling pattern is clearly defined. Whereas with a ball and tiny stepovers, you get a very uniform-looking surface. None of this may matter if there's some post-processing that happens (polishing, for instance) or if you don't care about visual appearance, but if visual appearance off the machine matters, it might be something to be aware of.

For my mouse, the Logitech G502 is the top dawg. It is a gaming mouse with programmable buttons, but not so many that it is overwhelming. I run my mouse crazy fast, like 6000DPI. The thing can do 25,000DPI which is insane. Anyone who sits at my desk hates the mouse because it is too fast, but I need it fast to cover 50" of screen real estate. Amazon.com: Logitech G502 HERO High Performance Wired Gaming Mouse, HERO 25K Sensor, 25,600 DPI, RGB, Adjustable Weights, 11 Programmable Buttons, On-Board Memory, PC / Mac: Computers & Accessories

Great mouse. The only upgrade I'd recommend if you're willing to spend 4x as much is to go with the wireless version with the wireless-charging PowerPlay mouse pad from Logitech. I love getting rid of wires and this combo is awesome. I actually use the G903 instead of the G502, but both are excellent.

3D Connexion mouse - an absolute must. I bought the basic wired version and I actually regret not getting the Enterprise one which has a ton of programmable keys and functions. Especially for 5 axis complex work, a 3D mouse is indispensable and I can't go back! I might upgrade to Enterprise edition and use the smaller one for my house setup. SpaceMouse product line by 3Dconnexion

I'm also waiting for an excuse to get the Enterprise. Currently have the wireless but I just keep it plugged in, so I might as well switch to the wired Enterprise.

Overall great suggestions about computer/desk setup. I'm currently running a "mobile workstation" that's technically a laptop but only lasts for about 45 minutes when it's not plugged in. It's more like a mobile desktop and is very powerful. Idea behind it is that I can bring it out to be next to the machine while I'm working on a new part, but what I'd really like is a sort of remote "terminal" out in the shop that's remotely connected to the same desktop I have in the office.

My favorite weapon is my 6" Starrett 5R flex-scale. Confirm stock, double check spot drills before I commit to the part, use to touch off tools.. +.016", stir coffee, clean the fines out of the cuts of TG and ER collets, pick food out of my teeth, etc etc. 1001 uses!

Also indicators in general. I don't care if the prices quadrupled tomorrow, they still have saved more scrap parts than I can think of! Is the mill vise trammed? Am I on CL of the bore? Confirm really tall parts are parallel to the Z axis. Confirm that broken lathe tool did not knock the turret out of alignment. On the DeVlieg, I leave a drop indicator on my parts the whole time I am machining. Easy to tell if the weldment or casting moved. Also great when clamping twisted weldments on the table, adjustable block on one corner, indicator on top, jack up .008", clamp back to 0, no springing after machining!

Others that I know make them are Fraisa, Seco, and Hoffmann Group (Garant).

One thing that I've heard about these sorts of circle segment tools is that the finish isn't always very visually attractive. Since the stepover is so large, you get a technically smooth finish but that looks sort of visually "wavy" because the milling pattern is clearly defined. Whereas with a ball and tiny stepovers, you get a very uniform-looking surface. None of this may matter if there's some post-processing that happens (polishing, for instance) or if you don't care about visual appearance, but if visual appearance off the machine matters, it might be something to be aware of.

That is my concern as well, I asked Hypermill about that and they said that it was very minimal, may depend on the stepdown amount. I haven't seen a finished part upclose and personal so I can't say for sure. Walter tools has entered that arena so they are becoming more readily available.

Back