What's new
What's new

Sharp SV2412 air lines and fittings

• Thread starter guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 1,391
G

I have 2 Sharp machines that use metric push-to-connect air fittings. 6 and 8mm OD tubing.

The machines are 15 years old now, and I seem to be dealing with more and more leaks every year, I'd like to go through and replace everything.

My confusion is in the fittings. They are all 1/8" size threads, but they are available in BSPT, BSPP, and "universal". To add to the confusion I have also found 6mm fittings with 1/8" NPT.

I've used the 6mm universal elbows from mcmaster and they do not leak, but I could save a little money if I knew what the threads really are.

So on Taiwan machines that use metric air tubing, is one thread considered the "standard" that you would normally expect to see? Or is it a total crapshoot?

I've ordered a couple elbows with BSPT threads, and I'm thinking that's what they typically used. There are members here who have a lot more maintenance experience than me so I'm hoping for some insight so at least my guesses have a chance of being correct!

I wish I could help but I replaced air lines only on my old Sharp, all the fittings stayed put.

I had two German woodworking machines, a Dimter optimizing saw and a Dimter figerjoint machine as well as a English resaw, and all of them had BSPT fittings on their pneumatics.

Stuart

BSPT is the most common type when the tube size is 6mm or larger, but by no means a standard.

In the past, I've had good service buying pneumatic stuff from this place back when it was called NW Pneumatics.....

Northwest Automation Products

I don't know if they changes owners or just names. It has been several years since I last bought there.

I bet on BSPT, that's what I ordered from mcmaster today.

I had another leak last night right before I went home. Came in today and thought no problem, I have an 8mm straight union, I can mend it for now. So I cut the tube, and realized too late it is 10mm. Lol.

There's a Parker store- (MFCP) close to me, they had a 10mm union so I was back up in a half hour or so. :D

I feel your pain. I have a Sharp, and 4 other CNC machines. Seems I am always patching air lines. I have bags of unions on hand. And rolls of tubes.
Not sure about you but mIne always spring leaks at the worst times.

I just had apin hole blew on the 6.5x10mm hose yesterday (the one that goes into the reserve tank).

this is the fitting i replaced it with. The factory fitting thread is either 1.4mm or 18tpi (both thread gauge fit pretty nicely). I have no information on the fitting I used because I found it in a bucket full of fittings. There's only one identifying mark (pictured) on it.

Anyway, it will fit 3/8 ID poly lines that you can get at homedepot.

Attachments

• IMG_20200712_095906.jpg
    IMG_20200712_095906.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 21

Back