What's new
What's new

Sharnoa Tiger 4 - Problem saving to Floppy

TelegramSam

Plastic
Hi all this is my first post. Be gentle. So the shop I work for recently got a Sharnoa milling machine with a Tiger 4 control. I believe the machine originally had a tape reader but was upgraded to a floppy. It's a great machine but for the life of me I can't figure out how to save to a floppy. I can get pretty close and it's probably something dumb I'm over looking. I'm hoping someone can see where I'm going wrong or even just guesses would be helpful.

So I write a program in EDIT, Then I somehow pull up a menu like this
1)edit
2)something
3)disk
4)etc...

And I pick disk

Then I get something like
1)format
2)read
3)save

and maybe some more options. I can choose format (i'm using 1.44 mb ibm formatted disks to start) and maybe something happens or maybe nothing it's hard to tell.

When I choose Save it asks me for a file name. I'm not sure if it's asking me to give the file a name or tell it the name of the program in memory. As far as I know there can only be one program in memory at a time. I've tried entering some random names (program1, abcd, 12345, etc) but I just get an error message.

Also I should note that when we first powered the machine on I was able to boot the OS from a 1.44mb disk that was ibm formatted (or at least was when it came out of the box). I have the controller manual but it only makes reference to the tape reader.

Again all shots in the dark and ridicule are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Hey TS. Came across your post searching for parts for our Sharnoa Tiger5. I worked at Sharnoa in Michigan for about 10 years but that was 20 years ago, so my Tiger4 memory is a bit cloudy.

IBM-formatted disks have to be re-formatted in the Sharnoa floppy drive to in order to read/write at the control, although it sounds like you've already tried this? I can't remember if you're supposed to get a confirmation of format complete.

The disk operation text, including error messages, are stored in the machine's "canned cycle". What error message do you get when saving? Have you tried any of the other options, like SET DATE or SAVE CNC SOFTWARE?

Back