What's new
What's new

Sherline 5000 cnc retrofit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pressperson

Plastic
Hi all,

My first post here. I'm interested in Sherline 5000 high precision cnc retrofitting. Which way to choose?
One way is to use stepper motors and gecko package (power supply, driver, etc).
Second way is to build a servo system with feedback (something like teknic's all-in-one brushless servomotors with C10 board).
Regarding the lead screws, thought to replace factory screws with Haydon-Kerk with anti backlash nuts.
Headstock might be changed for higher rpms and ER collets or maybe even VFD spindle. Total budget is around 2-3k.
I'm absolutely new to cnc machining, but considering myself as a handy person. So, I'm not interested in purchasing complete system, I'd like to build it.
I'm trying to find the way to do small, very detailed sculptured relief in brass or copper (see attachments). Sometimes engravings on steel.
Sorry if here's somewhere obvious answers on my newbie's questions and please point me to these answers.
I'll try to post pictures of my results, although it definitely will be a slow process.

Thank you
Igor.

In my opinion you should consider a much more serious mill, Sherline 5000 is really a toy that neither has the precision or rigidity to do what you intend. Why not find an older, solid mill, or even an old CNC mill?
For this type of project servo is an overkill. You can get a full stepper kit for a few hundred dollars and this should be adequate for a small mill.

Hi all,

My first post here. I'm interested in Sherline 5000 high precision cnc retrofitting. Which way to choose?
One way is to use stepper motors and gecko package (power supply, driver, etc).
Second way is to build a servo system with feedback (something like teknic's all-in-one brushless servomotors with C10 board).
Regarding the lead screws, thought to replace factory screws with Haydon-Kerk with anti backlash nuts.
Headstock might be changed for higher rpms and ER collets or maybe even VFD spindle. Total budget is around 2-3k.
I'm absolutely new to cnc machining, but considering myself as a handy person. So, I'm not interested in purchasing complete system, I'd like to build it.
I'm trying to find the way to do small, very detailed sculptured relief in brass or copper (see attachments). Sometimes engravings on steel.
Sorry if here's somewhere obvious answers on my newbie's questions and please point me to these answers.
I'll try to post pictures of my results, although it definitely will be a slow process.

Thank you
Igor.

easiest to get Sherline CNC upgrades which is what i did. it is a toy cnc and as a learning machine it is ok.
backlash compensation is a struggle as well as vibration chatter. for a hobby machine and to learn i have Sherline CNC lathe and mill. it will never be a machine for high production or high precision, obviously any cnc you can pick up off a bench is not heavy enough for any heavy duty stuff ever. makes a good toy. like a modern day erector set that you can play with and make things with.

That is very much a hobby machine and one of the brands forbidden from discussion here. Most likely the thread will be locked.

If you use your title as a google search term I'm sure you will find several forums with the information you seek.

That is very much a hobby machine and one of the brands forbidden from discussion here. Most likely the thread will be locked.

If you use your title as a google search term I'm sure you will find several forums with the information you seek.
sure they are toy machines and for hobby work. not sure why it is a forbidden item to discuss. like nobody seriously worried a Sherline CNC is going to be taken as a full time CNC production machine. kind of paranoid to not be allowed to talk about toy CNC hobby machines in my opinion.
they talk all the time about getting kids interested in CNC machining. in my opinion giving a teenager a Sherline CNC is better than giving a toy like a Iphone or Ipad. at least with the Sherline you can learn something maybe help to get a job or at least interest in a job. not play video games all the time.

Using that argument is akin to saying that hobbyists develop some truly amazing techniques to solve problems, therefore let them post what they want, that some of the techniques may be useful. The site would become unmanageable.

...Plus this is Don's playground. He sets the rules.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back