What's new
What's new

Should I use a mist collector

matoind

Plastic
I am using a bar feeder with a CNC lathe with soluble cutting oil. For long durations, the machine door is always closed although the inside of the machine is filled with mist.

I want to know whether I should be using the mist collector in the situation. I am worried that the consumption of cutting fluid might increase.

I agree, vent it. The first time I employed mist cooling/lube I had the doors open. Felt okay but an hour or 2 later developed a nasty headache.
Not to mention atomized oil is not good for your lungs.
So yes extract or use a fan at least IMHO.

We have added mist collectors to about 30 of our machines at the shop. 100% yes! The excess coolant goes back into the machine, the only coolant you "lose" is what ends up in the filters. But you were probably losing it anyways, usually out the chip conveyor where it ends up EVERYWHERE! Including your lungs.

Money well spent!

Anything that reduces mist is a help. I even machine away the outer part of my soft jaws so they act a lot less like a radial blade blower. It does make a big difference. Coolant direction and flow also helps. Try to keep spray coolant away from the chuck face if possible. I even pinch the copper tubes on some turret positions to cut down the flow to only what is needed.

I had a Royal for a while mounted on top of my mill. I got rid of it in favor of vent fans. The mist collector was not quiet so cut down on me being able to hear what was going on inside the machine. Vent fans are quieter. Just something to keep in mind. You might be able to duct it to be away from the machine if you need to hear well.

I recently retired from the Army and am pretty much full time in the shop now. Wifey insisted I do something about the coolant cloud in the shop. I can tell the difference!

365620C1-73EB-4FAE-8716-39FB28345A2D.jpg
On my turning center.

827E1276-579D-425F-916A-9A9137EA048B.jpg
On my machining center. It helps, but I need to close off the huge enclosure gap near the tool carousel.

A6DF348E-A263-4367-B294-5216FD7CCB5F.jpg
Part coolant blow off station.

Sorry for the sideways pictures. Damn archaic forum picture attachments.

I recently retired from the Army and am pretty much full time in the shop now. Wifey insisted I do something about the coolant cloud in the shop. I can tell the difference!

View attachment 318297
On my turning center.

View attachment 318298
On my machining center. It helps, but I need to close off the huge enclosure gap near the tool carousel.

View attachment 318299
Part coolant blow off station.

Sorry for the sideways pictures. Damn archaic forum picture attachments.

How do you like the blow off station? Do you feel that it's worth the price?

We have one of those at my shop. Before I tell you where it is now, I’ll say that we got it to clean off saw chips before the parts went into our robot cells. For that, it sucked, and ended up in our boneyard. I’m hoping the guy who posted the pic had a different outcome, cause I know it wasn’t cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it. I can tell the difference when I use this vs having to blow parts off in the machine. I’m covered in coolant when I blow the parts off in the machine. There is much less on my arms (and I’m assuming in my lungs) when I use the MiJet. I give the blow gun a blip of air to get the turbine spinning before I blow off my parts. Just my experience. Sounds like you could possibly get a used one cheap...

Back