What's new
What's new

Shrink fit broken tool removal?

Lock

Aluminum
Does anyone know of a tool to remove cutters that break below the nose of the holder?

I don't use shrink holders, but can't you just pull the pullstud and push it out?

Theoretically, but its screaming hot while you are trying to do that. Sorta tried that method but didnt get anywhere...

Pull the stud out, push a rod through the backside, keep light pressure on rod and heat the holder with propane torch until it pops out.

Wasn't there a thread a little while back about this?

Make an adapter for a grease fitting that goes into the pullstud, heat the tool and inject grease to force it out.

If it's broken off cleanly it will fall out if you heat it upside down.

If it doesn't come out freely then it's probably scarred up the bore of the holder where it broke, in which case the holder is probably ruined anyway.

Wasn't there a thread a little while back about this?

Make an adapter for a grease fitting that goes into the pullstud, heat the tool and inject grease to force it out.

Nothing like an explosive grease fire to shoot your hot carbide shank across the shop...

Seriously, don't do this. Manual force only, I'd try the rod and hot holder first. But make sure you have a plan for where the shank will fall, and especially make sure it's not your hands unless you're wearing welding gloves.

Nothing like an explosive grease fire to shoot your hot carbide shank across the shop...

Seriously, don't do this. Manual force only, I'd try the rod and hot holder first. But make sure you have a plan for where the shank will fall, and especially make sure it's not your hands unless you're wearing welding gloves.

I snorted water out of my nose. Now I have to clean my desk. Thanks. :D

I was going to suggest removing the pull stud and filling with black powder. Re-install pull stud and then heat. I guarantee the broken tool will come out... :)

Yeah, I'd opt for the manual method first. Heating the holder then injecting grease is definitely not the best idea.

Refer to post #20 on this thread broken tool stuck in heat shrink holder

One more bad idea... heat it up and push it back down into the tool holder. I had a junior machinist that did that with broken off carbide endmills. I couldn't figure out why I was getting a bad surface finish with a 3/16" ball endmill after he swapped out a broken tool for a new one. Surfacing an injection mold at 12,000 RPM. Turns out he had a couple of broken off endmill shanks that he pushed through the collet and left in the toolholder because it was "more accurate" than taking the collet out of the collet nut. He went on to a different career with Home Depot selling toilets if I recall correctly.

If this is a CAT40 holder, a short piece of rod can be driven from the back with a 5/8"-11 screw.

Don't burn yourself. Assume every piece inside the holder is piping hot, and take your time. It might require several heating cycles.

Eric you could build and market a 5/8-11 collar with a threaded hole in the middle, then use screw pressure and fewer hands.

OR an adapter for the end of a .45 into the back of the Holder. Literally just use the bullet, and shoot it out. Quit messing around with black powder. Easy fix.

R

Back